TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Justin Wilson 1978-2015
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:24 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I know this topic is dominating most threads atm, but I thought there needs to be one memorial-esque thread where we can all get together and share our memories of Justin following his tragic crash at Pocono that claimed his life.

My first memory of him was his win in F3000 in Brazil 2001, doing a bit of a stoppy on the line and spinning his car after the flag.
For some reason that endeared me to him, he did what it took to win but then enjoyed himself (a bit too much!) after the finish!

Justin's title that year was a feel-good result and from then on he did well to race on seemingly Eurosport shown championships (F3000, Nissan World Series and eventually champcar)
2003 was a hard luck year for him despite finally getting his F1 dream. Minardi designed a car that would actually fit his tall frame and he did them proud.
The TV Director never picked this up but he usually dragged that lowly minardi up to 11th or 12th places at the start of some races.
Our commentators used to mention it in passing but I'm not sure if it ever made the TV footage.
Then came the Jaguar drive at a time when Jaguar were focused on one car only. One solitary point, ironically in America, the place that came to be so important to him, was not a just reward for his efforts.

And then came his second wind. Still not quite in top flight equipment but in a series that enabled underdogs to occasionally shine.
It was this time, January 2004, that i met him at the Autosport show in January.
I was just a fanboy and there was intense speculation about where he might drive next season. But I found myself standing next to him just after he came off the Autosport stage and had a brief chat where he confirmed he'd be in Champcar for the next season.
Our chat was nothing longer than a minute but the fact he was nice enough to give me the time of day and tell me his plans was a nice touch and a measure of the guy as a bloody good bloke.

Fast forward to now and he's still managed to save 6 lives as an organ donor, there's no bigger testament to the man than that.
He was a true gent and a true racer on and off the track, if more people were like him this world would be a much better place

RIP Justin

Now I please ask you all to share your memories of him, meeting in person, his performances in any of his races, anything you care to share to remember Justin as he was, the underdog badass who touched us all
Over to you.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:02 pm 

The F3000 spin comes back in my mind and him being at Minardi and Jaguar. I see his pain striken face in front of me after his Malaysia '03 retirement because of the HANS device blocking a nerve in his shoulder. Also that I came across a website/forum of people who felt they got screwed over by Justin Wilson PLC concerning promised longterm ROI and spendings of the fund that put Palmer/Wilson in a whole other daylight. Nevertheless a horrible shock to finding out this morning that he had perished. R.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:14 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Thanks to Dr. Palmer's skill in negotiating TV time, I first saw Justin on TV in the highlights packages for FPA in 1998. He was clearly one of the best and I was drawn to him (and his helmet). He was the second driver (after Lewis) that I actively tried to follow by myself and for 17 years he was always a part of the motorsport that I watched, sometimes by design and sometimes by chance. I remember him in the mock Benetton at Astromega, the win-'n'-spin, the championship, him collapsing in Malaysia after trying to drive the hottest GP of the year with a trapped nerve, the provisional front row at Magny-Cours alongside Jos, him being almost the third side of the eternal Seabass-PT fight, being the best crossover driver after the merger and the way he chased Rahal down at Texas and forced him into the mistake that cost him the win.

No other driver comes close in terms of what I remember of them. I always remembered his birthday because it's on the same day as my brother's. It's a pretty large hole and I don't know how long it'll be before I stop noticing that he's not there.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:30 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I'd forgotten about Justin Wilson PLC

Whatever you say about it A) It worked but B) it was really more an idea from his management

It was definitely a unique way of finding the finance to go racing. Almost like a kickstarter 10 years before it was a thing.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I first heard about Justin through FVJ and then again in FPA. I first really took notice of Justin in F3000 during his 1999 rookie season. Back then I got to watch the International F3000 coverage on ITV and during that season he was the only rookie to qualify for every race, in a car that was known to be tricky to master. Justin was also part of a double act in 2000 and 2001 with Derek Mower and his Nordic Racing team. Both rose to prominence together and were both extremely popular characters and winners. Kind of similar to what Justin had with Dale Coyne a few years later. Justin and Mower even took the team, through their sponsors Coca-Cola, into the FIA GT a few times. Justin, Enge and Nordic running a GT Porsche in 2001.

Justin was an easy person to support. Rarely a smile left his face and he never courted negativity for the way he drove or his personality. Texas 2012 was edge of your seat. Watkins Glen in 2009 was sublime. Justin may not have won a top level title, but he won fans world over and has won in almost every car he's sat in. Championship not needed, but you're still a Champion.

RIP Justin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I did meet Justin once. It was the year that Champ Car came to Brands Hatch (2003?). I went to the toilet and noticed that he was stood next to me. It was a bit awkward to make eye contact or say anything. :lol: Anywhere else and I would have attempted to start a conversation. From everything I've read, he sounded like a genuinely nice guy. A sad loss.

Likewise, I first saw him racing in FPA.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I first came across him in FPA, having visited the Autosport show at some point. I then followed him in F3000 courtesy of Eurosport, and was dead pleased when he got the Minardi drive - I did wonder how he managed to get away with that drive sitting so high up in the cockpit.

I lost track after he left F1, mainly because we had no coverage of US racing at home, but was always pleased to read about his wins in Autosport. He seems to have been a bit of a Gary Lineker figure - always smiling, and never a bad word from his rivals.

Incidentally, I found out this evening that someone tried to take him to court over the lack of return from the PLC. However, further reading suggests that this was probably down to JP's 'unique' business skills. I've read elsewhere that he turned up to the AGM meal for 10 straight years, and the majority of shareholders raved about them.

Motorsport has lost another top bloke, and we're all worse off for it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

For me, this one really hit home. What I will always remember about him on track is the lack of mistakes he made, you rarely saw him have an off, or make a mistake or a risky move that did not stick. Off it, I will always envy the sort of guy he was, his positive attitude towards things.

I remember the days at RuSport, and the breath of fresh air he was in during Bourdais' spell and PT's madness. Can't believe it's 8-9 year ago already. Also his win at the Glen in a Coyne car when the Champ Car teams were still miles behind is something I'll tell my grand children about.

I will miss him sorely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:23 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

I first heard of Justin Wilson in around 1998/9 as well. I think F1 Racing had an article he was featured in, he was also on the ITV coverage of the F3000. He stood out from the crowd, mainly due to his height! There's not may top line racing drivers over 6ft, nevermind 6ft 4". I took a liking to him because he was local (I'm from North Yorkshire, so Sheffield in South Yorkshire isn't a million miles away) and kept a keen eye on his career.

I was thrilled for him when he got the Minardi drive; it went to show that, despite his height disadvantage, his skill had been recognised and rewarded. The car was a dog and the team had no money, but I always had a massive soft spot for Minardi. When he got the call to Jaguar and got that point in the USGP I was thrilled.

Fast-forward a couple of years and I join a modding team for rFactor called iDT. We were trying to make the move from enthusiastic fans to a legitimate company and had, somehow, secured the rights to produce a simulation/game based on the 2006 ChampCar World Series. We had many drivers offering advice and feedback on the looks, sounds and handling of the game. Justin was among these drivers who we would sit chatting to on Ventrillo (along with Sean Edwards, AJ Allmendinger, Tommy Milner and some others). He was great fun to talk to and incredibly likable.

As part of the ChampCar gig, I got to go to the San José race in 2006, access all areas. I met and spoke to most of the drivers and most were pleasant to talk to (Bourdais was a prick though). There was one driver that was more than pleasant to talk to; Justin. We spoke at length about Yorkshire, racing and the game at multiple points over the week we were there. Even after he stuffed his car into the wall during qualifying, he was still chipper and happy to talk. He even took me to see what he'd done to his car and explained the work that needed to be done to get it race-ready again. He was the only driver who would talk to us without going to him first and I was delighted to be able to shake his hand after his fine 3rd place finish. Not a shabby result after starting well down the field.

That Justin was able to actually win a race whilst in a Dale Coyne car speak volumes of his incredible talent. Having seen the state of their cars (albeit the next season) it's a wonder they ever finished a race. Justin had the cards stacked against him with his physique; it limited the way in which the weight in the car could be moved round and he raced with no padding in his cockpit. But he never complained, he just got on and did it. And on his day, he could do it better than anyone.

Justin with his team mate in 2006, Christiano Da Matta. Incredible height difference!

Oops...

After his 3rd place finish at San Jose in 2006

RIP Justin, you'll be sorely missed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I met him at Long Beach 2006 due to working with iDT also. We only spoke briefly though.

I first watched him racing in 2003 when he was at Minardi and Jaguar. I'll always remember him driving that Minardi around at the Nürburgring and of course in the Mi-Jack Conquest car and the RuSport CDW car. During Bourdais' later years of dominance he was one of the few true rivals Bourdais had.

His win at The Glen was really something too. I remember watching that race live on TV and was so happy for him. Beating Penske and Ganassi in a Coyne car was awesome to see.

Last edited by iks on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just heard this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrjTzEDjak

with this feature
http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/ ... n-pictures

But going backwards.

This really really hit me, so unexpected, to have problems at Pocono, after all that we've been trough this year in Indycar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:15 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

As promised here is the Downforce Radio Tribute to Justin show, which apparently (and if I knew this I'd probably have been far too nervous) has already been heard by Stefan and his and Justin's cousin and other members of the family.... 8O

http://www.spreaker.com/user/jakesanson/downforce-usa-justin-wilson-tribute-show

We tried to give him the best tribute we could. I only hope we did justice to what a great man he was.

Twitter:

Post subject: Justin Wilson 1978-2015
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for that Paul, I look forward to taking a listen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:22 am 

I saw him race in several ChampCar / Indycar races in California: San Jose 2007, Long Beach 2013, Sonoma 2008, 2014... we will all be thinking of him next Sunday.

http://minorart.free.fr/.mt/?.Racing/JustinWilson:ChampCar_autograph_session

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Found this earlier from Susie Wheldon's Instagram. Justin & Dan's karting days. :flag: What an awesome picture.

https://instagram.com/p/6ztQueu2KN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:16 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am glad I saw one of his wins live at the track, Champcar at Assen 2007.
(wish I had a better camera back then)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:01 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

A good man in life

A good man after life

:flag:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:13 am 

RACER posted this video of Justin's first qualifying with Jaguar, German GP in 2003:
http://www.racer.com/videos/item/120748 ... cher-in-f1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Such a nice piece by Robin Miller - http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/12069 ... -of-racing

My favorite quote is "Every time something looked like chicken s**t, he made it chicken salad".