TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2968 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1110 111 112 113 114149 Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:54 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, whatever floats your boat :) Btw, the Aussies take Sky comms as far as I know. It's Sky New Zealand (funnily enough) that uses the BBC.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Oh, I thought the Australians were sticking.

Canucks it is, then.

I did see the paradox of Sky New Zealand, which was enough for a chuckle earlier in the week.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

RtN wrote:
Hence the 'other places' bit.

Although the TV coverage thread is usually one of the better ones, anyway.

Oh yes. Any driver/team thread is a bundle of laughs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:18 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

FWIW, I checked out the qualy highlights reel on the BBC Sport site, and in the few minutes that it lasted, it was abundantly clear why Ben was picked for the lead commentator role.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Watching the BBC TV highlights and Ben and DC are brilliant. DC has really come out of his shell.

-------------------------------

phil1993 wrote:
RtN wrote:
Hence the 'other places' bit.

Although the TV coverage thread is usually one of the better ones, anyway.

Oh yes. Any driver/team thread is a bundle of laughs.

At least there are some diamonds amongst the shite; someone has named the new Ferrari 'Clifford', which I find brilliant.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:26 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Croft was rather shouty at the end of the sessions, up to the point where my mom called him annoying.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

RtN wrote:
At least there are some diamonds amongst the shite; someone has named the new Ferrari 'Clifford', which I find brilliant.

Oh absolutely. I'm tempted to steal that for a column.

I love the sheer fanboyism over there; it's why I like it over here because you can pretty much say anything about a driver/team and people will be reasonable. Over there any conversation about Hamilton or Alonso goes back to 2007, Vettel isn't good blah blah.

Watched the BBC highlights. Quite good, Ben Edwards is just fantastic. Until I get Sky on the TV, I'll be watching BBC's races live (well, and for simplicity too). Not too keen on Gary Anderson, although I think I'm being irrational solely that his Autosport articles are frequently, shall we say, shite?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I only managed to catch the Q1 highlights of the BBC coverage but based on that I prefer Crfoft/Brundle over Edwards/Coulthard.

Something about Edwards/Coulthard just didn't seem to click somehow while Croft/Brundle just seemed to work from the start of Q1.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:59 pm 
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion

Its Croft/Brundle for me (should we do a poll for this?), I just didn't click to Edwards but of course he is the new boy to the F1 field where the others are all people I am used to hearing. I do want to check out Jaime on 5 live but it will mean I have to listen to James Allen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:44 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

JA Squared on 5 Live I can't say I've had any problems.

Perhaps Jaime's insight lacks some of the description, but at the same time he's a 22 yo commentating in a foreign language and in terms of him actually making sense, I've had no problems.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here's what we had on Sky UK for qualifying:

4th OnBoard feed will be replaced by the pits channel for the race.

I gather FOM have been having technical problems with the pits channel which is why it won't be avaliable untill the race. Was apparently avaliable for FP1 but only had audio.

Going by this image from Sky's test's it seems the pits feed will feature some additional data:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:18 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

StefMeister wrote:
Going by this image from Sky's test's it seems the pits feed will feature some additional data:

Those look like the official graphics rather than the Sky mock-up look. So the Pitlane channel could really provide loads of relevant data (what tyre is used, how long the pitstop lasted, who did the fasted stop and so on).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:05 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Ahhh the F1 Coverage thread, where people tell us how their thoughts and feelings are exactly the same as the decision they made when purchasing/not purchasing a channel 3 weeks ago! :lol:

Well I'm a Ben fanboy so in many ways 2012 has given me everything I've been asking for.

I've seen a stream of Qualy from Sky's perspective too (how much downtime do I have this weekend? :p ) and didn't find the commentary as exciting, though I think that probably has more to do with having seen it once already rather than anything to do with the quality of commentary.
Its odd that for me Croft has always been the alternative, he was seen in a positive light when he was up against Legard but now compared to the best in the business he's always going to suffer.

But then, I'm a Ben fanboy, so he's always going to win in my eyes. (ears) At least I'm honest about it though :p

As for the rest of the coverage, I'm kinda happy there's two broadcasters, as an F1 fanboy it just means there's so much material out there to absorb.
Sky is for the dedicated (and rich :p) and the BBC for the more casual.
As long as we remember that there's really no need to always compare the two in some kind of broadcasting fight like the advert break of TV Burp, they can both co-exist peacefully and doing one down on an internet forum to promote the other isn't going to be very productive. Sadly I seem to be the only person in the world thinking like that judging by the hostile attitude of internet forums....

As long as someone is posting the on-board feed highlights after the race, I'll be happy enough :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

On the Croft/Brundle vs. Edwards/Coulthard discussion I much prefer the latter duo. Although they need to work on their chemistry a bit.

Croft is a pretty poor commentator imo, and spends far too much time shouting. It's a problem I've had with him for ages. I think the biggest loss for BBC is Kravitz rather than Brundle. Martin's good but Coulthard is improving all the time and growing into the role.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

How was the BBC highlight show? did hey cut out a lot? I'm away from a tv all day next Saturday so I was thinking of just recording the BBC highlight show instead of the live Sepang qualifying, since I already need to watch it delayed anyway. But if BBC cut out 50% then I'd rather record the live broadcast from RTL7.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:02 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

As far as the on-track action is concerned, I thought it was pretty good. They did cut out a few minutes at the start of each session when everyone was in the garages but Q2 and Q3 were pretty much uncut except for the first minutes. Quite a lot of Q1 was cut out (including HRT blocking Alonso) but there isn't much going on in Q1 anyway. Also no mention of the red flag situation in Q2 (they did show the incident, obviously).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I thought the BBC highlights generally worked well, Pretty much everything that needed to be shown was although there was 2-3 things that could have been mentioned that were not.

Thought the Pre-session coverage was lacking, Was a few things such as the controvercy about Mercedes rear wing that wasn't discussed & they didn't really talk about the rule changes for 2012 or why we have the stepped noses.

I think the BBC's post session was a bit better as far as grabbing interviews went. Sky showed the press conference & Grabbed interviews with Vettel, Martin Whitmarsh, Ross Brawn & Eric Boullier which was all great, However BBC managed to get interviews with Grosjean, Button, Alonso, Massa, Vettel, Webber & Schumacher. Gary Anderson's strategy prediction was also quite intresting to see his predictions on optimum tyre strategy & how much of a time difference he thinks there is between the different strategies avaliable.

Still stick to what I said earlier about commentary. I just felt the Brundle/Croft commentary worked better, They seemed to have great chemestry & it all clicked instantly for me. Edwards/Brundle were not necisarily bad, Just felt they didn't work as well as Croft/Brundle somehow.

Posted 2 clips of Hamilton's Pole lap here comparing how Coulthard & Davidson analysed them:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7425&p=544532#p544532

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:48 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The pitlane channel is by far one of the greatest additions FOM have come up with in the last couple of years. The amount of team radio it had was insane...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:50 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Echti wrote:
The pitlane channel is by far one of the greatest additions FOM have come up with in the last couple of years. The amount of team radio it had was insane...

Indeed. Was mainly focusing on it just because of the additional team radio.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:56 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Could you guys upload bits of it? Only got Sky Go here...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2968 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1110 111 112 113 114149 Next