TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 186 87 88 89 90141 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Calling Sainz a backstabbing shit stirrer is a bit much.

Yeah backstabbing was probably a tad much, he hasn't exactly been slagging Red Bull management off behind their back has he?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
kals wrote:
Calling Sainz a backstabbing shit stirrer is a bit much.

Yeah backstabbing was probably a tad much, he hasn't exactly been slagging Red Bull management off behind their back has he?

Yep. He's been doing that in the press. Can't blame him though. Both Horner and Markko are both *choose a plural expletive* after all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:39 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
common sense would ban small aerodynamics parts that could go into the cockpit and cause cuts

should be good in both ways, more safety and less dirty air

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't think cuts are what they're worried about. A spring put the dent in Felipe's head in 2009, banning those probably isn't an option.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

so just reinforce those parts, making the cars heavier and then more difficult to drive and enhancing racing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You could reinforce anything and everything, but that doesn't stop a freak occurrence like Hungary 09 when something worked itself loose and bounced along the racing line then into the path of a very specific part of the cockpit.

Banning all the silly and overly complex aero devices, winglets and simplifying aero would reduce the amount of debris dropped around the circuit which lead to the farcical situation at Baku.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I just kind accepted the fact that they'll never listen to fans no matter what

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

pending wrote:
I'm just gonna say this: Folks are gonna love IndyCar in the next few years.

Well, allegedly IndyCar has been keeping an eye on cockpit protection development by the FIA.

Maybe in a few years, we're all going to be watching some obscure indonesian series or something, the only one with real open cockpits.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:20 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ill say this, from the first day a driver decides to do motorsport he must accept he can die. Otherwise he wouldnt race.
But F1 wants to take away that danger and make it 100% safe, this is not motorsport then
even with halo it still cant give you 100% safety, once the car flips and goes in flames youre dead cuz you cant get out cuz of halo.
Alonso wouldnt come out after his crash in Australia 2016

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

According to the 80s, in the future all sports are meant to be bloodsports where ex-cons compete to be the last one alive. What the fuck happened? :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:02 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Philthy82 wrote:
According to the 80s, in the future all sports are meant to be bloodsports where ex-cons compete to be the last one alive. What the fuck happened? :(

Millenials...it's always those fucking millenials.

IndyCar will be big next years. No bitching millionaires that are afraid of kerbs and real racing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:02 am 

Remote controlled cars FTW :slaphead:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It was on 7mate a few weeks ago just as I was going to bed, had to watch it. Who knew Mick Fleetwood and Frank Zappa's kid were in it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:12 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

pdukers wrote:
Remote controlled cars FTW :slaphead:

That's what I've been thinking. If they're so overly concerned about drivers safety make it remote control and eliminate all risk of drivers getting injured.

I pretty much dislike Dutch tv commentator Olav Mol but I agree with his latest tweet

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Olav_Mol/status/887756547857813504[/tweet]

(roughly) Translated:

Quote:
Can already see the FIA press release in 2019:...Due to safety issues the HALO is banned effective immediately.

Only difference is that I can see it happen in 2018 already.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

alex1369 wrote:
Ill say this, from the first day a driver decides to do motorsport he must accept he can die. Otherwise he wouldnt race.

I think this has become a myth. I've only ever heard this in F1 documentaries produced up to the early 90s, and since then in the mouth of journalists for dramatization. Never from a driver, unless it's when they make a test drive in an older car and keep saying how it was dangerous back then. Danger and the love of risk is never brought up as a primary driver for joining motorsports, it's gotten replaced by competitiveness, challenge, wanting to become the BEST NUMBA ONE!!! etc...

When you get in a modern car on a modern circuit, death is not even at the back of your mind nowadays. Obviously, people still die, and obviously freak occurrences will occur. But just like I don't worry about the one in a million chance that a tile or a coconut falls on my head and kills me, most modern day drivers don't worry about the one in a million chance of getting killed in a race car today.

Edit: the last time F1 drivers took a start thinking that there was a tangible possibility to die in their car during the race, was Imola 1994.

Last edited by Coldtyre on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
alex1369 wrote:

I think this has become a myth. I've only ever heard this in F1 documentaries produced up to the early 90s, and since then in the mouth of journalists for dramatization. Never from a driver, unless it's when they make a test drive in an older car and keep saying how it was dangerous back then. Danger and the love of risk is never brought up as a primary driver for joining motorsports, it's gotten replaced by competitiveness, challenge etc...

When you get in a modern car on a modern circuit, death is not even at the back of your mind nowadays. Obviously, people still die, and obviously freak occurrences will occur. But just like I don't worry about the one in a million chance that a tile or a coconut falls on my head and kills me, most modern day drivers don't worry about the one in a million chance of getting killed in a race car today.

If you strap yourself in a vehicle that can do well over 300km/h and you never ever considered it could end up killing you they should revoke your license on the spot and ban you from racing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Are you a journalist? That's the kind of dramatization I'm talking about. 300kph is enough kinetic energy to kill you, but you ain't coming to a dead stop from 300kph, or when that happens, it's the kind of freak occurrence I'm talking about.
Actually, just standing up, there's enough potential energy from gravity that if you slipped and fell on your head, you could die. It happened on an icy walkway to a colleague. It's a freak occurrence, would we classify standing up and walking as a dangerous activity because of that? No, because regular falls from a standstill don't end up in death.

The dynamics of racing, construction of cars and circuit layout, mean that regular driving mistakes and mechanical failures, have virtually no chance of ending in death nowadays. That's where I'm coming from. Back when that was the case, (60s, 70s), then yeah, you could bring up death risk.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

it still is a risk. One way or the other. As long as you're physically in the car there is a risk of doing something that ends up in death or at least injury.

And as a driver you should be aware of it and accept that risk or get out.

The attitude of thinking nothing will happen to you is a very dangerous one. Verstappen is already defending on the very edge. False sense of safety among drivers will only make them take more risk. And that's the moment you end up with those freak accidents no-one had prepared for.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:38 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

One thing that has barely been discussed about the halo is that it can also deflect objects into the cockpit, where the driver is not protected at all. For instance Massa's spring to the head. What if it hit the underside of the halo, then ricochets down onto his chest?

I do hope it happens in testing with a harmless object or someone gets trapped in the car after a shunt for them to see that they created an endless array of new ways to get harmed instead of making it safer.

Of course the GPDA with Alex Wurz now advocates it, but to be honest: If open cockpit racing is too dangerous for you, there's a very competitive alternative in the WEC.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wonder how many times drivers will use it as an excuse whenever they crash into another.

"sorry, didn't see him because of the HALO".
It will generate a whole new controversy. Will they punish someone for something out of his control (his vision could really be hindered)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 186 87 88 89 90141 Next