TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 943 posts ]  Go to page Previous 144 45 46 47 48 Next
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I didn't buy F1TV for this year as 140€ per year was too expensive, but if cars had this sound again, with exaggerating I'd pay 140€ per month just to be able to listen the feed without commentary.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
Bringing back the noise? Maybe? In 6 years? https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-r ... /10611063/

I'll never understand the obsession with noise

I work at a racetrack, literally every single person involved in racing is deaf as a post

I like my hearing....

Noise is wasted energy

No wonder you love that crappy 2014-16 rules package. I wonder how much you would like noise if Hamilton only won on those cars. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:28 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Soul Reaver wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:
Bringing back the noise? Maybe? In 6 years? https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-r ... /10611063/

I work at a racetrack, literally every single person involved in racing is deaf as a post

I like my hearing....

Noise is wasted energy

No wonder you love that crappy 2014-16 rules package. I wonder how much you would like noise if Hamilton only won on those cars. :roll:

What, lower downforce so the cars could overtake and race better? Definitely.... :whistling:

They haven't actually done anything to make the engines louder since then you know, bar some kind of exhaust mod in 2015 or so...

It was the changes for 2017 that sent us down the crappy road we're on now, and they didn't exactly make the engines any louder then

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:08 pm 

codename_47 wrote:
It was the changes for 1998 that sent us down the crappy road we're on now

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:16 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

ZeroX wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
It was the changes for 1994 that sent us down the crappy road we're on now

But you know, do ban Traction/Launch control lol

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:01 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

ZeroX wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
It was the changes for 1998 that sent us down the crappy road we're on now

1998 cars were the worst F1 cars of all time

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:33 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

codename_47 wrote:

Those people who are as deaf as a post never bothered to wear ear plugs when they should have. I know them because I'm surrounded by them in my line of work.

Also, those who work at a race track make up an incredibly small percentage of the Formula 1 viewership. A strong majority of F1 viewers probably only go to one F1 race a year.

I was well and truly in your camp in 2014, who needs the noise. But I've backflipped. The cars don't look fast, they don't sound like they're trying. A V8 screaming on the rev limiter doing 305km/h sounds so much better and looks faster, than these V6's doing 350km/h barely near the top of their rev range.

F1's official channel put the extended 15min highlights of the 2005 San Marino GP on YouTube last night, my god the racing sucked, but I was watching purely for the noise.

TL:DR...

EsbenT wrote:
For the punters, noise is a visceral thrill. That shouldn't be too hard to understand.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

peterohanrahanrahan wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Those people who are as deaf as a post never bothered to wear ear plugs when they should have. I know them because I'm surrounded by them in my line of work.

Also, those who work at a race track make up an incredibly small percentage of the Formula 1 viewership. A strong majority of F1 viewers probably only go to one F1 race a year.

I was well and truly in your camp in 2014, who needs the noise. But I've backflipped. The cars don't look fast, they don't sound like they're trying. A V8 screaming on the rev limiter doing 305km/h sounds so much better and looks faster, than these V6's doing 350km/h barely near the top of their rev range.

F1's official channel put the extended 15min highlights of the 2005 San Marino GP on YouTube last night, my god the racing sucked, but I was watching purely for the noise.

EsbenT wrote:
For the punters, noise is a visceral thrill. That shouldn't be too hard to understand.

Yeah that is what gets me. These cars are so big and heavy that they just don't look like they are going extremely fast, when in reality they are absolutley flying. Cars that were 4-5 seconds a lap slower in previuous eras looked like they were going much faster than the cars of today. How can something go so fast while looking slow?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 12:16 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

webbsy wrote:
peterohanrahanrahan wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

EsbenT wrote:

Yeah that is what gets me. These cars are so big and heavy that they just don't look like they are going extremely fast, when in reality they are absolutley flying. Cars that were 4-5 seconds a lap slower in previuous eras looked like they were going much faster than the cars of today. How can something go so fast while looking slow?
Exactly that! I know these are the fastest of all time but they look like lumbering land yachts and sound like eco minded sub compacts...

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 12:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

IMO the best sounds were pre-(original) turbo era F1 when it was a throaty bellow rather than a kettle scream.

https://youtu.be/ye2Q2E8CMgk?t=883

Not that it's even possible to get back to that with the current package, but I'm rather indifferent on the idea of bring back Schumi-era engine sounds.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 12:53 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

2014 the cars actually sounded alright, the first year of the hybrid era, onboard the cars anyway, but then the teams tweaked the engines so the peak of the power curve, or the optimal running of the engine, wasn't at the highest end of the rev range, so now it sounds like they're short shifting every single gear.

Imagine all the DTS fans the sport has bought in, hearing a pack full of V8's screaming past them for the first time. Yeah there would probably be a small percentage of people who'd say "too loud" but most would be blown away and happy to hear those engines again.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 4:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I'd say that watching Monaco GP inside the tunnel by 1995 might be pure nirvana

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 1:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

RtN wrote:
Elsewhere, Mario went to Washington today and found some friends.

https://racer.com/2024/05/01/u-s-congre ... situation/

Mario has found some more friends - Senators from both parties are now threatening Liberty with an antitrust investigation.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... rcna153201

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 4:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

next step is going for D. Trump and he'll force Andretti into F1 because "they're the true american team, a display for the traditional America*"

*but the main driver must be Santino Ferrucci

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Pat Symonds is going to leave the FIA for Andretti.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:53 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Rumour file;

Valterri Bottas to replace Logan Sargeant at Williams
Sergio Perez to stay at RBR for one extra year, but he's hanging for two
Daniel Ricciardo has until (and including) the Spanish GP (Monaco, Canada, Spain are up next) to get his shit sorted, or he's out for Lawson at Austria

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 4:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
RtN wrote:
Elsewhere, Mario went to Washington today and found some friends.

https://racer.com/2024/05/01/u-s-congre ... situation/

Mario has found some more friends - Senators from both parties are now threatening Liberty with an antitrust investigation.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... rcna153201

letters has sent to the Assistant Attorney General at the DOJ's anti trust division & to the chair of the Federal Trade Commission
https://www.klobuchar.senate.gov/public ... ormula-one

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/mar ... rcna153601

I really hope the lawmakers in Washington shove Andretti into F1

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 5:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... erre-gasly

Alpine is angry at Ocon for the collision.
/true reporting ends here, and speculation clickbait (based on seeing team principal standing with the reserve driver) starts here:
They would sit him out of Montreal in favour of Doohan.

I don't see that happening. What I see happening is Ocon quietly slipping out of F1, either end of this year after his contract ends, or after sliding down to Hass or Sauber. I can't see Toto taking him onboard unless he drastically changes his approach.
He had talent and speed, but decided to waste energy on ego-battles, jealousy, and mindgames instead of focusing on improving as a driver and team member. I'm disappointed, loved his aggressiveness and background early on.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 11:25 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I don't see it happening either (I'd love to see Jack Doohan in F1 so I'm impartial) but Ocon's had so many run-ins with teammates that he's starting to look like a serious liability. He crashed with Perez two, three times? He's crashed with Gasly twice now. I can't think of another driver who's had more crashes with their teammates than him in recent memory.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 943 posts ]  Go to page Previous 144 45 46 47 48 Next