TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12335 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fermani2 wrote:
Talking about the 2014 engines, they look brutal. Didn't know a turbo was that big!

Never going to happen, but it would be great to have the cars look like late 90s CART chassis with roll hoop and that bulky black thing sticking out in the open.

More realistically, I hope they will be able to hide that under the current engine cover, and that we won't get those fugly hunchbacks like in the mod-2000s F1 cars.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That engine is very a small unit and I have to wonder how actual that top part is. With the engine being so small and there no longer being a requirement for air being induced through the roll-over hoop, this will give the teams a chance to make the rear ends of the cars look very different. We could see some interesting concepts. Or I should say I hope.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:20 am 
Australian - All the animals look so strange

turbo spinning at 125,000 rpm xD. Need high res!

kals wrote:
That engine is very a small unit and I have to wonder how actual that top part is. With the engine being so small and there no longer being a requirement for air being induced through the roll-over hoop, this will give the teams a chance to make the rear ends of the cars look very different. We could see some interesting concepts. Or I should say I hope.

The capacity might be quite small, but at the revs these things produce, they will be sucking it like crazy. I would say they would maintain the airbox from the rollhoop but perhaps alter the shape of the snorkel running to the plenum. Anyway, will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Last edited by Ospi on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:21 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Autosport have that same picture, I don't think they'll have shown the wrong thing

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:00 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Scotty wrote:
That looks suspiciously like a Mercedes truck engine. Taki is having a lend of you all.

I got it from a Dutch newssite which showed the picture on their Facebookpage. They said that "Mercedes-Benz showed their first images of their 2014 engine".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
ryan86 wrote:
For some reason I always thought it was Nick Mason of Pink Floyd that had hosted Top Gear.

I think you'll find that I've been confusing Nick and Tony as well :oops:

Probably cos Nick kept the Caterham factory afloat for a while buying spare parts.

Like his fellow music industry colleague Matt Aitken, the only thing he was any good at motor sport wise was crashing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:58 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Juihi wrote:
Autosport have that same picture, I don't think they'll have shown the wrong thing

Are Merc having our leg? I mean that thing looks so completely out of whack it is not funny....though everyone thought the early pictures of the BMW in testing of 2009 was not indicative of their actual car, which turned out to be one of the worst looking cars of all time...I hope Merc don't go down that same route with that monstrosity (if actually real)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:23 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It's not like we see the engines when they're running, I'm more interested in what noise it will make

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:52 am 

Yeah I am rather confused by those comments..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:18 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm excited by the new rules ... I'm not too worried about the noise, or the passing of the V8s which were never that special to me, they're just a dim reflection of the old V10s and it's time for them to go. The turbo cars of the 80s sounded pretty epic, and these are more or less the same configuration ... in fact, listen to some of the 1960s 1.5 litre normally aspirated cars and they sound lush, add on the turbo whine and we'll have something nice. I'm not sure if 33s is too much ERS - I think we'll see it used even more as an essential lap-time aid rather than an overtaking one, but the effect is doubled now to 160hp so, if you do find yourself in a position to use it, it's going to be a big help ... I'm not sure if Webber will be looking forward to this, given that as races progress, the chances of him having a KERS failure seem to near 100%. (Not meaning to revive the Webber debate, I just notice that if there's a KERS failure going, it usually occurs on his car.)

EDIT: Aero regs aren't the big change they were going to be, so it will mainly be these engines ... well, as long as one doesn't really steal a march on the others, then we'll hopefully be fine. Will there be some kind of grace period? I seem to remember in 2006 there was a bit of concern about the Mercedes engine being a dud (low on power and unreliable) but then it got sorted out and became arguably the most powerful and very reliable. Aero stability or at least similarity is good ...

Technology is part of Formula 1, and since manufacturer teams came into the sport, so it has been a showcase for them, that's part of F1's history - it's just that in the past, teams like Ferrari and the old works Mercedes team were just out to prove they could build the fastest car, Ford made mileage from the Cosworth connection - the same as Porsche at Le Mans in the 1970s is no different to Audi and Toyota now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I reckon there's going to be a lot of tech failures early in the year. We might end up with a situation where 'Power Units' are vitally important - maybe one engine will be very good and the others not so! The guy from Mercedes, according to Autosport, says you won't be able to race without ERS.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:54 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

At 160hp for 33 seconds per lap, he almost certainly has a point ... losing about 20% of the total power output (~750bhp) compared to your rivals for, on average, just over a third of the lap time, will be a pretty huge impact compared to now where you can still make competitive times but are a bit buggered on position defence ...

It's possible there will be disparity between engines ... these engines are very old technology, really, although they are very high performance and impressive in that sense, they've been building these engines, or ones very similar, for a long time, so the reliability in performance and production is very high ... with new processes, without these years of refinement, there could be individual manufacturing differences, though one imagines that the quality control and attention to detail will be second to none, or at least very few.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:09 pm 

What are the engine regs going to be like? Still going to be similar to the current regarding limited allocations and extended life expectancy?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:13 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

5 'Power Units' per season, three less than the current limit (which applies only to engines), but 'Power Unit' includes the engine, ERS, turbo, exhaust and engine electronics ... a failure in any one of those that needs to be replaced will count as one of the allocation of units.

EDIT: Also, with regards to the photo being a fake/wrongly ascribed, I think it must be a Merc release because the Autosport website has two different angles of it, one from 3/4 used as a thumbnail on the main page, and the side-on shot used in the article ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:27 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

impressive promo movie of the Sochi track.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:53 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Some awesome anachronisms in there ... Juan Pablo Montoya, Bridgestone tyres (unless they know something we don't), old aero regs ... what may even have been an old Sauber Petronas livery.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Car models look like CTDPs rFactor mod with a re-texture on a couple of them. F1 2005 mod.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:14 pm 
Champion GIF Maker
Champion GIF Maker

Plus the sound from the Ferrari V12 well known audio clip :p

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:39 pm 

that first bend surprises me, with no run off at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:14 pm 

OS wrote:
At 160hp for 33 seconds per lap, he almost certainly has a point ... losing about 20% of the total power output (~750bhp) compared to your rivals for, on average, just over a third of the lap time, will be a pretty huge impact compared to now where you can still make competitive times but are a bit buggered on position defence ...

It's even worse than that. Allen wrote on his article that, on average, 55s is spent on full throttle, each lap. So, the ERS(why have they dropped the Kinetic bit, btw?) will be present at 60% of the "max power deployed" time.

OS wrote:
5 'Power Units' per season, three less than the current limit (which applies only to engines), but 'Power Unit' includes the engine, ERS, turbo, exhaust and engine electronics ... a failure in any one of those that needs to be replaced will count as one of the allocation of units.

I already read some people complain about the "Power Unit" terminology(don't remember where) but it seems necessary. As you pointed out, it won't be a "conventional engine" anymore. It really will be a "Power Unit" with lot's of components on it making the whole reliability issue much more difficult to be achieved, for instance.

Last edited by Artur Craft on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12335 Next