TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1107 108 109 110 111207 Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:35 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

People sure like complaining :thumbsup:

Perhaps we can open a "Fuck you F1" thread?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:01 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Sure.

On the radio le man's forums. You'd be mod within a week

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:42 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

On this day 40 years ago, Montjuic Park in Barcelona saw its last Grand Prix. A tragic crash saw the demise of this beautiful circuit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:57 am 

mclaren2008 wrote:
On this day 40 years ago, Montjuic Park in Barcelona saw its last Grand Prix. A tragic crash saw the demise of this beautiful circuit.

The narrator is as tragic as the event itself. Was this the race that the teams themselves had to fix the guardrails because the Spaniards didn't bolt them up properly?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:01 am 

Yeah Ken Tyrrell was out there. Emerson Fittipaldi even boycotted the event on his own terms.

:ohmy:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:51 pm 

codename_47 wrote:
Sure.

On the radio le man's forums. You'd be mod within a week

excellent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I like this idea:
http://www.foxsportsasia.com/motorsport ... to-Pirelli

Quote:
Force India believe they have come up with an idea to spice Formula 1 up and it involves Pirelli tyre selections.

Under current sporting regulations, Italian manufacturer Pirelli elects which two compounds will be used during a specific grand prix and teams and drivers can then decide their strategies for the race according to those selections.

However, Force India's chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer believes things would be more interesting if teams are actually allowed to decide which two compounds they want for different races.

"Pirelli has four different compounds on offer. Why can't each team select its two options individually?" he told Germany's Auto Motor Und Sport.

"If the team inform Pirelli four weeks in advance about the combinations they want for each grand prix, the tires can be produced in time. It doesn't cost more.

"The choice is then a secret until the Thursday before each race. So then early on Thursday we have a topic that everyone is talking about."

I've been saying since 2010 that they just take all dry compounds to every race & let teams do what they want with no mandatory stops or anything, Just like we used to have before refueling was introduced in 1994.

For all the talk about how the High-Deg tyres have spiced up the racing & strategies, More often than not everyone does something very similar. If you gave teams/drivers total freedom you would get teams & drivers running tyres/strategies that best suited there cars, setups & where they were in the race order & that would spice things up far more than what we have now as you would get far more varied strategies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
they're not in a tire war, so costs wouldn't be a problem right

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:02 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

F1 will always provide good races, even in "not-so-good" seasons like 2004 and 2011.
The best drivers racing on the limit with the fastest cars in the world can only be exciting. Well, mostly.

But I still think that some things have to change to make the rules more transparent.
Why not open the fuel restriction, let them put 100 liters in the car and see what you get in the end of the race. Why do the drivers need to use two compounds? A new viewer won't understand why.

But I am very satisfied with F1 and I would watch it even with V2 0.8 bobby cars. It has just a magic in it.

Reading some comments on F1, the pirate series (2009) often comes on my mind.
It would have been exciting to see what would have come out of that idea.
Maybe F1 would have stayed the same, but there would be another series with new ideas, with probably less show and celebrity stuff, more engine variation and usage, less green.
Would be really nice to have to series on the same level with some variation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StefMeister wrote:
I like this idea:
http://www.foxsportsasia.com/motorsport ... to-Pirelli

Quote:
Force India believe they have come up with an idea to spice Formula 1 up and it involves Pirelli tyre selections.

Under current sporting regulations, Italian manufacturer Pirelli elects which two compounds will be used during a specific grand prix and teams and drivers can then decide their strategies for the race according to those selections.

However, Force India's chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer believes things would be more interesting if teams are actually allowed to decide which two compounds they want for different races.

"Pirelli has four different compounds on offer. Why can't each team select its two options individually?" he told Germany's Auto Motor Und Sport.

"If the team inform Pirelli four weeks in advance about the combinations they want for each grand prix, the tires can be produced in time. It doesn't cost more.

"The choice is then a secret until the Thursday before each race. So then early on Thursday we have a topic that everyone is talking about."

I've been saying since 2010 that they just take all dry compounds to every race & let teams do what they want with no mandatory stops or anything, Just like we used to have before refueling was introduced in 1994.

For all the talk about how the High-Deg tyres have spiced up the racing & strategies, More often than not everyone does something very similar. If you gave teams/drivers total freedom you would get teams & drivers running tyres/strategies that best suited there cars, setups & where they were in the race order & that would spice things up far more than what we have now as you would get far more varied strategies.

That!! Back in the day the smaller teams sometimes had awesome results by doing a no-stopper. Or shooting for an awesome result but falling short with a handfull of laps remaining.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You can change whatever you want about the tyre regs, it wouldn't stop 90% of drivers running an almost identical race strategy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

StefMeister wrote:

It's a good idea until some bright spark tries to run the Super Softs at Catalunya or the Hards in Monaco.

One other thing to think about with 'spicing up the action' or whatever we want to call it - you don't want dull races but equally if you have mega races all the time it becomes less special, so there has to be a fine balance.

I'd also agree with getting the sport a little simpler. Having four tyre compounds is good, but just call them Fast/Durable or something. Colour coding the tyres makes it silly - just keep the allocated Prime tyre without colour (because the cars look more badass without a coloured banding) and have the Option red or whatever, bit like in IndyCar. A casual viewer will switch the TV on one week and see the Yellow tyres as the quali ones, next week they're the durable ones, so it doesn't make it easy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
kals wrote:
You can change whatever you want about the tyre regs, it wouldn't stop 90% of drivers running an almost identical race strategy.

or teams like Sauber and Force India who likes to run long stints pick up harder tires and go all the way round with no stops

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:

Don't like it. Each team would push to use the tyres that suit them best and they'd never agree on anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:44 pm 

codename_47 wrote:
Jesus christ..... :whistling:

If you thought Lewis going around the outside of rosberg in the WET at suzukas turn 1 was a b.s. easy pass then there may be no hope for you.
there's more great passing outside of drs zones that drs doesn't get the credit for keeping the cars close together for these days than easy 2011 style shooting past in a straight line on v-max style easy passes.

They were not side by side through the corner, DRS quite gave him the position as he was already ahead approaching the corner. It was an assisted overtake and I would have liked to see it without DRS(good possibility it wouldn't even have happened at all in that race), then it would rely all on Hamilton, which it did not! I'm not denying Lewis still had to put in some skills to complete the pass, but I would've liked it to be extremelly hard, so that if it happened(it would be later in the race because, without DRS, Lewis wouldn't have passed in that moment), it would be trully epic.

330kmh vs 311kmh what a farce :( On the finish line, Lewis was still very far from Rosberg, but then, he was already half a car ahead approaching the corner

The Indycar race yesterday made a mockery of F1, tbh. I can't remember the last F1 race which had as much good racing(maybe Suzuka 2005? so much time ago, would need to rewatch it).

The Alabama GP had everything F1 lacks: fast good looking cars, good looking scenery, great track layout, okay sounds and hard fierce racing.

The first 11 laps were just a procession with nothing happening but I wasn't bored because I still was delighted looking at how fast the cars were through that corners. From lap 12 onwards, it already started the great moves and, even better, the hard fierce battles which were no guarantee of overtaking. Passing was very hard there and relied mostly on the driver, rather than at any aids(P2P is way less effective than DRS and many moves weren't using it anyway), as it should always be, imho.

The circuit, unlike F1's sanitizeds with their's long straights followed by dull slow corner and tarmaced run offs, is tast old school with elevation changes, grass/gravel off track and, most importantly, lots of fast sweeping corners.

Even the cars seems harder to drive(check, for instance, Power's onboard at lap 18 and count the number of corrections he has to make).

Unlike the F1s, which have reduced downforce and are visibly slow now, Indycars are even faster with these new aero kits, corners very fast and still follow closely. That's where that series has a huge advantage over F1. They have way more downforce now but they still can follow much closer than F1 and that will lead to the much better racing provided. The same can be said about the LMP1s.

For all the approval the post 2010 F1 era gets, with it's spiced up races, Bernie's series never produced racing as awesome as those provided by the Alabama GP, or the 6 h of Silverstone, in this 2011-2014 period, again imho. And to find similar stuff on F1(on dry track), I'm afraid we would have to dig into the early 90's or 80's footage.

You guys aknowledge F1 isn't perfect but Charlie Whiting doesn't. He's one of the guys responsible for me complaining about F1. JJ badmouths him a lot but that's because of his extreme circumspection when it rains, but I'll do it for another reason: he already said F1 racing is perfect and that DRS and the tyre policy are here to stay and they are not even considering anything else.

If they were looking for ways to make the racing harder and natural, but still possible, unlike in the 2000s, then I wouldn't be complaining. But when I see WEC/Indycar showing it can be done, I wish F1, which was the pinnacle of racing once, could be looking into ways of getting there too instead of conforming with what they got. Unfortunately, that' not the case and the only positive thing I can say about F1 this year is that Mercedes and Lotus have designed some very good looking cars.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:30 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Artur Craft wrote:
The Alabama GP had everything F1 lacks: fast good looking cars, good looking scenery, great track layout, okay sounds and hard fierce racing.

BIB: Opinion invalidated

Indycar runs push to pass, and tyre degradation more extreme than F1 based on Sunday's race.
And uses the safety car more. And only 2 chasis manufacturers. With cars designed to give off a tow and produce good racing.

If you have problems with the tools F1 uses to put on an exciting show then you should equally have problems with the similar but not identical ways Indycar goes about it too

There is no pure motorsport, not any more. There are just various different "brands" of motorsport using whatever different tricks they can to put on entertaining racing to lure in more fans.

You can't be down on F1's way of doing things and say the others are fine. It's just two slightly different sides of the same coin

Purism isn't worth watching, it's processional. I'll take whatever we've got now thank you very much.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually the tyre deg in yesterdays Indycar race was just bonus. They don't go out of their way to make them drop off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And there's only one chassis manufacturer.

I'll get my coat....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:43 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Well, in the past Bridestone/Firestone never usually wanted to play the game in that regard, putting their own brand security over the series entertainment and excitement levels

Seems to be happening more often than not though so I don't know if they've had a 180 on it or their tyres just aren't used to the new Aero Kits yet.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Down to the bodykits I'd say, they mentioned that the tyres were lasting better with the Honda kit over the Chevy kit.

There was no tyre deg in St Petersburg or Long Beach though. Might be a one off like Canada that year which the made the FIA decide every race had to be the same with tyres :slaphead:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1107 108 109 110 111207 Next