TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 2428 Next
 Post subject: Re: V8SC Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:59 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The 2010 V8 Calendar as released on the weekend
Code:
1.  February 18-20   Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi
2.  February 25-27   Desert 400, Bahrain International Circuit, Bahrain
3.  March 11-14      Clipsal 500, Adelaide Parklands, SA (#Fujitsu V8 Round 1)
NC. March 26-28      Australian Grand Prix, Albert Park, VIC
4.  April 16-18      ITM Hamilton 400, Hamilton, NZ
5.  April 30-May 2   Queensland Raceway, QLD (#Fujitsu V8 Round 2) *(provisional)
6.  May 14-16        Winton, VIC (#Fujitsu V8 Round 3)
7.  June 4-6         Bigpond 300, Barbagallo, WA *(provisional)
8.  June 18-20       SKYCITY Triple Crown, Hidden Valley, NT
9.  July 9-11        Dunlop Townsville 400, Townsville, QLD (#Fujitsu V8 Round 4)
MID SEASON CHAMPIONSHIP BREAK
10. September 10-12  L&H 500, Phillip Island, VIC
11. October 7-10     Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, Mt Panorama, NSW (#Fujitsu V8 Round 5)
12. October 21-24    SuperGP, Surfers Paradise, QLD
13. November 5-7     Falken Tasmania Challenge, Symmons Plains, TAS
14. November 19-21   Norton 360 Sandown Challenge, Sandown, VIC (#Fujitsu V8 Round 6)
15. December 3-5     Sydney Telstra 500, Homebush, NSW (#Fujitsu V8 Round 7)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: 43 104 Kevin Lepage Chevrolet J Davis Motorsports.com 94.005 155.021 -20.183
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 18&iwloc=A

Apparently Google maps satellite captured the Townsville race track during the race weekend. :8:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:54 pm 
Eddie Jordan

David Hetzel wrote:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Townsville,Australia&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.748002,79.013672&ie=UTF8&ll=-19.27165,146.810775&spn=0.00238,0.004823&t=h&z=18&iwloc=A

Apparently Google maps satellite captured the Townsville race track during the race weekend. :8:

Yet, street view has the pre-changes look :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Phillip Island has been confirmed to replace the Bahrain round in November, and I'm liking the sounds of free pit access and a free grid walk. Now, if I can be fucked driving 2-odd hours to get there...

Quote:
V8 Supercar fans will have the chance to experience once-in-a-lifetime opportunities at “The Island 300” on November 7-8 at Phillip Island.

The Championship Series revisits the Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit after September’s L&H 500, with The Island 300 featuring two days of racing action and great opportunities for fans to get up-close and personal.

All ticket holders will have the chance for a free grid walk prior to the Sunday race, giving fans a chance to see V8 Supercars up-close before race start. They will also have free access to the V8 Supercar paddock on Saturday and Sunday.

The Island 300 replaces the Gulf Air Desert 400 in the 2009 V8 Supercar Championship Series originally scheduled for Bahrain International Circuit on November 5-7.

“V8 Supercars Australia and the Fox family, owners of the Phillip Island Grand Prix circuit, will make contributions to two charities from the weekend’s activities as this replacement round is primarily designed to fulfil our television commitments,” V8 Supercars Australia Executive Chairman Tony Cochrane said.

“We have put together a great list of extremely affordable prices (listed below) for this one-off weekend to give people a wonderful opportunity to come along with friends and family at some of the best prices we can offer.”

The weekend was relocated to Phillip Island after the announcement of the 2010 V8 Supercar Championship Series, which begins with a Middle East double-header. The season opens at Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit on February 18-20, before the second event at Bahrain International Circuit on February 25-27.

On track at The Island 300, Saturday will feature an all-in 20-minute qualifying session along with a Top 10 Shootout, before the 22-lap (100km) race. Sunday will then feature an all-in 20-minute qualifying session, followed by the 44-lap (200km) race.

“The Island 300 will give V8 Supercar fans the opportunity many are yet to experience,” Mr Cochrane said.

“The event will allow fans to get within arms-length of V8 Supercars, with a free grid walk and free V8 Supercar paddock access providing great opportunities for race fans at The Island 300.

“It will be great to see V8 Supercars back at Phillip Island especially after the tremendous L&H 500, which provided some of the most exciting racing of this V8 Supercar season.

“While V8 Supercars won’t visit Bahrain this season, it will be only a few months until the 2010 V8 Supercar season kicks off in the Middle East, at Abu Dhabi and then Bahrain.

“It’s an exciting time for V8 Supercars, with the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, Nikon SuperGP and season-ending Sydney Telstra 500 all proving to be key events before V8 Supercar’s unprecedented Middle East double-header next year.”

Tickets for The Island 300 are on sale from tomorrow (Friday). General admission and grandstand options are available, with kids under 12 free. Corporate hospitality is also available.

Three-day grandstand
Grandstands $99.00 (Pre-Sale) $120.00 (At the Gate)
Grandstand child under-13 $75.00 (Pre-Sale) $99.00 (At the Gate)
General admission
Weekend adult $65.00 (Pre-Sale) $75.00 (At the Gate)
Weekend concession* $50.00 (Pre-Sale) $60.00 (At the Gate)
Sunday GA adult $45.00 (Pre-Sale) $55.00 (At the Gate)
Sunday GA concession* $35.00 (Pre-Sale) $45.00 (At the Gate)
Saturday GA adult $35.00 (Pre-Sale) $45.00 (At the Gate)
Saturday GA concession $25.00 (Pre-Sale) $35.00 (At the Gate)

NB: Children 12 and under are free for General Admission when accompanied by a paying adult (excludes grandstand tickets)

* Concession Tickets apply to: Aged Pension, Disability Pension, Companions who require full time aid, Full-time Students 13-17 years (must present a valid Student ID)

Tickets can be purchased from Ticketek via phone 132 849, or by visiting ticketek.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:28 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Those ticket prices are outrageous considering

A)no support categories

and therefore

B)there will be a complete lack of on-track action, the V8s are just going to be doing their normal program of one practice session, Qualifying and shorter race on Saturday, and a qualifying then longer race on Sunday

Who is going to pay to stare at an empty track? Will a grid walk really make it more worthwhile? (Are they only providing a free grid walk for everyone, as they aren't expecting much of a crowd?)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:27 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

There will be support categories, however it's all a bit last minute trying to scrounge around for interest from various classes of racing. I caught a whiff of the list.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:02 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Does anyone else want to sponsor or help out my as yet unannounced race team for a certain open wheel category? I need about $5-6000 :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:17 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

lets hope the rumours of them 'stealing' support categories from other events already organised that weekend isn't happening

How are they going for officials, given events at Sandown and Winton already taking place on the same weekend?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any events clashing in Victoria, apart from a state series event at Winton. I've also checked Sandown's calendar and apart from a night market event, I don't see any motor racing penciled in for the day. Regarding interstate events, I'm not sure of the full extent of interest but I do know there's interest from interstate competitors.

I assume the PIARC would have already organised officials and volunteers to do some flag-waving for the weekend beforehand.

My main concern about this event is spectator numbers. Given that the V8 Supercar circus has already had a round at Sandown, Phillip Island and to a lesser extent Albert Park, and the relative short notice of the event being announced - I wouldn't be surprised if the round gets Sheffield Shield kind of crowd figures. I've read elsewhere that the event a couple weeks ago, the crowds weren't as large and the traffic out of the circuit wasn't as bad as previous years. I didn't watch the race at all, but I'd like to know a rough estimate of how many spectators were there. Although given that the football season would be over by then, it may work out in the end.

I also agree that the price of the event is quite excessive, particularly as it's a bit of a hike to travel and some hardcore fans would have already forked out money to go to the previous 2 (or 3) events this year. Then again, some of the super-hardcore fans may have made the trek to Winton. Is it worth the bother to fork out, in some instances triple figures, to see yet another V8 Supercar race?

I'd love to compete, but I do not want to have the stress of organising something in a hurry and then being stuck in debt, just to race for 2 days and the event getting a piss poor reception. The only reason why I want to do this event is to just get marketing exposure more than anything, but I need to justify whether it's worth the trouble.

Last edited by Box of Neutrals on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:39 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The Sandown historic meeting is a major event as far as the historic community is concerned, the program features the Biante Series on the card for starters

Winton certainly does have an event that weekend, it has a AASA-sanctioned race meeting.

ARC won't be returning to the V8 circus any-time soon

Considering the money it costs to be on the V8Supercar support card, the likes of Formula Ford can not just simply add a meeting on as its a free weekend, it all needs to be budgeted in a while in advance.

And i ask again, where are all the officials going to come from, and what would be the attraction in them going to a sparse program in Phillip Island over packed programs at Sandown or Winton (especially as at the latter events, they don't need permission from race control to wave blue or yellow flags!)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:01 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Like I said earlier, the PIARC (Phillip Island Auto Racing Club) would have their own members capable of flag-waving the event. Likewise, it's likely that some of those support events held elsewhere on that weekend will be rescheduled to go to Phillip Island. One series is supposed to have it's club weekend at Phillip Island on November 14th and it's since been moved the week before to act as one of the support races.

It would be smarter to move the events to Phillip Island given that there would easily be a larger crowd presence than a normal club or state round, certainly a positive for sponsors and the categories alike. I'm aware of the cost of one support category and it's not as exorbitant as I would have expected, especially given the amount of potential exposure. Although I can't speak for any of the other series tipped to be there in terms of cost.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:49 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

FordTeamRS wrote:
Likewise, it's likely that some of those support events held elsewhere on that weekend will be rescheduled to go to Phillip Island. One series is supposed to have it's club weekend at Phillip Island on November 14th and it's since been moved the week before to act as one of the support races.

It would be smarter to move the events to Phillip Island given that there would easily be a larger crowd presence than a normal club or state round, certainly a positive for sponsors and the categories alike.

What about the organisers of the race meetings who have planned all year around the Sandown or Winton event, having categories pull out abit over a month out for a blow-in race meeting organised at the last minute?

Where would replacement events say for the Historic Sandown come from? And anyway bar the Biante Series (which is the star attraction for the Historic Sandown meeting), sponsors are not a problem in historic racing.

Categories at Winton that weekend are less of an issue as it is a AASA-sanctioned meeting

And how big of a crowd are they really expecting. The black wiggle stated publically the event is only being put on the appease Channel 7, not the fans, and if they couldn't draw a crowd to the 500, why would a 300km meeting two months after attract anymore?

Another question should be levelled at CAMS, allowing a late-notice event to come in and just take over?

FordTeamRS wrote:
I'm aware of the cost of one support category and it's not as exorbitant as I would have expected, especially given the amount of potential exposure. Although I can't speak for any of the other series tipped to be there in terms of cost.

Costs goes up in terms of status, how much TV coverage you want etc etc... hence why the likes of ARC left the program, why Biante has very little TV coverage etc..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:09 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

racer69 wrote:
What about the organisers of the race meetings who have planned all year around the Sandown or Winton event, having categories pull out abit over a month out for a blow-in race meeting organised at the last minute?

Where would replacement events say for the Historic Sandown come from? And anyway bar the Biante Series (which is the star attraction for the Historic Sandown meeting), sponsors are not a problem in historic racing.

Categories at Winton that weekend are less of an issue as it is a AASA-sanctioned meeting

And how big of a crowd are they really expecting. The black wiggle stated publically the event is only being put on the appease Channel 7, not the fans, and if they couldn't draw a crowd to the 500, why would a 300km meeting two months after attract anymore?

Another question should be levelled at CAMS, allowing a late-notice event to come in and just take over?

Costs goes up in terms of status, how much TV coverage you want etc etc... hence why the likes of ARC left the program, why Biante has very little TV coverage etc..

I don't think the circuits are going to disappear overnight just because an event is moved elsewhere to where it's originally scheduled. It's really up to the organisers of the series whether they want to say "Right, let's go to Phillip Island instead." I can't speculate on the historic series because I'm not fully aware of their plans. But I would be very surprised if there is little (or heaven forbid, none whatsoever) support races for the weekend.

I'm equally concerned about the crowd figures, which is why I'm hesitant to fast-track my own plans for the sake of one obscure race meeting. Although if I had everything in place now or if circumstances change, I'd do it. The crowd figures won't be world record breaking, but it would still be an acceptable level of on-track exposure if I had a team there. Given that it's held in the spring, the football season's over, I wouldn't expect tumbleweed floating around the paddock. Even if the crowd figures are unexpectedly smaller than usual, it'll certainly be more than most club/state events. I'm not taking anything away from club/state events, but V8 Supercars is just inherently bigger in terms of awareness, involvement, investment and marketing. Even so, I do hope this round is a bit of a flop (at least by local V8 Supercar round standards and turnout) so it serves as a bit of a wake up call for the series to get its act together and smarten up the series.

It's not really a CAMS issue as to the last minute addition to the event, you'd want to berate the V8 Supercar organising group for that one. They needed to replace Bahrain at the last minute, sponsors would expect as much exposure as possible throughout the season and losing an entire event's worth of exposure would irk quite a few people armed with those magical chequebooks. It's really the best of a bad situation, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. V8 Supercars loves to harp on about how it's such a world-class series and we're the greatest racing series on the face of the universe. This is part of the reason why I'm not overly keen on the series personally, to tell you the truth, I think it's run by people who do nothing but pat each other on the back saying how good they are, massaging egos and blind to any of the faults and rough edges around the series. But that's just my opinion, and I know others won't agree to it.

Having said that, I don't underestimate the reach V8 Supercars has to a wide audience - it's the closest form of motorsport (apart from F1) to mainstream society in this country. Although I can perfectly understand why certain series like the ARC had a problem with the way they were managed and treated. But that's an entirely different topic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:31 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

FordTeamRS wrote:
I don't think the circuits are going to disappear overnight just because an event is moved elsewhere to where it's originally scheduled. It's really up to the organisers of the series whether they want to say "Right, let's go to Phillip Island instead." I can't speculate on the historic series because I'm not fully aware of their plans.

I was more getting at that, using the Sandown Historic meeting as an example, if one or two of their categories dropped it to run at PI on the same day, where would that leave Sandown at this late stage with regards to entries and then having to fill the gap in their program?

FordTeamRS wrote:
It's not really a CAMS issue as to the last minute addition to the event, you'd want to berate the V8 Supercar organising group for that one.

It is a CAMS issue, the Phillip Island event can only take place if the event is sanctioned by CAMS. CAMS has never shown much gusto when it comes to standing up to VESA though, so the tailing wagging the dog will continue one assumes....

I can sympathise with VESA in as much as they have a TV contract they have to honour, and therefore needed to run a replacement event, CAMS needed to put their foot down though as to where they would sanction this replacement event to run, upon what date etc etc... considering other events were already planned in Victoria for that weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:30 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just thought of this today. I remember a few years ago a similar problem arose for champcars last race at Surfers. At that time, 7 had V8 coverage and channel 10 supposedly held the broadcast rights for Champcar, but had neglected to show it. Channel 7 ended up picking up the Champcars which eliminated the broadcast problem of who would have the broadcast rights for the weekend.

Now, IIRC, Channel 9 i think, had the A1GP rights last season showing a 1 hour highlights show. With the Super GP in a few weeks, does 9 still have the rights, or will 7 pick it up to be able to telecast the whole day of v8 and A1GP action.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:59 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I know fox sports has it, they've had it from day 1. I'm just curious as to whether 7 will show it (i'm presuming they will)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:37 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I'd assume the 7 contract would give them TV rights for the SuperGP as a whole;

A) It's V8TV doing the filming of the entire event, A1GP included, so that would preclude another network televising from there
B) It would leave a huge gap in the channel 7 programming of the event if they didn't show the A1GP races

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:24 am 

It's the same with the Grand Prix.

Ch9 had the rights and they showed V8's. Now Ch10 have the rights and they also show the V8's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:10 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Clipsal 500 launch is on in Rundle Mall in Adelaide from 10-2 tomorrow, and i'll be there :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:41 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I would be save for the fact that they are my shift times for tomorrow.

Some good rumours from Auto Fiction today. Suggesting that Tasman may close next year, and Greg Murphy could take a licence and join Paul Cruickshank Racing as a 2nd car. Murphy to Ford is a big call though. The other Tasman licence would then be placed on the market, Tony D'Alberto a potential buyer.

eNews which I think is a better source has it's news/rumours for the week as well.
Rumour/News: SBR tried using the 30th V8SA licence as a one-off for Sydney. eNews last week suggested it was for Marcus Marshall, but this week believe that they got the wrong Marcus, when in fact the drive was going to be for Marcos Ambrose. The problem being that small print of the licensing system didn't allow for a one-off use of the licence.
News: FPR will be at least 3 cars next year. Rod Nash will take his licence and the Bottle-O sponsorship across to Ford, leaving Tony D'Alberto without a licence. Two young guys in contention for the seat are James Moffat and Andrew Thompson. All the infrastructure/personnel of the current team is D'Alberto's so all he needs for 2010 is a licence and sponsorship.

Last edited by garbo on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous 120 21 22 23 2428 Next