TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 642 Next

Who will win the 2011 Championship?
Poll ended at Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:52 am
#1 James Courtney (HRT) 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
#2 Garth Tander (HRT) 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
#3 Tony D'Alberto (TDR) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#4 Alex Davison (SBR) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#5 Mark Winterbottom (FPR) 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
#6 Will Davison (FPR) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#7 Todd Kelly (JDR) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#8 Jason Bargwanna (BJR) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
#9 Shane Van Gisbergen (FPR) 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
#11 Greg Murphy (KRT) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
#12 Dean Fiore (FFF) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#14 Jason Bright (BJR) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#15 Rick Kelly (JDR) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#16 David Reynolds (KRT) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#17 Steven Johnson (DJR) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#18 James Moffat (DJR) 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
#19 Jonathon Webb (JWR) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#21 Karl Reindler (BRI) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#61 Fabian Coulthard (WAL) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#30 Warren Luff (LDM) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#33 Lee Holdsworth (GRM) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
#34 Michael Caruso (GRM) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#39 Russell Ingall (PMM) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
#47 Tim Slade (SBR) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#49 Steve Owen (PMM) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#55 Paul Dumbrell (RNR) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
#88 Jamie Whincup (888) 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
#888 Craig Lowndes (888) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 29
 Post subject: Re: V8SC 2011 Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:33 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I haven't really read or looked into this car of the future there doing. can someone give me a rundown on what it is? are they all the same cars or something, so no ford v holden anymore?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's basically going to be a control chassis, kinda like the CoT in the Sprint Cup Series (I'm not 100% sure whether a control chassis is also used in the Nationwide Series). Unlike in NASCAR, where they also run with control bodies, the V8SC COTF will allow manufacturers to design their own bodies and aero kits, kinda like the current cars today. It's just the floorpan and the rollcage which will be common for everyone. It's supposed to cut the cost of building race cars in half and make them easier to repair. As long as the quality of racing doesn't decline with the new car, I'm all for it. With the new car, it's very likely that another manufacturer will join Holden and Ford in the series. I reckon the rivalry between Holden and Ford will still be very much alive in the COTF days, especially in the early days, as any new manufacturer that comes won't have nearly the same amount of support as Ford and Holden, if any.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:06 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

True. Yeah i think it sounds good saving costs will bring in more teams and to keep them in the series to make it more affordable to run, it sounds good i doubt the racing will be much different from these days anyway the cars are pretty similar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:27 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/newsartic ... fault.aspx

Quote:
A feasibility study into a second racing circuit for Bathurst has also suggested a number of improvements to the famous Mount Panorama circuit including more permanent grandstands and accommodation.

AECOM Australia prepared the Mount Panorama Second Circuit Feasibility Study for the Homebush Motor Racing Authority, which assists with works associated with V8 Supercars’ Sydney Telstra 500.

A second circuit has been proposed in a bid to get motorbike racing back to Bathurst because the iconic 6.213km track used for the annual Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 is deemed unsuitable for bikes.

The study investigated a number of layouts for the proposed second circuit, which could also be used for four wheel racing and would not block public roads, which the current track forces when it is used.

AECOM’s study recommends the second circuit be a long term objective and should not be implemented before a revisal of the governance structure for the Mount Panorama precinct.

Other short term recommendations the study made include developing an enhanced tourist centre at the eastern end of the pit complex and a sky tower at the top of Mount Panoramas featuring a restaurant.

A permanent grandstand running along pit straight, with the possibility of attached accommodation or commercial activity, has been proposed in the study to remove the cost of constructing and removing temporary grandstands.

The construction of a motor industry research and development park by a private developer was also recommended in the study as a medium term objective which could help cover the cost to construct the second circuit.

V8 Supercars Events General Manager Shane Howard was consulted as part of the study.

The study said Howard “emphasised the need to maintain the integrity of the historic hill race course, to improve spectator viewing and experience wherever possible…and to ensure detailed circuit design was undertaken to maximise racing quality”.

They most certainly do need a permanent grandstand at Bathurst :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:03 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Can't say i am a fan of any new Bathurst track. Any new permanent circuit needs to be built somewhere new in NSW, somewhere in the Hunter region could be good.

Who in their right mind is going to want to go race at Bathurst, and not race on the best bit, the Mountain???

Not a fan of grandstands all down the front-straight either;

A)There is nothing wrong with the grass hills that are there now
B) There is already a (albeit small) grandstand there now
C) It will just push the price up to spectate on the main straight as you will have to buy a certain seat ticket..... its already bad enough you have to book to camp these days!

Scirocco wrote:
True. Yeah i think it sounds good saving costs will bring in more teams and to keep them in the series to make it more affordable to run, it sounds good i doubt the racing will be much different from these days anyway the cars are pretty similar.

No new teams will enter unless they buy out the current one's, VESA have capped the entries at a pathetic 28

This CotF is rubbish in my opinion. With the cars running the likes of a trans-axle, common chassis' etc... it has become a "Sports Sedan" lite class..... one wonders how CAMS can still award the ATCC title to the winner, its a hard enough bow to draw under the current specs...

It is also HIGHLY unlikely any new manufacturers will enter, where is the incentive? The series has been promoted as "off-limits" to anyone except Holden and Ford since 1993. The only real sniff has been from BMW, who declared they were only interested if they could run their new DTM car.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bring back Australian Touring Cars...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

racer69 wrote:
It is also HIGHLY unlikely any new manufacturers will enter, where is the incentive? The series has been promoted as "off-limits" to anyone except Holden and Ford since 1993. The only real sniff has been from BMW, who declared they were only interested if they could run their new DTM car.....

Indeed, and with DTM/Japanese GT/Grand-Am all looking at having similar specs, why would you bother developing a car for one series when you could develop one that could race in Europe/Americas/Japan

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

racer69 wrote:
"co-drivers in the GC600 can't race at PI or Bathurst" rule that has been introduced...

That is a retarded rule.

Dick Trickle wrote:
- Six wildcards will be allowed to compete at Phillip Island and Bathurst, as opposed to four. Can't see it having a big effect, considering there's been less than the maximum allowed the last two years, but it could encourage the bigger teams to maybe field extra cars.

The wildcards rule won't do too much really. I'm for the major teams entering a third car if they want, making possibly full international combination which won't happen probably now since you can only have one full time driver per car. (Maybe FPR, HRT and 888 could enter a third car?)

And as for the future I wonder if they could go back the older formula having a Class A (V8SC) and Class B.

For the Class B perhaps they could run to the rules that the BTCC and the like are running now or something, since I doubt Cochrane would want something faster than the V8's.

That could also attract more makes too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:35 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

simonracer wrote:
And as for the future I wonder if they could go back the older formula having a Class A (V8SC) and Class B.

For the Class B perhaps they could run to the rules that the BTCC and the like are running now or something, since I doubt Cochrane would want something faster than the V8's.

That could also attract more makes too.

Running two classes would be a great move in my opinion, and something as you suggested is a good idea.. provided the class placings were advertised etc...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:33 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

urrgh dont run 2 classes hate that stuff lol, and also hate what dtm do with older model cars, i believe everyone should be in the same class and have same year model cars.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:35 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Scirocco wrote:
urrgh dont run 2 classes hate that stuff lol, and also hate what dtm do with older model cars, i believe everyone should be in the same class and have same year model cars.

Works for Le Mans,

And until the early 90s, class racing was what touring car racing the world over was all about. Australia only abandoned class racing in 1995.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lady Felchington wrote:
Most of the grid can't afford to build new model cars, and yes, class racing is fundamentally what racing was built from, there's nothing wrong with it, you're being incredibly narrow-minded.

hmm it's just what i would like as a viewer. im not saying i would never watch it again if it has classes i'd still love it as much as i do today, it's just what i'd prefer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 am 

racer69 wrote:
"co-drivers in the GC600 can't race at PI or Bathurst" rule that has been introduced...

Just shows how stupid the event is. They want people to just come along and race in championship contending cars and then screw up the driver in concern. Imagine Villeneuve racing with James Courtney :yuk:

Hope this CoT isn't going to make the racing any shitter than it is at most circuits today

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:42 am 

Wilson Security moves to TDR this season.

http://www.speedcafe.com.au/2011/01/10/ ... e-sponsor/

D'alberto will race an ex-FPR car from the second round of the season onwards. I do not get the decison made by Wilson Security, I would have stuck with Slade.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

therightformula1 wrote:

D'alberto will race an ex-FPR car from the second round of the season onwards. I do not get the decison made by Wilson Security, I would have stuck with Slade.

I can understand why Wilson Security left Slade. Wasn't because of Slade's performances, but because they wanted to sponsor the whole car, which wasn't going to happen with Slade's car as long as Lucky 7 was on the hood. I reckon D'Alberto will do well this year, remember he had a bunch of good results early in the season before his form slipped away a bit, and going away from the Walkinshaw car (which except for Tander all flopped last year) will probably do him the world of good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:32 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Unless my french fails me it looks as though MotorsTV is trying to show more V8 races live in 2011, according to what has been posted on the french MotorsTV forums.

Would be great to get races like Adelaide or Philipp Island Live, besides Bathurst and Abu Dhabi.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dick Trickle wrote:
therightformula1 wrote:

I can understand why Wilson Security left Slade. Wasn't because of Slade's performances, but because they wanted to sponsor the whole car, which wasn't going to happen with Slade's car as long as Lucky 7 was on the hood. I reckon D'Alberto will do well this year, remember he had a bunch of good results early in the season before his form slipped away a bit, and going away from the Walkinshaw car (which except for Tander all flopped last year) will probably do him the world of good.

I agree D'Alberto showed some good performances i think he was in the top 5 a few times if i remember correctly? He's a good racer and I hope he goes well in the ford.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:20 am 

The awful Old floods will mean the resurfacing of Queensland Raceway will not take place this year

:8:

Wouldn't be surprised if the race is in jeapordy even months out from the scheduled date

:( :( :(

Where are the Queensland teams based? They might have trouble getting to Eastern Creek and then Abu Dhabi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:44 am 

I think DJR is in Ipswich.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:45 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

glad murphy has a drive. i wasn't aware he had one.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 642 Next