TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 34 35 Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:24 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

See ESPN? If a crash happens during close racing on the final lap, that's what you do!

*Still Bitter*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
Courtney wins :flag:

I'd say he'll win the championship.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:17 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Location: Jenson Button is running in the top 10 in 11th place.
We havnt had a red flag restart in v8s for years and then get two in two days haha. The last was at pukekohe in 2004 i think because of the Baird Dumbrell crash?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

footballs wrote:
We havnt had a red flag restart in v8s for years and then get two in two days haha. The last was at pukekohe in 2004 i think because of the Baird Dumbrell crash?

06 at Pukekohe I think, when John Bowe smacked the armco at the end of the front straight. I'm surprised the course commentators a) didn't pick up on that and b) got the year wrong of the Baird Dumbrell wreck, that being 2005.

Anyways just got back after spending the weekend there, very enjoyable weekend. Davison's car's fucked; I saw it after the race as officials tried to put it on a tow truck, and the fuel cell was basically dragging on the ground; there's nothing left of the back of it. I'd be amazed if that car was in Sydney in two weeks, but they may not have a choice, depending on the status of their other wrecked cars (which is a lot). I may put some pics up later of what's left of the car in the marshalling area.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:38 am 

footballs wrote:

Last red flag was Pukekohe 2006 when Jon Bowe crashed at the end of the main straight
Couple of massive shunts this weekend, kudos to all car designers, track managers and saftey crews.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:47 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I cant remember John Bowes one but il defently take your word for it. :thumbsup:

Just saw it on youtube, now i remember.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:18 pm 

footballs wrote:
I cant remember John Bowes one but il defently take your word for it. :thumbsup:

Just saw it on youtube, now i remember.

that was the crash that took out Scott Wensley (Photographer) with a fence paling to the leg IIRC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:05 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

codename_47 wrote:
I have no idea why Sandown designed a nice long straight that promotes slipstreaming then made a shitty chicane design at the end of it which makes single file racing mandatory...

Jesus, open it up a bit and you'll see passing there! :yuk:

Which part of the track are you talking about?

Turn 1, or Turn 6 at Dandenong Road where the crashes were?

Here is what the pre-1984 Sandown looked like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOeZly8XHDM

And here is the September 1984-1988 version of the track (as mentioned earlier, it was redesigned to make it international length for the World Sportscar round there in 1984)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3xqKxVZVE

The current day Sandown is effectively a merging of both layouts. The part where the crashes were on the weekend is a fantastic piece of track though, and should never be altered.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:48 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually the caruso davison crash was similar to Seton and Percy off in about 90-91? Except only Percy crashed i think.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:34 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

footballs wrote:
Actually the caruso davison crash was similar to Seton and Percy off in about 90-91? Except only Percy crashed i think.

Yes, that was in 1992 at the second round of the ATCC. Tomas Mezera had replaced Win Percy at HRT that year, and as you say Mezera hit the wall, while Seton spun off to the inside of the circuit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lady Felchington wrote:
The day will come when they have to slow or modify that corner, we've seen 3 massive accidents (this one, Wills in '05 and Alajajian's Mini accident) there in 6 years, 2 where cars have cleared the barriers, and with debris going into the crowd during this weekends crash something will have to be done about it.

Thinking about it, it was probably lucky that only the tire from the wall got into the crowd in the end. Probably not the best way to word it, but I mean, Davison's car could've ended up over the fence (where more dangerous debris could have got into the crowd), in a huge fireball (cause there was fuel pissing out the back of it), or heaven forbid, both. Could've been very very ugly, especially if he got upside down.

Speaking of which, as I said earlier, I took photos of what was left of the back of the car, and I'm still amazed it didn't end up in a huge fireball, with the fuel cell pretty much on the ground.

Oh and someone got in the way of one of my photos. Normally I'd delete it, but because the person who was in the way was Davison's girlfriend Rhiana, I may as well share with all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:51 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Lady Felchington wrote:
The day will come when they have to slow or modify that corner, we've seen 3 massive accidents (this one, Wills in '05 and Alajajian's Mini accident) there in 6 years, 2 where cars have cleared the barriers, and with debris going into the crowd during this weekends crash something will have to be done about it.

Instead of butchering the circuit, the smarter thing would be to slow the cars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:05 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just make the wall further back, put a gravel trap there or make the spectator fence higher.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:40 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

You can't really move the wall any further back, due to a public road running behind there.

Moves are already being talked about to slow the cars anyway, Neil Crompton mentioned it during Bathurst.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:39 pm 

Lady Felchington wrote:
racer69 wrote:
You can't really move the wall any further back, due to a public road running behind there.

There is about 50 yards of spectator area they can use, wouldn't be too hard geophysically to do. Spectator area will be a 1/5th what it was before but still. It's only a matter of time before Johnny Skyline during a track day or an open wheeler has quite a serious accident into the crowd. We saw a slow as shit mini flip 200m into the crowd on a not so fast entry to a corner, it can happen, slowing the cars will do nothing. Either slow the track, or push the wall back.

i hope your not referring to the qld raceway mini crash because

A) it was not 200m it was no more than about 80 meters from where he started rolling to where he stopped
B) it was the sang trap that actually made this crash worse by the car digging into the sand and kicking the car up
C) there is NO catch fencing at that turn, there is a sand trap, tyre wall and the spectator area starts behind a normal chain link fence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:24 am 

Lady Felchington wrote:
crashdave wrote:
i hope your not referring to the qld raceway mini crash because

A) it was not 200m it was no more than about 80 meters from where he started rolling to where he stopped
B) it was the sang trap that actually made this crash worse by the car digging into the sand and kicking the car up
C) there is NO catch fencing at that turn, there is a sand trap, tyre wall and the spectator area starts behind a normal chain link fence

A) I was referring to when the 2 cars first made contact, not from where he started barrel-rolling, 200m was an approximation
B) Irrelevant, as I never mentioned gravel traps.
C) Irrelevant to my point as well, we are discussing whether or not to change a circuit or change the cars, I was just implying to the fact it can happen all too easily.

the car started rolling at the moment of impact in that incident ;-)

it doesnt matter anyway because comparing turn 6 at QR to Dandenong Rd at Sandown is like oranges and apples, a long slow (ish) turn vs fast sweeper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:41 am 
Australian - All the animals look so strange

Are the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:49 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Mini Challenge has been dumped from next year. Maybe the crash into the crowd at Queensland and other serious accidents have been contributing factors, alongside the lack of entries.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lady Felchington wrote:
Davison has jumped ship early from HRT, he won't be racing in Sydney.

Wonder who'll jump in?

You sure about that? From what I've read, he'll be racing in Sydney for HRT.

And I'm glad the Mini Challenge has got the arse. I can't remember one good race in the 3 year history of the category.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:03 pm 

More aussie racing cars I say, things are a hoot.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 34 35 Next