TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1106 107 108 109 110113 Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:58 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Personally I don't care how he performs, it's such an amazing story you can't fail to feel happy for the guy. It's not often we get nice things in F1, so I'm going to enjoy this one.

Ocon should be on the grid, but in place of Stroll, not Kubica.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy shit, Grosjean talking sense on sausage kerbs...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14025 ... acau-crash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
RtN wrote:
Poor Williams. They wanted to have a big reveal tomorrow, but everyone has nicked their thunder, including Liberty.

https://streamable.com/u63up

I find interesting how they managed to disguise showing his right arm on post 2011 footage. Hope he doesn't get involved in serious incidents while racing at the back

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:

I don't totally agree with Grosjean on this.

Perhaps in F1 this could be a problem indeed, but in Flörsch case the sausage kerb was essential to prevent something worse, as she could have T-boned another car or hit the wall with a much stronger impact than the one she sustained. However, I don't think anyone would regard a ramp-like kerb as an intentional safety feature.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

EAS wrote:
Gaara wrote:

I don't totally agree with Grosjean on this.

Perhaps in F1 this could be a problem indeed, but in Flörsch case the sausage kerb was essential to prevent something worse, as she could have T-boned another car or hit the wall with a much stronger impact than the one she sustained. However, I don't think anyone would regard a ramp-like kerb as an intentional safety feature.

Whaaaaaaat? She could have died. Spectators, marshalls, cameramen could have died. She was a projectile flying around with no way of slowing her down except for the building she crashed into.
Compare that with a possible T-bone against a very safe car with a strong monocoque and a well protected driver. Throwing cars into the air to prevent a possible colision is as usefull as an ejection seat in a helicopter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think it was much more luck than any other thing, to be honest. And you do have a point - other people were in risk with that flight. And that's why I said we shouldn't regard that kerb as a safety feature even though in this very specific crash it prevented something worse.

Even a very safe car couldn't handle such a speed. With that reduced impact she still had a spine injury. I can't imagine how she would be if the crash was against a barrier instead of the fence, but I suppose her injury would be much worse.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

But she hardly lost speed by hitting the fence. She crashed into a building at the same speed she would have crashed into the barrier or another car.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Seeing the footage again, she did not launch herself over the sausage kerbs, she did it after T-boning another car backwards.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I love that Kubica is making a return.

But, it bugs me a bit, the fact that a driver that can drive "70% left handed", is able enough to get a race drive. Not because of him, but about how "easy" can be to wheel one of this cars. Not about G forces, but the amount of strength needed to point the wheels at the proper direction. I really thought they were tougher than that. Power steering and all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lauda drove the Monza GP with 30% lung capacity, covered in bandages and in incredible pain. I guess the cars were too easy to drive in '76 too? Oh right, the narrative for back then is the drivers were tough as nails.

[Edited to save me further embarrassment]

Last edited by Philthy82 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Laura drove the Monza GP with 30% lung capacity, covered in bandages and in incredible pain. I guess the cars were too easy to drive in '76 too? Oh right, the narrative for back then is the drivers were tough as nails.

I seem to miss your point. Are you disagreeing that todays cars are easier to drive than in 1976?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Laura drove the Monza GP with 30% lung capacity, covered in bandages and in incredible pain. I guess the cars were too easy to drive in '76 too? Oh right, the narrative for back then is the drivers were tough as nails.

I'm like "who the fuck is Laura???" but then I realized it must be an auto-correct from Lauda.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

I'm like "who the fuck is Laura???" but then I realized it must be an auto-correct from Lauda.

Laura drove with 30% lung capacity, fake boobs and suspenders :excited:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wanted to ask, but I thought what if he thinks I'm serious?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:29 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Scotty wrote:
If he beats Kimi in the Sauber it will be a huge win for him.

I will send you a bottle of Finnish vodka if Kubica somehow beats Kimi in overall results next year.

Gabriel wrote:
I love that Kubica is making a return.

But, it bugs me a bit, the fact that a driver that can drive "70% left handed", is able enough to get a race drive. Not because of him, but about how "easy" can be to wheel one of this cars. Not about G forces, but the amount of strength needed to point the wheels at the proper direction. I really thought they were tougher than that. Power steering and all.

As a snowmobile rider, I can say that in that sport "70% left handed" is a near to standard. The throttle lever is positioned under your right thumb/palm area, meaning that you can not push the steering column with right hand, you must pull it with left. And on a bumpy course/route, you can basically only keep your body attached to the machine with left hand grip and what you can squeeze with your thighs/heels. Imagine rodeo bull and you can get the idea. Sure, F1 needs more precision but I do believe Kubica can work his way as most people with disabilities/injuries.

Nannini also had bad injury to his right arm but was still very good racer in DTM. And what about that quadruple amputee French man who raced in Le Mans few years back?

I hope all the best for Robert, he was one of my favorite drivers before his accident, but I'm afraid this is a doomed comeback. He comes back after nine (9) seasons away from the sports, to a backmarker team in crisis that's under-developed due two pay drivers, rules are changing and well, he has the injury. He's a fighter and we all love Rocky-type of stories, but in this sport in these circumstances it can't be so. And it's a damn shame. The Polish fans I met in Hungaroring last year and year before that were the most amazing people. They came there because there was a rumor that he might race or test. There were thousands of them on the Wednesday testing session cheering for him!

As a Finn I felt stupid for being upset for Kimi being 2nd and Bottas 3rd. We've been so eager to see the Finland 1-2 that we've forgot that we are the only nation that has had two drivers in top 5 nearly every race for last two years. And occasionally during Bottas' Williams time we could say we had 2,5 Finns in top 5 if we counted Nico. Times will now change for us, and even more for 2020, when Bottas will be replaced with Ocon at Merc. For 2021 there is a big chance that there's no Finnish driver in a grid. So the last realistic chance for a long time for 1-2 is this Sunday.

Still, all the best for Kubica, but I fear it's going to be a heartbreaker.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:48 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Scotty wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
Scotty wrote:
If he beats Kimi in the Sauber it will be a huge win for him.

I will send you a bottle of Finnish vodka if Kubica somehow beats Kimi in overall results next year

I'll hold you to it.

If Kimi beats Kubica will send you one can of Fosters.

I'm a man of my word.

But instead of Fosters, which we already have here, could you send me Victoria Bitter? Because Bathurst.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Scotty wrote:
If Kimi beats Kubica will send you one can of Fosters.

you are tricking him, you said Castle was better

NVirkkula wrote:
Nannini also had bad injury to his right arm but was still very good racer in DTM.

he also used to smoke during the races

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:58 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Scotty wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:
you are tricking him, you said Castle was better

Think you mean Carlton Draught. Castle is a South African beer.

I'm a man of no beer, I drink them all. Except XXXX and Melbourne Bitter.

Come to think of it, I think we also have VB in Finland too. So more genuine Straya beverage would be even better. And I promise to send you Koskenkorva, the most genuine Finnish vodka there is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don’t care who beats who out of Kimi and Kubica, but I would appreciate free beer. You can send me some VB, Carlton, or whatever.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
As a Finn I felt stupid for being upset for Kimi being 2nd and Bottas 3rd. We've been so eager to see the Finland 1-2 that we've forgot that we are the only nation that has had two drivers in top 5 nearly every race for last two years. And occasionally during Bottas' Williams time we could say we had 2,5 Finns in top 5 if we counted Nico. Times will now change for us, and even more for 2020, when Bottas will be replaced with Ocon at Merc. For 2021 there is a big chance that there's no Finnish driver in a grid. So the last realistic chance for a long time for 1-2 is this Sunday.

Finland has an insane heritage in F1 if we think that you needed such a small amount of drivers to built such a reputation. The proportions are insane.

9 drivers
7 podium finishers
5 race winners
3 world champions

As a Brazilian, I do understand your pain even though now we are more used to win droughts than to have any expectation of a race win (we don't even have a driver on the field now lol)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1106 107 108 109 110113 Next