TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous 153 54 55 56 5779 Next

Who will lead the Drivers Championship after the Japanese GP?
Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:53 am
Lewis HAMILTON 64%  64%  [ 21 ]
Nico ROSBERG 36%  36%  [ 12 ]
Total votes: 33
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whether or not he slowed down or not, the key factor at the time was the worsening conditions. I've heard drivers state that lifting off can cause you to aquaplane, especially if you hit one of the rivers that can form.

Considering the conditions, this is a time they should have pulled the SC out to retrieve Sutil's car. It's not always needed but in this case it most certainly was.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:01 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It frustrates me hugely how safety is managed in F1 these days...

they are putting tarmac like at every corner in name of safety
when it is wet, they tend to keep out the safety car out until everybode changes for intermediates (Japan, Canada a while ago)
but when it is AND wet, AND raining heavier, AND there is a stationary tractor at the end of a rather fast corner, they don't send out the Safety car?

I'd rather have NO tarmac run off, NO safety car for such long periods when wet, but YES to a Safety car in these kind of situations.

Wasn't there another situation this year there wasn't a SC but everyone was expecting it?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:01 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

We were so lucky in the past years. Kubica '07, Massa '09, marshalls falling on track in Canada, tires flying in the pits...
Last year, we have already had 2 (indirect) fatalities in F1 with de Villota and the marshall in Canada.
This time, the luck has left us and we can only hope for the best.
Get well soon Jules, I always to see you at Ferrari, you can do that :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:03 pm 
Champion GIF Maker
Champion GIF Maker

Jason wrote:
Throwing it out there,

Yes it was getting wetter but how do we know Jules didn't slow down for the double waved yellows? Sutil already confirmed that he saw double waved yellows whilst his car was being recovered.

Something the FIA will look at I'm sure if they can get their hands on the telemetry.

He could have contributed to his own accident.

Will probably get flamed for saying it, but I'm sure many of us has thought it.

The F1-App-GPS video I saw showed that Jules went up to 216 kph before decelerating. To me, that's not a double waved yellow behaviour :/ Especially in a blind turn, whcih sees speeds in excess of 220 kph on its first apex in dry conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

aerogi wrote:
It frustrates me hugely how safety is managed in F1 these days...

they are putting tarmac like at every corner in name of safety
when it is wet, they tend to keep out the safety car out until everybode changes for intermediates (Japan, Canada a while ago)
but when it is AND wet, AND raining heavier, AND there is a stationary tractor at the end of a rather fast corner, they don't send out the Safety car?

I'd rather have NO tarmac run off, NO safety car for such long periods when wet, but YES to a Safety car in these kind of situations.

Wasn't there another situation this year there wasn't a SC but everyone was expecting it?

This is what I've been saying for years everytime they send marshalls on the race track without throwing a safetycar. We've actually been lucky today that Bianchi didn't hit 2 or 3 marshalls before hitting the recovery vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:09 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Mäth wrote:
Jason wrote:
Throwing it out there,

Yes it was getting wetter but how do we know Jules didn't slow down for the double waved yellows? Sutil already confirmed that he saw double waved yellows whilst his car was being recovered.

Something the FIA will look at I'm sure if they can get their hands on the telemetry.

He could have contributed to his own accident.

Will probably get flamed for saying it, but I'm sure many of us has thought it.

The F1-App-GPS video I saw showed that Jules went up to 216 kph before decelerating. To me, that's not a double waved yellow behaviour :/ Especially in a blind turn, whcih sees speeds in excess of 220 kph on its first apex in dry conditions.

Which is why you can't trust a double waved yellow to be enough in any situation.

The drivers are too busy thinking about their own races and maximising any situation to their own advantage to make it completely as safe as it needs to be for the marshals to do their work.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
Whether or not he slowed down or not, the key factor at the time was the worsening conditions. I've heard drivers state that lifting off can cause you to aquaplane, especially if you hit one of the rivers that can form.

Considering the conditions, this is a time they should have pulled the SC out to retrieve Sutil's car. It's not always needed but in this case it most certainly was.

Multiple potential reasons why Bianchi went off...

Lift off oversteer

Loss of downforce due to quick reduction in speed

Changing conditions from lap to lap

Reduced tyre pressures due to slower speeds reducing grip

...the list goes on. There are times when keeping sustained speed in wet conditions is the best and safest option.

Last edited by kals on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:12 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

There's a picture doing the rounds on the internet of Jules being treated while still in the car where you can clearly see his helmet and what is left of the car, etc.

Has it already been posted here? First time I've seen it anyway....don't want to re-share something that is disturbing AND has already been seen.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:12 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

yes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeaa its been posted here a few times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:14 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

OK

I could compare the remains of that car to something else. I'm sure it's gone through a fair few other people's minds atm too, but I won't post it now during this dark time as I don't think it'd be helpful

#keepfightingjules

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kals wrote:
Gaara wrote:

Lift off oversteer

...the list goes on. There are times when keeping sustained speed in wet conditions is the best and safest option.

It was something they brought up while trundling around under the SC start when they wanted it to go faster. They had that lower downforce because of the much slower speed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:20 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

kals wrote:
Gaara wrote:

Lift off oversteer

It seems this pic was taken just before the crash.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've said it for so many years, but double waved yellows mean slow down and be prepared to stop. Slowing down by a tenth of a second should not be acceptable. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but the point is that yellow flags barely mean anything; as long as you don't set your fastest sector.

I pretty much agree that any recovery vehicle on circuit should almost always be a SC. As soon as I saw it by Sutil's car, I thought about how risky it was if one car has already aquaplaned off there.

I just hope this doesn't affect wet race running. I'm assuming Jules and Adrian were still on inters? It's up to them to swap onto the correct tyre. I don't think it was unsafe to still be racing at that point, but I worry they'll be even stricter with wet conditions. It was already overly conservative at the start, regardless of what Massa was going on about.

That aside, prayers are with Jules.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bianchi was still on inters.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mäth wrote:

Maybe the 216kph was already after slowing down, what was the speed the lap before according to that app? I hate it when people post incomplete info (not you, the GPS video you're talking about).

They followed the two Mercs when they were fighting, and they were in the high 230s already at that point (past half of the second curve). Granted, in better track conditions.

This will all be part of the investigation anyway, we will have the full telemetry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So Bianchi basically had the same spin like Sutil, just earlier. Probably did a 360 spin and tried to save it?

Last edited by American Dragon on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

American Dragon wrote:

So Bianchi basically had the same spin like Sutil, just earlier. Probably did a 360 spin and tried it save it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:34 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ok, now we're blaming race car drivers for simply losing control on a wet race track?!

gimme a break! that can happen to any race driver, any time they are behind the wheel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Approximate speeds in that corner, the camera is following Hamilton's car.
Acknowledged: it's a Mercedes, and it's earlier in the race, but gives an idea.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous 153 54 55 56 5779 Next