TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:53 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Doesn't really work like that. The Sporting Code doesn't prohibit stuff like that, but prohibits exactly what you said, being able to stop different championships using the same names. We've already had A1GP The World Cup of Motorsport, and International Rally Championship, both of which were in direct competition with FIA organised series after signing the ISC. These names are perfectly acceptable, but it seems the ACO has been all ACO about it all and chosen the worst name possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
Doesn't really work like that. The Sporting Code doesn't prohibit stuff like that, but prohibits exactly what you said, being able to stop different championships using the same names.

Despite that "Other Cups, Trophies, Challenges or Series may not include in their title the word “World” (which, in this section should be read to include any word with a similar meaning to or derived from “World” in any language) without the authorisation of the FIA. As a general rule, the FIA shall grant this authorisation provided that the following requirements are met and that the FIA believes that it is in the interests of the sport to do so"? If you already remember or know this, could you explain because obviously I am not understanding this then.

Quote:
We've already had A1GP The World Cup of Motorsport

"World Cup", not "World Championship". Big difference?

Quote:
and International Rally Championship

No "World" word there?

Quote:
but it seems the ACO has been all ACO about it all and chosen the worst name possible.

I agree, I even dislike the "Le Mans" in "X Le Mans Series". While it connects the series to the 24 Hours, imagine how much more simple for example "American Sportscar Series" would be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:57 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

"World Cup", not "World Championship". Big difference?

No. The word World is World, no matter what surrounds it. You can all it the World Lesbian Showdowns if you wanted, the word World is still there. If the rules were to be applied like you say then you couldn't have A1GPs World Cup of Motorsport.

Marketing is important. The ACO sucks at it, always has done. If you aren't in France for the week of LM, you'd be forgiven for not knowing it existed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
If the rules were to be applied like you say then you couldn't have A1GPs World Cup of Motorsport.

How did I say that? Misunderstanding? I meant that while situation where "World" is followed by "Championship" is not mentioned in Code, in reality "World Championship" certainly has a special status and that is why I do not see a series that is not directly under FIA getting a blessing for "World [something] Championship", for everything else with "World" definitely maybe. "...and that the FIA believes that it is in the interests of the sport to do so". Do you see?

I still don't understand why you mentioned International Rally Championship.

Quote:
Marketing is important. The ACO sucks at it, always has done. If you aren't in France for the week of LM, you'd be forgiven for not knowing it existed.

A real promoter for this Cup would be a start...

Last edited by deggis on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think part of the point is that this isn't meant to be a "full season entry" type of series - it's merely meant to be a collection of the biggest races worldwide to which all are welcome to enter to collect points towards a cup.

Also recall that this is very much a long term project by the ACO - up to a 5 year plan to put it all into place as they desire. 2010 is the first year obviously, 2011 expands the schedule, and the wide speculation is that 2012 will be the start of a World Sportscar Championship including a lengthier schedule worldwide actually organized by the ACO rather than splitting events with IMSA and such.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://forums.fourtitude.com/entry.php? ... ld-Be-Over
Quote:
Clearly three of the four Peugeots going out with similar problems the car clearly needs additional development to assure a successful continuation of the season. According to our source, this won't happen. All resources will go toward development of the all-new 2011 Peugeot prototype that is expected to compete against the upcoming Audi R18. The 908 is "one for the museum" we were told, and that Peugeot Sport will not return to face Audi at key Intercontinental Cup races like Petit Le Mans this year.

:(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:29 am 

I hope Peugeot will want to have a revenge...
they can't put all four 908's to the museum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:03 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

deggis wrote:
International Sporting Code (like almost everybody, ACO has signed it too) has several requirements especially using the word "world" in the name. I imagine in reality "World Series" would be a lot easier than "World Championship" because the latter one has a clear status. If this wasn't so, it would end up like pro boxing - there would be several "world championships" for every category.

There was a similiar argument in Australia a couple of years ago.

Over here we have rivalling sanctioning bodies, FIA-affiliated CAMS, and a relatively new group called the AASA.

AASA sanctioned an "Australian Touring Car Championship" to be run. There has of course been a CAMS-sanctioned ATCC running here since 1960.

The matter went to court, where it was deemed there was nothing to stop another group calling a series the "Australian Touring Car Championship", as none of those words could be copyrighted... the only thing the AASA couldn't do was call it the "CAMS Australian Touring Car Championship".

I'd assume it would be a similiar ruling in Europe if challenged in court, how can the words World, Sportscar or Championship be copyright? The only thing they couldn't claim would for it to be the "FIA World Sportscar Championship"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is this CAMS' authority in Australia comparable to FIA's authority internationally?

And it's not about copyrights. It's just a rule in the ISC code and a series either agrees with it or not. I just see it hard to an international series to exist if they screw the whole ISC code.

The Bible can be found here: http://www.fia.com/sport/Regulations/sportcoderegs.html

Page 5.

Last edited by deggis on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:12 pm 

A "World Championship" needs at least 3 manufacturers and 10 rounds on 3 different continents...
even it is not always totally respected.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ouninpohja wrote:
A "World Championship" needs at least 3 manufacturers and 10 rounds on 3 different continents...

I remember Stephane Ratel talking about those requirements in some interview. These are not mentioned in the ISC code because it never mentions "World Championship" specifically. Must be some other rule rook then.

Quote:

Well, makes sense. I mean if some race from certain continent suddenly collapses and has to be removed calendar. "Force majeure" situation. It would be devasting to downgrade the whole series just because of one race.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:27 pm 

deggis wrote:
Ouninpohja wrote:

I remember Stephane Ratel talking about those requirements in some interview. These are not mentioned in the ISC code because it never mentions "World Championship" specifically. Must be some other rule rook then.

Quote:

Well, makes sense. I mean if some race from certain continent suddenly collapses and has to be removed calendar. "Force majeure" situation. It would be devasting to downgrade the whole series just because of one race.

for instance, Seat is still considered as a "manufacturer" un WTCC this year (Chevrolet+BMW+Seat=3)
but in WRC, only 2...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

deggis wrote:
Quote:
According to our source, this won't happen. All resources will go toward development of the all-new 2011 Peugeot prototype that is expected to compete against the upcoming Audi R18. The 908 is "one for the museum" we were told, and that Peugeot Sport will not return to face Audi at key Intercontinental Cup races like Petit Le Mans this year.

:(

Fortunately: http://www.endurance-info.com/version2/ ... -4774.html