TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 828 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:39 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Hard to compare Besnard's drive, he got that 7th through mostly a well-timed yellow flag.

scotty wrote:
It doesn't matter what equipment he's in, he's done nothing in V8SC's. He's 24th in the standings this year for meanings sake.

It doesn't matter how poor his equipment has been?

Good equipment is everything, especially in V8 racing these days.

Marshall was thrown in the deep end with that ChampCar drive. He didn't do the full season of Brit F3 the year before, and it is abit of a step up. Power at least had the 2005 year in the World Series by Renault, an F1 test and the A1GP outing in a high-powered open-wheeler.

Do people forget in 2003 when Marshall/Ritter outqualified and outperformed their teammates Bright/Weel at Bathurst?

I'm not saying Marshall is the messiah, its just people are quick to forget success of the past (much like Paul Morris), and also fail to acknowledge less than top equipment when it is there to be seen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:33 am 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

2003 was five years ago. If I'm a team boss I'm going to want performance in 2007 and 2008, not half a decade ago. If that were the case Bjorn Wirdheim would be at the top of everyone's shopping lists.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:04 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Can't really tell who was in the car though looking back at the times. The only thing certain was that Ritter qualified the car, which suggests he is the quicker driver.

From eNews tonight
Quote:
Larry Perkins to step back from day-to-day control of a race team for the first time since 1986, instead playing an engineering supply role in a newly-formed alliance with Kelly Racing, which will field four - or even five - cars in 2009.

Perkins Engineering will remain as a builder and supplier of V8 cars and parts, primarily supplying the Kelly team, which is to be based in an all-new Dandenong factory.

Jack Daniels will appear on the Todd Kelly Commodore.

Perkins wouldn't formally confirm the change but did allow that the story was 'pretty accurate'.

eNews understands that Perkins intends to retain control of his two V8 licences, but that everything will be run by the Kelly's.

At this stage, no confirmed drivers other than Todd and Rick, but eNews confidently expects Jack Perkins and Autobarn backed Paul Dumbrell to be part of the equation, when the team and structure are formally revealed. Further, the teams new facility will reportedly allow a 5th car to be based there.

Also, Jonathan Webb still in the hunt for an 09 drive, incl PMM. These talks increased speculation that Paul Morris may step down, but Morris denies this.

Andrew Thompson is close to securing a drive for 09, with Ford Rising Stars Racing a leading contender.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:19 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

racer69 wrote:
Do people forget in 2003 when Marshall/Ritter outqualified and outperformed their teammates Bright/Weel at Bathurst?

That argument is pretty pointless. Ritter qualified that car, not Marshall. And it's very easy to outperform your teammates when they crash after 44 laps, but even so, Bright/Weel were ahead of Ritter/Marshall for 31 of those 44 laps. So explain how to me how beating your teammates for 13 of 44 laps equates to outperforming them?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:31 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

You could also look at that car again in 2004, which didn't make the race as I think Marshall walled the car around the Esses. (I think it was Marshall not White).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

garbo wrote:
You could also look at that car again in 2004, which didn't make the race as I think Marshall walled the car around the Esses. (I think it was Marshall not White).

No. Matthew White was the one who ended their weekend at the Esses (but I wasn't sure myself, had to do some research to find that out).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:12 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Pity. I'll just change it to White was qualifying as he was deemed to be faster than Marshall.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:56 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

A current outlook on the possible line up for next year.

HOLDEN
Holden Racing Team: Garth Tander #2, Will Davison #22
Skaife Sports owned licence, Walkinshaw Performance chassis and engines

Walkinshaw Performance: to be determined
Purchase of 08 PWR licence by Walkinshaw Performance likely, could be used as 3rd HRT car or Holden Young Lions car. WP chassis and engine

Sprint Gas Racing/Tasman Motorsport: Jason Richards #3, Greg Murphy #51
Tasman chassis and engines

Kelly Racing/Perkins Engineering: Todd Kelly #7, Jack Perkins #11, Rick Kelly #15, Paul Dumbrell #16
2 Kelly licences, 2 Perkins licences, Perkins chassis, Kelly or Perkins engines. JD sponsorship for TK, Mack sponsorship for Perkins. Autobarn sponsorship for PD

Brad Jones Racing: Andrew Jones #12, Cameron McConville #14
WP chassis and engines. Jones hasn't performed well but unlikely family member will get the boot. BOC will stay on as a sponsor. WOW could move if Max Wilson found a seat.

Garry Rogers Motorsport: Lee Holdsworth #33, Michael Caruso #34
WP chassis and engines

Paul Morris Motorsport/Super Cheap Auto Racing: Russell Ingall #39, Paul Morris #67
PMM chassis and engines. Morris likely to stay on, but still talk surrounds him stepping aside

Rod Nash Racing: Tony D'Alberto #55
WP chassis and engines

FORD
Stone Brothers Racing: Shane Van Gisbergen #9, Alex Davison #26.
SBR chassis and engines. IRWIN sponsorship for Davison. Unsure for Gis as SP Tools could be considered a clash with IRWIN

SBR/Britek Motorsport: Jason Bright #4
Britek owned licence. SBR chassis and engines. Likely to take the #4 with the #26 going to SBR.

Ford Performance Racing: Mark Winterbottom #5, Steven Richards #6
FPR owned licence. FPR chassis. FPR engines. Sponsors unconfirmed, rumours surround Orrcon, Castrol more likely to stay, but will it fit in with Ford wanting SBR/FPR cars to have predominantly blue sponsorship.

Dick Johnson Racing/Jim Beam Racing: Steven Johnson #17, James Courtney #18
888 chassis, DJR engines

Team Kiwi Racing: TBD
unless there is an ownership change will struggle to make the grid, as have burnt bridges with most Ford teams capable of supplying them with decent hardware - Hopefully sued and dismantled over the off season

Marcus Marshall Racing: #25 Marcus Marshall
Licence probably ex-Britek, though claims he has agreed to purchase PWR licence. Walden also possible 30th licence on the market. 888 chassis, SBRE?? engines. Sponsor will be new to V8s

888 Motorsport/Team Vodafone: Jamie Whincup #88, Craig Lowndes #888
888 chassis, new engine supplier for 08 KRE

Paul Cruickshank Racing: Fabian Coulthard #111
888 chassis, SBRE engines, Glenfords leaving motorsport, new sponsor for 08, perhaps Wilson Security. If funding can be found, could have 2 cars on the grid in 2009.

Ford Rising Stars Racing: Andrew Thompson #777
Jim Morton owned licence if purchase completed from PWR. FPR chassis, FPR engines

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:22 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

ryan86 wrote:
2003 was five years ago. If I'm a team boss I'm going to want performance in 2007 and 2008, not half a decade ago. If that were the case Bjorn Wirdheim would be at the top of everyone's shopping lists.

But once again, how can you argue someone hasn't been performing, when they have never had competitive equipment in V8Supercars??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:34 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Will Skaife still drive at Bathurst/Phillip Island??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Andrew Thompson for the 777 car? What happened to Michael Pitrizi? Does Karl Reindler have any shot at this drive or is Andrew Thompson confirmed?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:34 pm 

mclaren2008 wrote:
Will Skaife still drive at Bathurst/Phillip Island??

He said on last weekend's V8 Xtra that he hadn't made up his mind yet. Later on Lowndes said it would be said at Oran Park this year because it would be the last time he would get to race against Skaife. Perhaps Skaife told his old friend he wouldn't be driving again but he's leaving the possibility open in the minds of the public?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:25 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Speaking of old men in race cars, why wasn't John Bowe around at the enduros?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not sure whether it had anything to do with him not running the enduros, but JB came out last week and said that he had been suffering depression. Could have been a reason, but then again, it might not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:42 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I think when he retired he said he'd be unlikely to drive in the enduros this year. He never really figured in much discussion before enduro announcements were made.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 78,00.html
Quote:
John Bowe on the road to recovery
Article from: Sunday Herald Sun
James Bresnehan

November 16, 2008 12:00am

BEHIND the wheel of a thundering V8, cocooned in a steel rollcage, sheathed by fireproof clothing and helmet, John Bowe felt at home.

Racing cars was his job, his love, his life for 22 years -- and he was good at it.

No driver has contested more V8 Supercar races than the likeable 55-year-old driver from Devonport.

But stepping out of the sport at the end of last year left Bowe disoriented and detached.

He spiralled into despair and clinical depression.

"Some days you just don't want to get out of bed - that's how I was," Bowe said.

"I was lost."

Not surprisingly, it is in the seat of a race car that he is reclaiming his sense of self and, more importantly, has found passion and joy again.

A year after his retirement from V8s, "JB" will return to his home track, Symmons Plains, next weekend to race a 1969 Camaro in the Biante Touring Car Masters.

"This drive happened along at the right time because I was still struggling with the fact that I was not a full-time V8 driver," he said.

"I was a full-time professional for so long it just became such a big part of my life. You live, eat, breathe it."

Bowe won Bathurst twice, was Australian Touring Car Champion in 1995, contested a record 373 V8 Supercar races for 34 wins and 90 podium finishes.

"Now I've had some time to think about it, I was struggling over the past couple of years with the fact that I was going to retire, knowing it was coming," he said.

"But it was nothing like the impact it had on me when it arrived - it was a shattering loss. I started to suffer from depression, which is not very pleasant.

"I felt down in the dumps all the time. You get to the stage where you can't deal with day-to-day actions, and sometimes I got so bad I didn't want to get out of bed. It's terrible, such a life-changing thing."

Bowe is not the first Australian sportstar to suffer depression.

The list includes Olympians Leisel Jones, Raelene Boyle and Matt Mitcham, AFL players Nathan Thompson and Wayne Schwass, NRL legend Andrew Johns and Socceroo Mark Bosnich.

Beyondblue national chairman Jeff Kennett said 15 per cent of the sporting elite suffered depression.

Support is available on the beyondblue info line, 1300 22 4636, or beyondblue.org.au

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:02 am 
I dunno if its been posted but next year the GC round will become 2x 200km races featuring pitstops for fuel and tires.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:55 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Should have been discussed somewhere. Homebush, Hamilton, Bahrain, Townsville I think all have that same format.

Auto Action mentioned that the V8s could still not be guaranteed at the Gold Coast next year. This is being based on comments by Tony Cochrane at Adelaide this year where he said that V8 Supercars will never ever ever share a weekend with A1GP. Nothing official has been signed regarding the V8s on the Gold Coast next year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:19 am 
From an email I got earlier today.

Quote:
Tony Cochrane – Chairman V8 Supercars Australia:
"We are delighted to finalise the new five year arrangement at what has been one of our signature events,” said Cochrane.

“Our new race format, featuring a 200km Race on Saturday and Sunday with both tyre and fuel pit stops, will make for an absolute must see on the streets of Surfers Paradise.

“V8 Supercars would particularly like to thank the Queensland Government, and in particular Minister Spence and the promoter GCMEC, for their tremendous work in bringing this together.

"Once again, V8 Supercars are delighted to bring the TV production and our host broadcaster, the Seven Network to this iconic Australian motorsport event"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:22 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Good to see Auto Action is useless as normal. 200km will be a massive test of the brakes at Surfers.

Would be interesting if the V8 deal is regardless of A1GP/international OW race, or whether if A1GP folds the V8 deal is void as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If A1GP were to fold I'm sure the V8's would go it alone.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 828 Next