TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2968 posts ]  Go to page Previous 181 82 83 84 85149 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't blame Bernie for trying to talk it up.

I am disappointed that McLaren have seemingly improved, because otherwise Whitmarsh would have been sacked and no-one would have to suffer his incompetency.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Piece by Keith Heuwen
http://plus.autosport.com/free/feature/ ... he-future/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'd rather get the opinion of a neutral person. Humphrey is a drone, but this guy is no United Nations either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Been reading the comments of people on here, and I totally agree with the sense of dismay and disillusionment with this deal and there seems to be thousands and thousands people out there that will share this. So far Im yet to hear anyone say this deal is a good thing. The BBC are trying to talk it up by saying "dont worry, this is still going to be great. F1 is still going to be on the BBC and thats all that matters". To be honest I'd rather the BBC drop the coverage altogether and let another terrestrial channel pick it up, even if that meant the quality of coverage dropped a bit.

Im sure Sky will do a good job of covering F1, and thats great if you're actually able to watch it. I dont have Sky Sports, and I probably wont be able to get it in the near future as I cant afford it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:41 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

amq55 wrote:
I'd rather get the opinion of a neutral person. Humphrey is a drone, but this guy is no United Nations either.

I'm 100% Neutral :p
http://www.f1zone.net/site/bbcsky-deal- ... r-f1/7858/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:45 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

phil1993 wrote:
amq55 wrote:

I'm 100% Neutral :p
http://www.f1zone.net/site/bbcsky-deal- ... r-f1/7858/

I've read it and it's great, but i want to read what someone in the area thinks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:48 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Ian-S wrote:
Bernie talking out his arse again I see:

It's good for Formula 1," he said. "For sure there are going to be a lot more people viewing, and a lot more opportunities for people to view, so from that point I'm very happy....
...I know, but from what I understand Sky has enormous coverage, 10 million homes."

Someone better explain the to him 10 million Sky subscribers is only a 10% share of the potential audience the BBC gave him, and everybody on Sky already has BBC so it's not in addition to it duh.

And not all of those 10 million Sky customers even take the sport channels....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian-S wrote:

Someone better explain the to him 10 million Sky subscribers is only a 10% share of the potential audience the BBC gave him, and everybody on Sky already has BBC so it's not in addition to it duh.

Exactly, the races only on Sky will have much less viewers. The only people who will watch F1 on Sky are the ones who watch F1 on the BBC and already have a sky subscription. There will be some people subscribing to Sky now to keep watching F1, but I don't think that will be millions of people. And I think BBC will also lose viewers. People won't know when there is a race on BBC anymore or just don't care if they can't watch all of them. The highlights won't get the same amount of viewers as the live races. I for one can't be satisfied with a highlight program. I either watch a race live, record it or watch a full length replay or download the race. Highlight shows always lack some things, so I never watch them from any motorsport series.

I'm very interested in what the main BBC presenters will say about this, not Jake but Eddie and Martin. Eddie will either say it's a disaster or say it's brilliant (if he wants a job at Sky sports)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:06 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I highly doubt they will bring it up at all. I don't recall ITV doing anything until their last ever race in Brazil. Plus they're all under BBC contracts I suspect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Martin has already hinted on Twitter that he's not happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:14 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Jake will tow the BBC line, EJ probably won't know what's going on, DC will be too busy remembering how to pronounce Vettel & Heidfeld, so Brundle's probably the one to say something if anything will be said.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not sure if anyone else listens to Chris Moyles show every morning, but Jake Hamphrey appears on it for a little segment every Friday on a race weekend to discuss the happenings in F1. He was on it today and although he had only just found out about the news and didnt want to express any of his personal views about whats happened, you could tell by the tone of his voice that he was pretty distraught about it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:22 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Whofan wrote:
Not sure if anyone else listens to Chris Moyles show every morning, but Jake Hamphrey appears on it for a little segment every Friday on a race weekend to discuss the happenings in F1. He was on it today and although he had only just found out about the news and didnt want to express any of his personal views about whats happened, you could tell by the tone of his voice that he was pretty distraught about it

I guess thats understandable. I mean, sure he's contracted to the BBC but it must come as a blow.

I've heard that you can buy European Satellite dishes, don't know how much, but that means you could watch RTL or La Sexta on TV, and just use 5Live commentary. Might be initially expensive, but cheaper than Sky!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Someone who works at BBC responds to some post's on DigitalSpy:
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost ... count=1585

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:17 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

StefMeister wrote:

I like how he tries to pretty that all up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

'Every second of the Olympics'

Look at the number of people who genuinely care. Zero.

No-one gives a shit. The only Olympic event that everyone cares about is the 100m final. Beyond that, everyone will have one or two events they might follow and that is it. And even if you do like, for example, the boxing, I'm quite sure that you won't want to watch a first-round match between some gimp from Uzbekistan who punches like a spastic and some unknown Brit that looks like a schoolboy.

That is the sort of crap that should be farmed out to Sky.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

StefMeister wrote:

So the races that arent live on BBC will be shown in full later in the day. Same with qualifying. That'll mean having to avoid all news for a couple of hours until they show the re-run

Also, I wonder if they'll continue with the F1 Forum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:55 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Whofan wrote:
StefMeister wrote:

So the races that arent live on BBC will be shown in full later in the day. Same with qualifying. That'll mean having to avoid all news for a couple of hours until they show the re-run

Also, I wonder if they'll continue with the F1 Forum

Can't really have an interactive forum on something which isn't live.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I meant more in general. Obviously they wont do it for the races they're not showing live, just wondering if they'll continue to do it on the races they are showing. I certainly hope they will

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:23 pm 

phil1993 wrote:
The thought of no more Brundle is just :(

What will happen when F1 goes up against Premier League (March, April, Aug - Nov)?

Well I have the basic Sky package, which means I get Sky Sports 1 & 2. I dont have Sky Sports 3, so I really hope it is shown on the 1st 2.

F1 is such a big coup for Sky, they've been after it since the 90's apparently, so when it does happen, they will be massive on pushing it, so I'm hoping it will be Sky Sports 1. Its already been confirmed that Sky Sports News will do the post race stuff afterwards.

In terms of clashing with Premier League games, they can just swap Sky channels for those, though I'd expect Football will be the priority. The issue comes if a race overruns, eg. Canada 2011. Sky have a tight schedule of live sport, so I dont know if they would sit around for a couple of hours while nothing happens, while there is live golf and cricket going on.

Here's how the race selection works according to The Guardian....

- BBC pick 3 races (already done: Britain, Monaco & Brazil - assuming Brazil remains as final race)
- Sky will pick the next 3 races - personally, 2 clever moves would be to pick the remaining North American races in Canada and USA plus a popular European race such as Belgium or Italy, as these usually generate the biggest ratings... OR they would pick the 3 races before the final race, knowing there is a strong chance that the title will be decided in one of these - so in this case Abu Dhabi, Bahrain and USA.
- BBC pick 3 races, then Sky pick 3, until there is one race left, which goes to Sky.

BBC won't stream races on weekends that Sky have the rights - James Allen posted that they will, but according to the BBC website, it says they will only have 5Live and evening highlights.

I was also wondering if the BBC would be breaching contract if they showed the full race in the evening rather than highlights, still a gray area.

But the biggest issue..... surely Sky wont have rights to The Chain :ohmy:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2968 posts ]  Go to page Previous 181 82 83 84 85149 Next