TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2968 posts ]  Go to page Previous 182 83 84 85 86149 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Picking the evening races [North American] and the season opener makes the most sense as part of Sky's selection. It forces the BBC to be unable to show their delayed coverage/highlights till the following Monday where all but the hardcore fans will already have forgotten about it, plus those races peak at over 6m-7m viewers on the BBC. Sky will get nowhere near that but it'd be their highest viewing figures of the year and wouldn't directly clash with the Football at all.

Having the season opener simply allows them to make a big deal about it. No doubt the Beeb will go for Spa, Monza and Singapore but if they had any sense they'd pick Malaysia. They have to avoid not showing the first 3-4 races of the season if they want to retain some of the casual fans. No point turning up in Spain or Monaco acting as if it's only just got underway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:44 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just been listening to 5Live, and Bernie saying the BBC can show as-live delayed coverage, but he prefers them to show highlights. Hopefully he can be swayed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:20 pm 

Tamburello94 wrote:
Just been listening to 5Live, and Bernie saying the BBC can show as-live delayed coverage, but he prefers them to show highlights. Hopefully he can be swayed.

Why would he prefer them not to? Surely showing a full race in the evening would be good as it means the die hard fans who dont have Sky will not miss a thing?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:30 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

He mentioned in the 5Live interview something about coverage being neatly packaged into hour slots.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FOTA have convinced Bernie to get the BBC to show all races in Full live or delayed:

https://twitter.com/#!/F1Times/status/97029558552887296
Quote:
It seems the teams have pressured Ecclestone to ensure the BBC shows all the races, 10 live, 10 delayed, rather than highlights. #F1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:38 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Which makes you wonder what Sky are actually getting out of this really. BBC coverage of European Sky races will air at prime-time, thus grabbing potentially a wide audience share.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What Sky are getting is their foot in the door to eventually wrestle it completely from BBC and FTA.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James Allen with a bit more info regarding some co-operation between Sky & BBC:
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/07/n ... bc-emerge/

Quote:
This evening I’ve managed to get a much clearer picture of how the new SKY/BBC TV deal in the UK is going to work and it’s not what many people think.

First the subject of what the BBC will show on the 10 weekends when SKY has the exclusive live rights. Although FOTA chairman Martin Whitmarsh says he has had assurances from Bernie Ecclestone today that the race will be shown in its entirety a few hours delayed on free to air, BBC sources say that this is not the case and that the show will be around 75 minutes, meaning extended highlights with brief introduction and post race analysis.

So either Whitmarsh is taking a leaf from Ecclestone’s book and spreading confusion, or he’s taking a negotiating stance, suggesting that the scenario he paints is what would be acceptable to the teams under the Concorde Agreement, which safeguards their interests against F1 going live on Free to Air TV exclusively.

There is more to come on this subject.

The BBC will show these extended highlights in a 5pm or 6pm slot on Sunday night, which is prime time TV, hence the assumption by Ecclestone that the casual viewer will be caught up and in this way the audience may grow.

The extent of the collaboration between BBC and Sky on the production of the coverage is also becoming clearer. The commentary will be shared between both programmes, but the presentation teams will be different. The BBC is likely to have limited presentation as they will want to get quickly into the race highlights action at the start of the show and then there will be some analysis afterwards.

However the on site facilities will be shared, so rather than having two trucks, they will share edit equipment and production facilities. This will mean a major saving for both sides.

This is what BBC F1 boss Ben Gallop means by “shared economy.”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:24 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I really hope there is negotiation on the 'delayed coverage.' Unless Bernie firmly sticks to his stance and becomes a hard ass over it.

I wonder if Brundle will be persuaded to rejoin the new setup?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a note about all the Utter Bollox talked about the BBC north move..
Someone stated that a sixth of the population lives in London, if you strip out the "non nationals" and the people who moved there to work the actual percentage figure drops more than you would think.. London is over populated with "non cockneys"..(fuck me, if Anyone is going to insult northerners that gives northerners a right to insult southern shandy drinkers!)...
The move to Salford Quays is also to do with giving the staff a better standard of living too!.. Some of it is the fact that the BBC can nolonger justify paying peripheral staff a London living allowance when the majority of them are from other parts of the country and moved there to work..
Many here have been to London?.. Don't try to tell me it's a utopia of clean,affordable living in low crime areas!
it's a dustbin and full of self righteous, unfriendly and arrogant ***** who consider themselves better than the rest of the country because they're from the "capital"

20mins away from Salford and you can be in the open countryside..20mins away from the BBC office in London and you havent even seen signs for the M25!

If you've never been further north than the Watford gap you don't know what you are missing!

Salford is a place of work, it's going through Billions in redevelopment at the moment, has excellent transport links, shopping and it's own airport.. It's major down fall is that pile of shyte football stadium and the 1000s of brain doners who turn up there every other week!... Which thinking about it means it will save the country a shitload on road repairs too!.. As loads of Their fans will have moved nearer rather than travelling up anyway!
So.. Don't moan about other parts of the country.. Grass ain't so green on your own side of the fence either!

It's your forum and I paid the bills this year.. :p :p

and if people don't like it they shouldComplain here

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Marv, put down the Daily Mail.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:14 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Northern pride FTW.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Phil, it isn't about that, I just get issued at people that slag somewhere off without having compared it to their own circumstances.. Someone in London flagging off Salford when they have only ever seen it on TV!
In every town in every country there are good and bad places, nice and horrid.. I just wish people would focus on their own issues rather than slag off others
(and it is about pride, but I have lived in all 4 corners of the land, yet I still live here... And it's a good place to live!)

It's your forum and I paid the bills this year.. :p :p

and if people don't like it they shouldComplain here

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm not slagging off Salford, I'm questioning why the BBC feels it needs to move away from the capital of the country - usually where the major stories are centred around - at an extortionate cost.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:06 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
"The extent of the collaboration between BBC and Sky on the production of the coverage is also becoming clearer. The commentary will be shared between both programmes, but the presentation teams will be different."

Please keep Brundle & DC!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:08 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

phil1993 wrote:
Quote:
"The extent of the collaboration between BBC and Sky on the production of the coverage is also becoming clearer. The commentary will be shared between both programmes, but the presentation teams will be different."

Please keep Brundle & DC!

Ben...Freaking....Edwards...

I'm about the only person in the world that doesn't like the commentary atm. It's too chatty, like two blokes down the pub, and every time there's an incident instead of doing the whole "woaaarrrghh, Lewis Hamilton TAKES THE LEAD! HE passed Alonso RIGHT AROUND THE OUTSIDE! HE IS A TIGER! AMAZING!" excitment building thing that Murray used to do, he switches immediately to "Hamilton did the same move on Alonso that he stopped Webber doing a lap ago, using the better grip provided by the warmer tyres to cling right around the outside line and pass the Ferrari" analysis mode.

When he does that I just think Arrghhh save it for the replays and show some damn emotion dammit!

Still, despite that he is a great commentator, he's just an analyst with ideas above his station...

DC's still a biased arse though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Brundle seems to be quite upset:

Martin Brundle wrote:
I've 2 exciting race drives lined up for 2012, but absolutely no idea what will happen re F1 TV and don't expect to for weeks or even months.

Not looking for sympathy team, just answering million tweets asking what's happening. Simply don't know yet. Truly sorry so many fans upset

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Seems Sky may offer Brundle a commentary role:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... egins.html

Also:
http://www.fanvision.com/F1/TheExperts/ ... re_is_less
Quote:
The biggest audience on Sky Sports 1 from 10 to 17 July (the most recent figures available) was 248,000 for 20/20 Cricket. In fact, I hear this was the biggest audience on any Sky Sports channel that week.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:13 am 

Well that's positive news considering that the commentary will be shared but it is the Daily Mail after all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Someone at the DM doesn't seem to like Jake
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... l?ITO=1490

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2968 posts ]  Go to page Previous 182 83 84 85 86149 Next