TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 524 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Last edited by Woodski on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
they say 1 lap qualifying isn't fair, so make at least Q3 as 1 lap only for everyone. they have the same shot, clean track and so

In Melbourne 2003, some people actually left the track after that first hour of one-lappers (used only to set the starting order of the second hour if you remember). They didn't think there was a second session :lol:

Also, the Silverstone debacle where people kept slamming the brakes on the finish line to get the worst position and start the second session before the rain came, Schumacher even infamously spinning on purpose to get the worst laptime :lol:

Last edited by Coldtyre on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Woodski wrote:
First time since '94 with no No. 1 car?

There wasn't a no. 1 car in 2015 and 2016 either, Lewis has run no. 44 both years. First time since 1994 that the reigning world champion will not be on the grid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
F1 seasons without the reigning champion is also an unusual fact

there was 1950 (no champion at all), 1959 (Hawthorne died before season begun), 1971 (Rindt died in Monza/1970), 1974 (Stewart retired), 1993 (Mansell went to IndyCar) and 1994 (Prost retired)

we could consider 1958 as Fangio only did 2 races that season

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
Woodski wrote:
First time since '94 with no No. 1 car?

There wasn't a no. 1 car in 2015 and 2016 either, Lewis has run no. 44 both years. First time since 1994 that the reigning world champion will not be on the grid.

That's why I quickly edited my post away, looks like you got to it before me. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:43 am 

JJ wrote:
outube]rPz_SKaIClg[/youtube]

I'm truly sorry.

Ha, I quoted this to post the SchumacherxTrullixMontoya video but NVirkkula beaten me to it :(

The comments are great. Someone like me says: "When F1 was F1" (401 upvotes)
Then somebody like Codename: "When F1 was fucking boring...." (0 upvotes)

"As pleasantly surprising as the new V6 era has been, it can never hope to compare to this prime entertainment right here. Tires that last forever, disregard to fuel limit, and 10 cylinder monsters driven by legends like Schumi, Montoya, Raikkonen, etc. Every fiber in my body hopes that the FIA realizes the errors of its ways. " (263 upvotes)

"Imagine if they had DRS. This wonderful battle would not exist. Its the new F1 fanboys who have failed to see the beauty in F1 that have fucked the sport. Begging for more passes. It was more entertaining watching two drivers who were required to drive perfectly to win the battle. Today you have one shit driver following a good driver who only needs a safety car and DRS to pass him." (190 upvotes)

All other posts with big upvotes are on the same line. I tried but found no post with big upvotes that represents the typical tbker view of the matter.

LucasWheldon wrote:
we don''t want fairness, we want randomness

speak for yourself.

The current format is already bad enough for me. It should be 4 fast laps for each driver over a whole hour, as before.

I want to see a qualifying that shows the real speed of everyone, otherwise, what's the point of just a dumbed down spice-it-up-for-the-race session?!

F1 is the 2002 MSCxTRUxMOY vid, pure and genuine racing even if most of the time that leads to boredom and processions. Artificial qualifying and racing should never be here.

Why have all the cheese tyres/DRS/gimmickies lovers started watching F1 in the first place :? It was never like this. This whole artificial stuff started in 2003 with the new qualifying, then on 2011 it stepped up to a whole new level with the tyres and DRS. If F1 of the past was so boring, then why did you started following it at all?

Everybody is entittled to like these things but they are not what made F1 be what it is.

2017 is a step in the right direction and FPs and QLF will be fun to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I like this qual format as it is, perfect for me.

As for DRS, I like to see that they are starting studies to make overtakes not dependant of it again. It's funny how we got at the same time DRS and degrading tyres in 2011. I would have love to see just the degrading tyres, or just the DRS on those 2010 cars. Both sounds good on paper.

As for now, I would only the DRS areas shorter, so it's harder to pass and thus the defending driver may actually care about defending it's position, as well as we as spectators see some challenge and actually get excited with the prospect of seeing and overtake again. But with the new aero we may just get the perfect balance again. Might be like that racing video but just enought to be better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:17 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

massive rain today

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

@
Artur Craft
: I respect the opinion that you presented in length in your post, and I'm willing to let slide that Youtube comments aren't the brightest bunch of internet comments, but you're analysing a video that shows one of the rare instances of multi-car battles back then. Nowadays we have shit like that going on in almost every race for some sort of position, including for podiums.

Do the same analysis on a video of the VET/RIC/VES battle at Mexico. I'm sure some Youtube 8yo commenter will thank DRS and tyres for allowing these drivers to even stay within reach of each other at the end of the race and finish it in total madness like they did. Or the VES/RAI battle in Spain, a track where you'd have no hope of even staying close to a car in front without the help of DRS and degrading tyres for the leader.

Artur Craft wrote:
2017 is a step in the right direction and FPs and QLF will be fun to watch.

I'm curious: did you leave race day out because you focused on quali which was the main topic, or is it an acknowledgment and resignation that races will become less fun?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:41 pm 

coldtyre wrote:
but you're analysing a video that shows one of the rare instances of multi-car battles back then. Nowadays we have shit like that going on in almost every race for some sort of position, including for podiums.

That's the problem, we don't! And we have never had(bar Monza 11 where the DRS effect was null) such battles since 2011 and we never will until DRS stays(tyre are alledgely more durable this year, let's confirm that)

Even if youtube comments aren't the brightest of the internet, this guy got exactly what is the difference between a genuine hard developed/built overtake and a bland push-of-a-button one:

DuxVideos
"Schumacher prepared his pass 3 laps before. Lap by lap. Meter by meter. He was measuring what he can do how to do it. And he build that and when the time came he just put Montoya right there where he wanted him most. Inside of the corner, so wide on the exit, lower speed, and cut him from the inside of the corner and went on the throttle like a rocket! Montoya had no chance! " (126 upvotes)

When a driver does the overtake on his own, it remains. In some cases it becomes legendary like the Piquet on Senna one(Hungary) and the Hakkinen on Schumacher(Spa)
coldtyre wrote:
I'm curious: did you leave race day out because you focused on quali which was the main topic, or is it an acknowledgment and resignation that races will become less fun?

If DRS doesn't work, maybe it could get interesting if the cars can follow relatively close, but if DRS remains as effective as before or if dirty air becomes too big, then I won't be following the 2017 races, only the other sessions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I'm really looking forward to DRS not work at all

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The FIA are apparently going to evaluate DRS over the 1st 2 races & make changes after China.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/03/21/f ... hinese-gp/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:36 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The thing people don't get about DRS is as much as it has ruined overtakes on start finish lines (and I do agree with that, places like the back straight in canada or the kemmel straight at Spa it's completely unnecessary, looking back on racing in the past, all overtakes were just engine power drive-pasts in a straight line way before the braking zone BEFORE DRS) it DOES keep the cars closer for more genuine, non-DRS passes away from the DRS zones

It's no coincidence races like Hungary were a complete waste of time pre-2011 and now have become one of the best races of the season.

Still, that said I hope Ross will finally knock these teams into shape and begin work on making the cars easier to follow closely and pass without it.
Two words Brawn: Ground. Effect. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 pm 

After that visit to F1 Fanatic, I stumbled upon this very good article by Andrew Benson(he improved in these last few years). The Wurz bit is quite interesting.

Alexander Wurz: "Authentic is the biggest word here. In the mid-2000s, there was less overtaking than at any point in F1 history but currently the biggest hype is about that period of time. It's because the product was fit for how people felt. "Since then, it has been diminished to be an artificial show to achieve overtaking. They maybe achieved it, but it wasn't authentic or heroic. It was too much, too easy and the consumer understands that because no-one will ever scream about an amazing DRS overtaking manoeuvre.The new rules are such a massive step forward and that's why they will be successful despite having potential issues with overtaking which we can address later. If there is just one amazing overtake in a race, that delivers much more energy and emotion to the consumer than five DRS fly-bys. Some say overtaking is so important for fans to be attached to F1. From the beginning, I have said - and I believe - that is not the answer. It is maybe not even true. In a Le Mans car, following someone in a 150mph corner, never at any point do you have to think you have to keep your distance because otherwise you are going to slide wide without control. You almost touch his bumper and your car will generate the same grip as when you drive by yourself. So all your focus can be solely on the guy in front, to find a little gap or a little mistake and you are close enough to strike. In an F1 car, when you go behind someone, you are always thinking: 'OK, I am that close, so I must enter the corner a little bit slower because otherwise I am going to slide too wide in the mid-corner and apex and I am going to lose too much time or even make a mistake. Unless you have much fresher tyres or he makes a mistake, you cannot think: 'OK, I am that close now, I will strike.' And by nature in F1 not too many people make mistakes"

Lewis says some key things too:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39274891

codename: Besides looking for alternatives to DRS, Brawn is also saying what we all have in the last years: spread the money more evenly. He knows how difficult that is to do as each team only cares about their own selfish interests but uses NFL as an example of success for better prize distribution

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

People are still complaining about DRS, people are still complaining about engine noise (or lack of), people are still complaining about Pirelli tyres, people are still complaining about the look of the cars, people are still complaining.

Nothing changes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looks like pre-season hormones are unusually high this year. :o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can't wait for the season to start. Ever since 2008 at least, the cars didn't look so nice. Very hyped.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If all this artificial bullshit saved the series than why are the crowds down from 15 years ago?

I'm not saying that if we had mid 90's rules that the stands would be over flowing but something is still very wrong. We have 4 World Champions on the grid, live coverage of everything, still some decent tracks from the old days and some new ones that are pretty good too. Now, what don't we have? What are we missing?

For me, the answer is simple. Straight up badass race cars.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Maybe the cost is another factor, gate prices have far outstripped inflation, for the same cost of me going to the British GP (actually a bit less) I can have unlimited access to four uk theme parks and 27 other locations for a year (or a motorsport vision annual pass for similar cost) to me, and probably many others, the cost of the GP simply can't be justified as good value for money when compared to alternatives.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Stop the ranting.

WHERE ARE THE ALBERT PARK TRACK PHOTOS?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 524 Next