TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1106 107 108 109 110123 Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
Let's start praying the engineers at other teams have come up with some good cardesigns for 2022 or Mercedes will end up winning 11 titles in a row.

What a joke.

I believe it's just an elaborate plan by Ross Brawn: Make F1 so boring for so long that eventually we beg for gimmicks. By 2023 everyone wants to have reverse grid sprint races. Bad thing they will lose 80% of viewers before that happens.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

But... but... you forget about the mythical "new" fans :roll:

FIA doesn't fucking care about die hards like us :yuk:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
mythical "new" fans? You talking about those dutch supporters that might cause a riot if FIA snatch a certain victory from Max due to aggressive driving?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:39 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

We're on pay channels all around the world after Bernie took the sky cash

New fans haven't been coming in for YEARS now, it's all about keeping what we have.

You know, with those universally popular decisions F1 is making :whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:17 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Maybe we are a Drive to Survive and 5 min youtube highlight sport these days....

(Are they even filming a 3rd season of that? I remember there was talk in Melbourne that all the drama there would make for good footage for them, but no confirmation if they were actually around?)

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:58 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

New F1 fans today have this acquired tech knowledge and when I hear them talking they boast about what DRS or KERS means and does. And the races I think is really boring, they somehow think was great. I can't complain there actually are new generations connecting to motorsport, I just think it's a sad era to do so. I mean that in a way of climate issues, covid and what not. Because the fixes doesn't appeal to what motorsport really is about. I can't understand why you would put the effort in to make motorsport climate neutral or soften its fingerprint. As if we are trying so hard to appeal to thousands of Greta Thunberg's to accept racing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So, if motorsport today involved extensive use of asbestos, or ivory, or something else we learned a long time ago was a really inappropriate thing to rely on, would you say it should keep doing so forever?

At some point in the future it will become common knowledge how fucked the planet (you know, that thing that racetracks sit on) is right now, and at that point I'm pretty sure even the old dudes who love the sound of a V10 will agree that it's honestly stupid to try and preserve that over a liveable climate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:42 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I come to that conclusion as well, it is a brave new world which is why I turn away from modern motorsport and rely on SVRA, Aussie muscle cars, Peter Auto etc. I'm well aware I'm a minority and part of a fanbase which is not needed nowadays. I know there are others like me out there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:53 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

I don't know (or care) about what tech knowledge newer fans have or care about, but I see a lot of them being not bothered about Lewis dominating. But then I guess there were always fans who were never bothered about Schumacher dominating. It's funny how many Schumacher fans are popping up as Lewis fans now. Almost as if there's a connection

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:40 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Carbon neutral fuel and green vegan cars are all very good. But what is retarded is that it's only a projection of our current state, not necessarily what we want. No one cares where the cobalt in lithium ion batteries comes from, it's chain of impact on climate or that you have to move a whole city to a new location to facility its industries. We are forced this because we can't due with what we have. In everything. So manufacturers adapt. But racing 20 cars with V10 engines oh my god that's gonna tip the whole world over and they alone will be the cause for consuming the last drip of oil in this world. That's a loss for fans of racing.

It's silly but then my eyes and brain might be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If they can make electric or hybrid engines as exciting and emotive as the old V10s then I would be all for them. But they aren't. Until they are, I will live in denial and fantasy land and yearn for the V10s. I personally think Formula E is one of the most uninspiring forms of motorsport as it gets. I'd rather watch a Formula Palmer club race.

And while I'm in La La Land, I want the bloody Halo's gone as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess there's no problem to have about 20 gas guzzling racing cars if the whole structure to keep is carbon neutral

Not like that you have 20 racing cars with hybrid and low consumption but still have a structure with huge diesel lorries with motorhomes that also use a big deal of electricity, plus having to carry all the structure worldwide in planes and so

Day by day motorsports are quitting the mainstream and becoming niche, like horse racing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:02 pm 

Oil-guzzling cars will be about as relevant as steam engines in 10 years' time, though. It's ancient technology

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:26 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Good thing there is ice hockey. Going about what it was originally meant to be. Till the day a stick won't last a full shift because we ran out of every other resource and material due to everyone's normal over-consumption, but cauliflower. And the puck dissolves after 10 minutes being made of sugar. So players do their best not to smash it to pieces trying to score. But just enough so it won't break.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:
Oil-guzzling cars will be about as relevant as steam engines in 10 years' time, though. It's ancient technology

but is marvelous the power output on even smaller and economic engines. there's still room for development in ICE, specially with biofuels

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:48 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

F1 races in 2035:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:37 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

For me, I'm interested in the competittion and laptimes and don't much care what powers the cars so long as they're overtaking one another.

If you get over the mental gymnastics some people pull to try their hardest not to like it, Formula E puts on some of the most exciting racing in motorsport atm.
It helps that I grew up with my first "proper" racing game being Wipeout on the PS1 alongside the F197 I got with the console, so I like all the on track speed up zones etc, but it's a refreshing change at least to not have a racing series that is all about aerodynamics. (and that's one area that the sport spends far too much money on with very little trickle down into the road cars. We all talk about engines and making them more efficient etc but a lot of F1 teams budget is spend on wind tunnels and aerodynamic modelling and that gives us...what, exactly, except for worse and worse racing?)

If fossil fuels are the hill you want to die on, it must be a depressing time. But there is an air of excitement for me about what exactly the next technology is going to be and watching various different techologies develop before we'll inevitably find "the one" eventually.

I believe motorsport will continue to be used as a test bed, so it will always be around, but for me watching it change and develop is more exciting than it being the same all the time.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

they should freeze aerodynamics at the simplest possible and focus on engine development

no fuel flow limit, you have 150L of fuel (gas, ethanol, Jack Daniels, whatever) and you must finish the race with that

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They should also go back to leather helmets and focus on protective leather development. Also, ditch fire-retardant suits and start a program to research the best techniques for a driver to bat the flames out on their arm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
They should also go back to leather helmets and focus on protective leather development. Also, ditch fire-retardant suits and start a program to research the best techniques for a driver to bat the flames out on their arm.

"Sometimes, they don't get out of the car." :(

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1106 107 108 109 110123 Next