TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1101 102 103 104 105151 Next

What's going to be the biggest surprise of 2016 season?
Ferrari beats Mercedes 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Williams will stay 3rd in standings 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
McLaren Honda gets podium 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
No wet races 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Maldonado and Palmer are incredibly reliable and scores in every race 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
People will not complain how boring it is 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
It isn't actually boring at all 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 79
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm not sure how easy it is to get around the budget cap.
When Ferrari supplied the A1GP car I somewhat expected them to do it to gain extra information. Sure it's not 1 on 1 to F1 but information is information.

And how would it work for Ferrari and Mercedes? They develop their own engine. Is that within the budget or should they "buy" the engine from themselves?
I think F1 is too complex for a budgetcap to properly work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:17 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the token system is the only thing likely to work.Teams who build their own engines would have a cost advantage, otherwise.

They already use tokens for engine dev, so it would be fairly straightforward to expand it to other parts. Teams would be discouraged from over-tweaking if they only have a finite amount of allowable changes to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
just saw that Chris Amon passed away, a great unlucky driver for not having a F1 victory but very lucky to have survived the 60's and 70's in F1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Yes but F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, manufacturers need to spend billions of dollars to show who's the champion of endless front wing redesigns, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, Audi are talking about the possibility of developing a hydrogen fuel cell WEC car, and yet still the F1 press wonders when Audi is coming...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:32 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

So the first team to test the new for 2017 tyres to work them out are Red Bull, a team already proven to have the best aero on the grid and will now be able to get a head start on the power/grip ratio of 2017

Congratulations Max Verstappen, youngest F1 champion ever 2017!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nah, Max will win 5 races and crash out of the rest after everyone gets tired of his shitty blocking antics.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:54 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Philthy82 wrote:
Nah, Max will win 5 races and crash out of the rest after everyone gets tired of his shitty blocking antics.

who the FUCK will he be blocking with the cars all at least 5 seconds apart from each other with the dirty air? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Himself?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:31 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

gkmotorsport wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
Yes but F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, manufacturers need to spend billions of dollars to show who's the champion of endless front wing redesigns, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, Audi are talking about the possibility of developing a hydrogen fuel cell WEC car, and yet still the F1 press wonders when Audi is coming...

it probably costs less to develop that car than one year in F1 :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

:slaphead:
Quote:
Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff believes Formula 1's track-limit rules should be relaxed, with drivers allowed to use all of the asphalt to find the quickest line.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... s-scrapped

Its a shame that after Hungary it looked as though the FIA were finally starting to go in a sensible direction with these timing loops they had in some of the kerbs that would detect when a driver exceeded track limits & automatically delete times, Yet after Germany & with the crap coming out of the strategy group/teams I now don't think the situation is any better than it was before Hungary.

I don't even think the problem is the tarmac runoff, The problem is the kerbs & whats directly behind them. You can have miles of tarmac runoff & still discourage drivers from using it by having kerbs designed to discourage drivers using too much of them or by having something at the back of them (A 2m strip of grass ideally) that again discourages drivers from using them.

If your going to enforce track limits as Charlie has seemingly been wanting to recently you can't say its fine to do at some corners & not others. If your going to strictly enforce it at 1 corner then you should strictly enforce it at all corners & if your going to have timing loop in kerbs then have them in all kerbs & have them placed at a point in the kerb where it gets pinged when a driver uses more than half the width of a kerb.

IMSA decided not to enforce track limits at COTA last year & it looked stupid:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That IMSA race looks ridiculous. :lol:

Any kind of grass/gravel before the tarmac run off would mean there was no time to be made in running wide. You could make the curbs higher/rougher, although that would probably be deemed 'unsafe'. Having said that, the high curbs at Monza have really stopped people from cutting the second chicane. Proof that drivers can slow for the corner and make it if they really have to. But why do that when you can just cut across the track, and save brakes and tyres.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I used to co-run an F1C league, and our rules worked like this:

- The white lines represent the track limits
- If a kerb is outside the white lines, it is not on the track
- If all of your wheels are outside the white lines, your car is not on the track

I don't think we ever had a track limits problem. Surely, with all the money available in F1, identifying 'problem' corners like T1 in Austria and aiming a camera at the exit isn't hard? Image recognition software is already at the point where the stewards can be notified automatically if a car is caught out, meaning they don't have to watch the whole time.

I mean FFS, Hawkeye or the goal-line equivalent could be adapted for this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
just use camera review with selected stewards to check that

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fans may be about to get full access to all team radio traffic...... For a price.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns34554.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:25 am 

Just came across this, Jackie Stewart's biggest battle yet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:20 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

awww that would be horrible to have that happen to someone you love

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
I mean FFS, Hawkeye or the goal-line equivalent could be adapted for this.

Here are the reasons why it couldn't work.

- Those technologies cost squillions. To set up goal line tech in a soccer stadium costs more than $500,000 dollars AFAIK.

- Those technologies are still very slow.

- They only track 1 item at a time.

- Most of them work off tracking the parabolic path of an airborne ball.

- The biggest thing they track is a 30cm (or whatever) diameter soccer ball. I'm thinking tracking a 1.8m wide F1 car would be a massive challenge

- Unlike tennis, cricket and soccer, where the ball is the same for everyone, every car has a different size and shape.

The more you know.

Thank you, I didn't know it was that limited, comparitively speaking. And expensive!

Still, I would be amazed if software did not already exist that can study a moving image and tell a user when a pre-defined event is 'seen', such as an object within $widthRange being completely over $definedLine. There would probably be false positives, but this is why we have human stewards.

The general point being: if they want to enforce track limits reliably, it can't be as hard as they are making it look.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Any kind of grass/gravel before the tarmac run off would mean there was no time to be made in running wide.

This is the only correct and reasonable answer, and it's so obvious that I have no idea why it's not used more on tracks.

Even if this patch is uneven and launches a spinning car up, there's no gravel to dig in after, so the car would just fall back down on its wheels and slide on the tarmac run-off. Same for a sliding motorcycle rider, as long as there's only smooth tarmac after the grass strip they'll keep sliding instead of tumbling.

The only risk is if some smartass does a Kimi and tries to use the run-off or rejoin the track pedal to the metal. They'll get the penalty they deserve, the kind that is not handed by officials.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

coldtyre wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:
Any kind of grass/gravel before the tarmac run off would mean there was no time to be made in running wide.

This is the only correct and reasonable answer, and it's so obvious that I have no idea why it's not used more on tracks.

Even if this patch is uneven and launches a spinning car up, there's no gravel to dig in after, so the car would just fall back down on its wheels and slide on the tarmac run-off. Same for a sliding motorcycle rider, as long as there's only smooth tarmac after the grass strip they'll keep sliding instead of tumbling.

The only risk is if some smartass does a Kimi and tries to use the run-off or rejoin the track pedal to the metal. They'll get the penalty they deserve, the kind that is not handed by officials.

I think the problem there is demonstrated quite well in Generally - if anyone goes through it, they are inevitably going to pull a load of gravel onto the tarmac behind it, reducing its effectiveness.

Grass would probably work a lot better in this case.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gkmotorsport wrote:
coldtyre wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:

I think the problem there is demonstrated quite well in Generally - if anyone goes through it, they are inevitably going to pull a load of gravel onto the tarmac behind it, reducing its effectiveness.

Grass would probably work a lot better in this case.

They're drivers, they should be able to deal with it. We have rubber debris so why not the odd bit of gravel too.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1101 102 103 104 105151 Next