TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 535 Next
 Post subject: Re: V8SC 2010 Discussion
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:55 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Just a shame they have ruined V8 Supercars with the stupid rule for the enduros.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:30 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Time for some more liveries...

The Bundy Red Commodore to be driven by Fabian Coulthard and Andrew Thompson:

I came.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Very good.

How was the last round of 2009 by the way? I didn't give a shit enough to watch, but a short recap of the last two races would be sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:18 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Cheeveer wrote:
How was the last round of 2009 by the way? I didn't give a shit enough to watch, but a short recap of the last two races would be sweet.

Tander won Race 1, Courtney won Race 2... they were largely processional affairs, the track being too narrow and basically a bunch of straights linked by chicanes.

It was run on the Homebush Olympic site, it was crucial the event was a success, and as usual the very dubious VESA-released crowd figures said ten million fans showed up... even though most were probably there for the concerts on each night.

As for the racing, it was a demolition derby on the Sunday, only 16 cars finished.... apparently all the desperate dives and accidents was exciting motorsport & what motorsport is all about....... it might be what V8Supercars is about, but certainly not proper racing.....

;)

David Brabham & Glen Seton competed in the supporting Mini Challenge races, Glen even getting a victory which was great to see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:34 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

racer69 wrote:
Cheeveer wrote:

Tander won Race 1, Courtney won Race 2... they were largely processional affairs, the track being too narrow and basically a bunch of straights linked by chicanes.

It was run on the Homebush Olympic site, it was crucial the event was a success, and as usual the very dubious VESA-released crowd figures said ten million fans showed up... even though most were probably there for the concerts on each night.

As for the racing, it was a demolition derby on the Sunday, only 16 cars finished.... apparently all the desperate dives and accidents was exciting motorsport & what motorsport is all about....... it might be what V8Supercars is about, but certainly not proper racing.....

;)

David Brabham & Glen Seton competed in the supporting Mini Challenge races, Glen even getting a victory which was great to see.

Wow, I don't think you could be more wrong with that assessment.

The races themselves I thought were very good, especially race two. There was quite a bit of passing but even more drivers pushing too hard and stuffing it into the wall on their own. I'd hardly call it desperation, just part of racing and the nature of racing on street circuits. Plenty of action all the time, errors in the pits, Holdsworth screwing himself (x2), some three wide action and really what I thought was a pretty good track. I agree with what many others have said, and that was that it was some of the best racing seen through the decade in many series... As for the crowd figures, I went with what was said during the race on Sunday and that for three days the crowd was 180,000.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:08 pm 
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?
Its not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science is it?

According to Fabian Coulthard's Facebook. Queensland Raceway is off the 2010 schedule.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:34 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

rgordon wrote:
According to Fabian Coulthard's Facebook. Queensland Raceway is off the 2010 schedule.

Hmmm, good. No-one likes it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:52 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

codename_47 wrote:
rgordon wrote:

http://www.ozracingwrap.com/v8-supercar ... endar.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:25 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Brendan Kaczmarek wrote:

The races themselves I thought were very good, especially race two. There was quite a bit of passing but even more drivers pushing too hard and stuffing it into the wall on their own. I'd hardly call it desperation, just part of racing and the nature of racing on street circuits. Plenty of action all the time, errors in the pits, Holdsworth screwing himself (x2), some three wide action and really what I thought was a pretty good track. I agree with what many others have said, and that was that it was some of the best racing seen through the decade in many series... As for the crowd figures, I went with what was said during the race on Sunday and that for three days the crowd was 180,000.

Any track full of chicanes and places where it is effectively 1 lane in places, is not what i would term a good motor racing circuit. Couple that with the fact that as a General Admission Spectator, you could see bugger all of the track. All that money spent and perfectly good Eastern Creek was sitting 10mins down the road....

Believe VESA released crowd figures at your own will, they were outed the following weekend by Peter McKay in the Sun-Herald.

codename_47 wrote:

Not good, it is another permanent circuit off the schedule.

Leaves only Wanneroo, Symmons Plains, Sandown, Winton, Phillip Island & Hidden Valley....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I enjoyed the final round quite a lot actually, more racing like that and I might show ongoing interest in this series again. Sounds like your mind was made up about the place once you heard they'd set up a street circuit instead of Eastern Creek. (which has produced mostly snooze-fest racing over the years btw)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:21 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

racer69 wrote:
Brendan Kaczmarek wrote:

Any track full of chicanes and places where it is effectively 1 lane in places, is not what i would term a good motor racing circuit. Couple that with the fact that as a General Admission Spectator, you could see bugger all of the track. All that money spent and perfectly good Eastern Creek was sitting 10mins down the road....

Believe VESA released crowd figures at your own will, they were outed the following weekend by Peter McKay in the Sun-Herald.

codename_47 wrote:

Not good, it is another permanent circuit off the schedule.

Leaves only Wanneroo, Symmons Plains, Sandown, Winton, Phillip Island & Hidden Valley....

Jesus Christ, do you bitch about everything?

Queensland is a complete toss of a track especially layout wise. Bathurst, even if it is a toll road, is still a racing facility with facilities far above and beyond that of Ipswich.

Say what you want about the Sydney track but in all reality it was a challenge for the drivers, it was scenic and it still managed to provide some really great races.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

About Queensland going, it sucks that it's another Australian permanent circuit gone, but I won't miss it one bit. For a track that was built in 1999, it's the worst track design I've ever seen, and unless it's either wet (2001) or flip happy (2005), I can't remember a good race there.

Brendan Kaczmarek wrote:

Couldn't be more right. Although it wasn't the best I've seen, it was certainly better than the majority of the rounds throughout the year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:08 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coming from someone who lives 40 mins from Queensland raceway and races at Ipswich kart club, more happier to see it go. It was a shitty track. As long as we don't lose Surfers then it's all good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:56 am 

QR is by a long way the worst track on the V8 calendar so I'm not the slightest bit saddened by the news.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:17 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

We hardly knew ye.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:46 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Location: Jenson Button is running in the top 10 in 11th place.
No need to place my opinion on QR as it pretty obvious haha. Whats left in australia to take its place? Another overseas track or a another street circuit? Either way it cant possibly be as bad as QR.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:57 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The VESA release indicated that the round wouldn't be replaced.

Bag the track all you want, but it was

A) a track you could see the whole way around from the vantage points
B) One of the decreasing amount of permanant circuits left on the calandar, in time it will either be replaced with another of these overseas cheque bankers, or another concrete canyon
C) the track, especially with the bumps, has character & is a challenge to drive.
D) QLD Raceway is hardly inferior to say Calder, Oran Park South or Symmons Plains corner wise is it?

Give me any of our classic Australian tracks over the bland Tilke-rings with no character that they will be starting the season with in a few weeks. At least our tracks are actually in Australia!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:41 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

So a circuit that's poorly designed, provides uninspiring racing year in year out, doesn't portray Australian motorsport in a positive light overseas and is a mere blip on the radar, can be justified simply by the fact that it's in Australia? QR surely cannot be classified as a "classic Australian track", what does that say about the state of motorsport in this country if THAT falls under the banner of classic?

It'll never happen but I wish the track was torn up and something of value built on top of it that's worth the attention of the series, rather than settling for mediocrity.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

rgordon wrote:

Well, that means I'll have to go to Surfers if I want to go and see the V8's.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:12 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Location: Jenson Button is running in the top 10 in 11th place.
racer69 wrote:
The VESA release indicated that the round wouldn't be replaced.

Bag the track all you want, but it was

A) a track you could see the whole way around from the vantage points
B) One of the decreasing amount of permanant circuits left on the calandar, in time it will either be replaced with another of these overseas cheque bankers, or another concrete canyon
C) the track, especially with the bumps, has character & is a challenge to drive.
D) QLD Raceway is hardly inferior to say Calder, Oran Park South or Symmons Plains corner wise is it?

Give me any of our classic Australian tracks over the bland Tilke-rings with no character that they will be starting the season with in a few weeks. At least our tracks are actually in Australia!

True a track you could see all of if you hadnt already fallen asleep by the 1st lap. Theres more than enough permanent circuits of the calander, they shouldnt be on there if they re shit anyway. Im more than happy for a street circuit aslong as the racing is exciting. Adelaide, Townsville, Hamilton and Homebush certainly provide it. I cant bag bahrain as it actually suits the V8s. The track has bumps and may be challangeing but so does every temp circuit expecially adelaide and hamilton. I believe calder and Oran Park arnt on the calander anymore and symmons plains is small and crappy but actually does provide good racing. Other then that Bathurst and Phillip Island are on the calander which is only our real permanent classic aussie tracks. I dont know about anyone else but i would actually like to see the V8s on something in Europe and in America. We all know the heart of V8 Supercars is in australia but surely a few major overseas rounds wont hurt.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 693 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 535 Next