TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 29
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Bathurst 1000
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:13 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Burlap Sack wrote:
The point of the safety car is to clear up any inherent dangers that are on the track. Apart from the first safety car and maybe the Coulthard one, they were all for legitimate reasons. Let's take the last one for example, could you imagine what would have happened when someone lost it and crashed into Canto's car if they didn't bring out the safety car?

The Canto one was certainly requiring of a safety car, as was the Bayliss crash.

The problem is the lack of consistency when it comes to them though;

Why for instance was a safety car called for debris early in the race, yet one not called when there was oil spread all over the road from the Cutting to Reid Park near the end?? The difference in those examples seemingly being that the field was spread out mid-race, whereas they were stacked up near the end.

Why was the safety car out for multiple laps when Owen Kelly was in the sandtrap at Murray's, yet the safety car did just 1 lap at the end with the McNally car in the sand (letalone the Bright one at the first corner of the race... he was out of the sandtrap by the time the safety even came on track, yet it circulated 2 laps)

There is just no consistency, it seems done on a whim depending on how close or spread out the field is....

scotty wrote:
Thats why mclaren2008's sayings aren't encouraged. what he says doesn't start conversations, it just makes this forum, its readers and australians in general look retarded.

I'd dare say the attitude of your posts, like telling other forum members to quote "shut the fuck up", makes Australians look far worse than an Australian's opinions on whether a safety car was warranted in a little motor race or not .....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

scotty wrote:
Jason Bright has done that before (what happened on lap 1), he sits there for a few seconds, so it looks like he's stuck, the safety car is called, then he drives out of the gravel. He's did at Oran Park in 2007 and i vaguelly recall he did something similar at HRT but thats stretching my memory.

I recall Garth Tander doing the same thing in Tassie last year when he was stuck at the hairpin. Mind you, the safety car would have been called anyway because Perkins (I think) stopped on the back straight. That might possibly be the HRT reference you're refering to.

And also, if racer69 gets so worked up about seeing safety cars ruining V8 Supercar races, I can't imagine him watching a NASCAR race with their fake debris cautions...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:34 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

scotty wrote:
ive only had to go that far for two different posters. you could probably guess the other. you imply like i go round telling everyone that.

Well considering i have never directed anything like that towards you........, We are all grown-ups surely. I don't stalk your posts so no idea what you go round telling others, but if thats how you react when i have a different opinion to you.... :lol:

scotty wrote:
and well done for magically changing point half way through this page, going from "a race ruined by safety cars" to "well some were OK but others weren't called for". the second point i totally agree with you (fancy that) but the first point i think ranks as one of the stupidest things ive read in the 14 years ive followed V8 Supercars (excluding YouTube comments, which, i don't even bother with)

:lol: perhaps you could show me what you are getting at?

I did say the race finish was manufactured (and therefore, in my eyes, spoilt) by safety cars throughout the race, but i never said none of the accidents warranted a safety car, only some of them... which you state in your post.... you were just assuming i was saying there should have been no safety cars. There is a difference..... all my quote said was that it was another "safety car-athon"....

I certainly wished for a race with no safety cars, but i certainly never thought it was going to happen! 8)

scotty wrote:
Jason Bright has done that before (what happened on lap 1), he sits there for a few seconds, so it looks like he's stuck, the safety car is called, then he drives out of the gravel.

Does it matter whether he was bogged or not?? They had a whole lap to push him out of the gravel, and a longer lap than usual as the cars were lapping slowly in the wet.

I notice you mention you have followed the series for 14 years, making your first Bathurst 1995? That year the McLoed/McLoed Enzed Commodore stalled on the line, and sat there for two laps as they towed it off the track as the cars raced around it safely each lap, with no safety car even considered.... how times have changed.

kentrulz wrote:
racer69 gets so worked up about seeing safety cars ruining V8 Supercar races, I can't imagine him watching a NASCAR race with their fake debris cautions...

Yes, but thats always been a part of the deal with NASCAR going back decades, they don't hide the fact they have 'competition yellows'.... they used to write those into the race formats at the Thunderdome!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:57 am 

The problem is, safety is more paramount these days.

Take your example above and imagine they did that and someone did hit it today... Can you imagine not only the public outcry but the legal rammifications also... Probably never come to bathurst again or something retarded.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:37 am 

racer69 wrote:
When commentators talk about "buying a ticket" to the final hour you see where it has all gone. The race is all about the finish now, not a 1000km endurance test.

They still have to be there at the end of it, don't they? Cars have become more reliable because the teams make them more reliable. The thing that controls the car still has to drive it around to the end and they have become fitter than before so that they can make it to the end without collapsing. It's not as if the first 950 kms disappeared into thin air, it's still an endurance race.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:00 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

You've still got to be there at the end certainly, but you don't have to 'race' until the last 50-100km... take Tander and Skaife, they had 25s & 15s respectively on the field approaching middle distance and we had quite battle ensuing, all taken away due to some debris sitting on the side of the road, allowing the one's not pushing as hard, or saving their cars to catch up.

BenAD wrote:

Take your example above and imagine they did that and someone did hit it today... Can you imagine not only the public outcry but the legal rammifications also... Probably never come to bathurst again or something retarded.

I certainly take your point.... but we are quite 'trigger happy' in Australia when it comes to the safety cars compared to other series overseas. If drivers observed the local yellow flags and slow down when they saw them, we might be able to work something out.

It was interesting to read Ivan Stibbard's comments in a recent issue of "Australian Muscle Car Magazine" on the current state of the Bathurst 1000. Ivan being the man who ran the race after taking over from the 'father of the race' Jack Hinxman (until VESA overthrew the government in 1997/98), on how there was little drama with the tilt-tray trucks on the track in the pre-safety car days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:02 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Just watched this race today. What an awesome race. It was entertaining pretty much the whole way through, and the finish was spectacular. A bit disappointing as a fan of Murphy and Skaife though. I really thought they were going to win it up until that second to last safety car. Tander and Davison did a great job the whole race though, and it was a well deserved win.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:12 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Dean Canto is such a bad driver. That SC that he caused ruined the interest in the race. Whilst there were some great racing after that point, it wasn't as interesting as if it hadn't happen, if you catch my drift. That the HRT car would win was something that you easily could predict, but at that point, it didn't look like they would do it.

That said, they didn't do a mistake all day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:26 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

holy shit it's voldemort

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:17 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

He looks even creepier in person.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:51 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Agreed, i overheard him being quite hard on himself yesterday over the Bathurst crash, sounded like he was admitting fault.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:15 am 

racer69 wrote:
BenAD wrote:

I certainly take your point.... but we are quite 'trigger happy' in Australia when it comes to the safety cars compared to other series overseas. If drivers observed the local yellow flags and slow down when they saw them, we might be able to work something out.

It was interesting to read Ivan Stibbard's comments in a recent issue of "Australian Muscle Car Magazine" on the current state of the Bathurst 1000. Ivan being the man who ran the race after taking over from the 'father of the race' Jack Hinxman (until VESA overthrew the government in 1997/98), on how there was little drama with the tilt-tray trucks on the track in the pre-safety car days.

Definitely true, the whole world has gone a bit crazy with the type of legal rammifactions that come from minor things and all the tracks being shut down due to sound issues etc...

But we don't have much control over those things, so we just gotta do what the law says, so we can continue to have motorsport.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous 125 26 27 28 29