TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10207 Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

acopip wrote:
Well, Newey is gone. May be because of that.

All of Newey's previous teams experienced a sharp decline in results after he left them, so it may well be.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
acopip wrote:

All of Newey's previous teams experienced a sharp decline in results after he left them, so it may well be.

Apart from McLaren, who went through decline while he was still there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:19 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

kals wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
acopip wrote:

Apart from McLaren, who went through decline while he was still there.

I don't think it was Newey's fault, more like unreliability of Mercedes. The 2003 was a design failure, but rest of Newey designed McLarens were pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:17 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The 2005 McLaren might have been one of the best he has made.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2004 was an utter failure and everyone kept blaming Mercedes. Except Newey's design wasn't all that good and he pushed the envelope, which made the cars prone to fragility. Same in 2006. We've seen that somewhere else more recently....

Remember that 2002 wasn't all that good either, and 2003 was only a positive blip thanks to using upgraded 2002 and having decent reliability which created good consistent scoring. 2005 was amazing but being brutally honest that year was a blip during a period of significant mediocrity for McLaren.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
so Bernie is seeking the return of NA engines, that could be something

or not

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:

or not
Said he's going to push for 1000bhp V10's to be introduced in 2016 at the next strategy meeting apparently & he seems to believe he'll get majority agreement.

Also seems to think that the manufacturer's/teams spending a fortune on the current formula only to then ditch/replace it after 2 years where the manufacturer's/teams will have to spend a fortune on a completely new engine package won't be that expensive or have cost anybody a great deal.

Seems he also doesn't think the current V6 Turbo formula is what brought Honda back & that he doesn't care if Mercedes, Renault & Honda opt to pull out if they go back to V8/V10's because there all bound to pull out in a few years anyway.

I also saw that he's still pushing for double points over the final 3 races & believes that Abu Dhabi saw a 20% rise in attendance this year because everybody was excited about it been double points :lol:

I know that Bernie often talks crap, But some of the crap he's been spouting this year has been utterly hilarious but at the same time as a fan a bit worrying.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I agree - he does normally come up with stuff like this in order to force other changes through, but this year he seems to have been getting progressively more ridiculous. I don't think any of the manufacturers would want to ditch the current program and go back to one last used in 2005, that was itself ditched for being too expensive and only apparently road-relevant to BMW.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:29 pm 

Omega wrote:
StefMeister wrote:
kals wrote:
Agreed. However I would say some luck was received, in the form on McLaren messing up Lewis' fueling during Q3 on Saturday.
To be honest I think Pastor would still have won that race even if Hamilton had kept his pole.

I say that as in both the FP2 long runs & the race itself even when in clear air Lewis was a few tenths off what Pastor & Alonso were doing up front.

We'll never know, but I think Hamilton would have won with 20 seconds

Possible but just not based in any fact. Stef's guess is better because Lewis race pace was indeed mediocre, compared to Maldonado and Alonso's.
kals wrote:
2005 was amazing but being brutally honest that year was a blip during a period of significant mediocrity for McLaren.

2005 was phenomenal, speed-wise.

Even the "mediocre" cars of other years were on pole and won races quite a few times(as well as fought for the tittle in 2003). Something Mclaren is very far from getting since 2013...
Scotty wrote:
Here's a wild theory - they went with Button at McLaren because they didn't want Magnussen to do to Alonso as Ricciardo did to Vettel. So they put a mediocre, albeit solid driver, instead of someone who could have flashes of brilliance that could overshadow him.

Wild I don't know. It's delusional, though. Magnussen couldn't even keep up with Button. How can anyone speculate he would be anywhere near Alonso?!

Hell, no driver is talented enough to do to Alonso what Ricciardo did to Vettel.

It's funny, not matter who, and by how much, Alonso beats, you'll always still have some rival driver's fans underating him. For instance, Massa usually had better race pace than Bottas, and the Finn has been very hyped for the past 2 years. Either he's not that good or Alonso is just on another league altogether.
StefMeister wrote:
Said he's going to push for 1000bhp V10's to be introduced in 2016 at the next strategy meeting apparently & he seems to believe he'll get majority agreement.

This suits well with that race car engineering article I linked couple of pages ago. Red Bull and Ferrari(because of PUs) pretty much already admitted they will not be able to beat Mercedes in 2015 but won't accept this status quo for 2016

I don't mind the PUs and quite liked them since the begining but I can't complain about a 1000HP V10. Can any racing fan do? Still, sounds to good to be true and I can't see it happening in the current world context we live in(hybrid tech, fake enviromental care marketing and etc) and only 2 years after a new propeller introduction which had loads of investments put into it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:51 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just let them race with the engine they want.
Mercedes and Honda could go with the V6 Hybrid, Ferrari with the V12 and Renault with the V8 Turbo.
Opens room for Toyota, VW, Cosworth, too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Ferrari is letting the V12 for history, even in the road cars they're going for smaller turbocharged engines

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:10 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I was thinking of the LaFerrari, that one does have a V12 hybrid IIRC, I think that would be an option for them.
But what I was trying to say is that every manufacturer should have the freedom to develop their own concepts which suits their company their best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's not how it works though. In a perfect world maybe, but this isn't that.

Whenever there is a freedom around regulations, the eventuality is that the majority will adopt the concept that clearly provides most benefit. So you'll end up with almost every team using a single engine format.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
That's not how it works though. In a perfect world maybe, but this isn't that.

Whenever there is a freedom around regulations, the eventuality is that the majority will adopt the concept that clearly provides most benefit. So you'll end up with almost every team using a single engine format.

Yup. And I suspect we would just end up with slightly bigger versions of what we have now, or more peaky transplants from WEC cars.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:54 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

StefMeister wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:

or not

Also seems to think that the manufacturer's/teams spending a fortune on the current formula only to then ditch/replace it after 2 years where the manufacturer's/teams will have to spend a fortune on a completely new engine package won't be that expensive or have cost anybody a great deal.

Seems he also doesn't think the current V6 Turbo formula is what brought Honda back & that he doesn't care if Mercedes, Renault & Honda opt to pull out if they go back to V8/V10's because there all bound to pull out in a few years anyway.

I also saw that he's still pushing for double points over the final 3 races & believes that Abu Dhabi saw a 20% rise in attendance this year because everybody was excited about it been double points :lol:

I know that Bernie often talks crap, But some of the crap he's been spouting this year has been utterly hilarious but at the same time as a fan a bit worrying.

Let us just hope he is adopting his old friend max's tactics of suggesting something very extreme in order to push through more moderate comprises.

Saying that the expense of these new engines has already taken down two teams. Now they're here I don't see anyone wanting to throw them out and start again with something MORE costly.

gkmotorsport wrote:
acopip wrote:

Don't forget jaguar! They only had to look at newey before they imploded! :-p

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:39 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I dont think V10 will return (maybe in future), why because refueling would be back.. I dont think F1 cars would make the race distance without refueling...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:46 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Bernie hasn't made himself popular with some comments in the recent past, perhaps this is his way in getting back some credits from the fans (if he even cares about that).

Either way, no way we'll go back to V8/V10 in the coming years.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:24 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

If they want to bring back refuelling, use a smaller cell and get rid of all engine maps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

acopip wrote:
Just let them race with the engine they want.
Mercedes and Honda could go with the V6 Hybrid, Ferrari with the V12 and Renault with the V8 Turbo.
Opens room for Toyota, VW, Cosworth, too.

I'd say they can use xx amount of gasoline or xx amount of diesel fuel. (diesel may even be banned but not sure on that yet).
Electric engines can only power rear wheels and can only do xx amount of horsepower. I'd say let them use whatever HP they want as more HP would mean bigger motors and batteries but technology is rapidly improving so I fear we could see high powered yet small sized electric engines with small batteries.

Build whatever you please within those limits.
Then again I still think most manufacturers will end up with roughly the same. We saw that in the mid to late 90's Ferrari dropped the V12 because the extra power didn't weight up to the lighter and smaller V10. And the size and weight of the V8 didn't compensate the lack of power compared to the V10.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:04 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

micha wrote:
Then again I still think most manufacturers will end up with roughly the same. We saw that in the mid to late 90's Ferrari dropped the V12 because the extra power didn't weight up to the lighter and smaller V10. And the size and weight of the V8 didn't compensate the lack of power compared to the V10.

Le Mans has more open rules than what you've proposed and we have 3 completely different prototypes with 3 completely different power units, and a 4th claiming to be different to the others again (although I fail to see how, but that's what they've said, with a lack of details).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10207 Next