TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My first memory of Justin

I remember following the rest of the 2001 F3000 season as a result of his success. Justin was also one of the main reasons I carried on watching Champcar throughout the mid-2000's, it was great to have a such a talented British driver to support and I will always remember him fondly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I thought a few people would appreciate this from Autosport.com

Autosport.com wrote:
Justin Wilson: The early years

Before making it to F1 and enjoying a successful career in America, Justin Wilson worked his way through the junior ranks. MARCUS SIMMONS recalls those early years with the help of some who worked with the Briton

By Marcus Simmons
AUTOSPORT magazine deputy editor

Justin Wilson, 95FVJ

The road to Formula 1 for Justin Wilson was a long one. Ironically, the lanky lad with the longest legs in the paddock could not vault the ranks at the same speed as karting contemporaries such as Jenson Button or Anthony Davidson, but arguably the lessons learned on his rocky road made him all the better as an accomplished professional racing driver

His car-racing debut came at the age of just 16 years and two months, when he lined up for the Formula Vauxhall Junior Winter Series at Pembrey in October 1994, in preparation for a full season in '95. For a young lad from Sheffield, the environment of Team JLR was perfect, with a Yorkshire homeliness as if he were in a farm kitchen in All Creatures Great and Small.

"You usually know instantly if they've got it or not," says Richard Dean, who at the time driver-coached for JLR and now has many of the former staffers from the team working under him at GT-and-historics squad United Autosports.

"Justin straight away was very quick, but what stands out for me was how deceptively aggressive he was in the car. He would put people into a false sense of security because he was such a nice guy out of the car - always smiling, dead straightforward, no politics - but in it he was hugely aggressive and focused."

Wilson won on his car debut that day at Pembrey, instantly marking himself out as a likely leading contender for 1995. That was until JLR sent him and team-mate Richard Tarling to Brands Hatch to learn the circuit in school Formula Firsts. A failure on his car spat Wilson into the barriers, breaking a wrist and an ankle.

As a result he missed the first FVJ round at Donington and, even when he returned to the cockpit, he was walking on crutches. After a late-season run of wins he narrowly lost out in the title race to champion Marc Hynes and runner-up Darren Malkin.

"The accident still didn't put him off and I don't think he stopped smiling!" reminisces Dean. And it didn't dilute the aggression: "His overtaking was on another level. He always got away with it. You'd see him go for an overtaking manoeuvre and you'd cover your eyes, but he always came out the other side. That's not luck, just judgement.

"And a genuinely nice family [Wilson's father Keith was a handy Formula Ford racer in the 1970s]. You'd think, 'I wish I could run people like that every year.' No hassle, they just trusted you.

"If you wanted to wrap up the qualities between being genuinely quick, really aggressive and an everybody-loves-him guy, it's really hard to work out [what stood out most]."

Wilson was picked up by Paul Stewart Racing for Formula Vauxhall Lotus in 1996 and '97. With the patronage of Jackie Stewart's 'staircase of talent', it looked as though his path through the ranks would be a smooth one. He finished runner-up to team-mate Peter Dumbreck in '96 - no disgrace, as the accomplished Scot was a second-year FVL driver - but then disappointed in '97.

While new team-mate Luciano Burti won the title, Wilson only placed fourth. A couple of years later he explained: "I was sitting there [in '96] finishing second to Peter, and everyone sort of expected me to take over where he left off. If anything, I probably hadn't been paying enough attention to the technical side because it all seemed so easy. Then when we couldn't find a set-up there was no Peter to help us. That taught me a valuable lesson."

His height was also an issue, and Stewart Sr's famous remark that Wilson would make a good touring car or GT driver - by inference confirming his doubts over his ability to reach F1 - hit deep.

Wilson tested a Formula 3 car, but he said "it didn't strike me as being much fun" and anyway, the family did not have enough money for the step (Wilson Sr is head of a solvents company and owned a petrol station, but there is only so much disposable income). Luckily, Jonathan Palmer had just launched Formula Palmer Audi for 1998, with a prize for the champion of a full season in Formula 3000 in '99.

"He was not only carrying the burden of being tall but also the perception of it," says Palmer. "He'd been told that at his height he had no chance of making it as an F1 driver. That tormented him and his father."

Palmer adds that, with a season in FPA costing £85,000 against an F3 budget of up to £400,000, "it was a complete lifeline to Justin and a lot of other drivers. He was shy from the start - he didn't say a huge amount but what he did say was worth listening to.

"I still remember the final round at Donington: four drivers - Justin, Darren Turner, Topi Serjala and Richard Tarling - could win the championship, and under pressure Justin was in a class of his own. He left the field behind and coped superbly."

Palmer's prize - which came with a management deal - carried Wilson to Astromega for his rookie F3000 season in 1999.

Initially team owner Mikke van Hool wasn't keen on an unproven driver - this was the first year F3000 became a full-time supporting category to European F1 events, in the way GP2 is today, and the field was so oversubscribed that it was a major achievement just to qualify, while van Hool knew that if his team didn't score points it might not be selected to compete in 2000.

But after testing Wilson at Monza he changed his mind straight away, and the new boy vindicated that judgement by qualifying for every single race.

The promise shown meant all the stops were pulled out to continue in 2000. While Astromega snapped up Fernando Alonso, Palmer pulled together a budget for his man: "We did a pretty good deal with Nordic Racing, and Benetton got involved too and contributed."

Wilson took fifth in the points, and crucially Nordic had pulled in Coca Cola as title sponsor during that season, meaning it could pick its drivers for '01, when Wilson would be joined by Tomas Enge.

"Right from the word go we knew we had something special," recalls Chris Mower, who ran Nordic with his father Derek. "I met Justin when he won the Palmer Audi championship - I went to Donington and we were scouting for drivers. We said we'd be interested in giving him a test, because we thought he was ready to move up, but we couldn't get anything done for 1999.

"We could see a lot of potential when he was at Astromega, and we knew we were on the brink of a major sponsorship deal with Coca Cola, which allowed us a little bit of flexibility with the drivers we chose for 2001."

Wilson had a lucky start to the 2001 campaign, winning from Mark Webber at Interlagos when the leading three drivers were penalised for safety-car infringements.

"I often wonder how that year would have gone had we not won the first race," muses Mower. "But there was the boost that this was the first year he never had to worry about sponsorship. That gave him huge confidence.

"We felt Tomas was quicker over one lap, but - and this will piss Tomas off! - Justin was smarter.

"The two of them got along together really well - Tomas was the prankster and Justin spent most of his time just laughing at what Tomas was up to.

"Justin's feel for the car was unlike any driver I experienced. He was a very easy driver to work for in that respect. All you'd have to say is, 'OK, do you need a change similar to what we did at, say, Silverstone?' and he'd say, 'That's not exactly what I'm looking for; more like what we had at the Nurburgring.'"

Wilson had obviously worked hard on the technical weakness that had hampered him earlier in his career, while Mower also points out: "He learned only just before he joined us that he had dyslexia, and that boosted his confidence because he knew it wasn't down to intelligence, that he just had to work harder at things."

But there was still one weakness: qualifying. "We did a test and he messed up a lap," says Mower. "He did a slowdown lap and went quicker! That didn't make sense so he looked at the data, and found that he could gain time by just rolling through the corners, not trying so hard. From that point his qualifying was a lot better."

(Actually, there was another weakness: cooking. Wilson had flown the family nest in 2001, telling AUTOSPORT - with typical self-deprecating humour - that after his first attempt at preparing a meal he now knew to drain the pasta before adding the sauce!)

Also, Nordic had stumbled across something that gave the team a head start for at least half a season, reckons Mower: "We were always on track for qualifying straight after Formula 1 qualifying. There was a session when rain was on its way so they had to go for a time straight away, and from that we realised that the quickest lap was the first timed lap, before the Avon F3000 rubber plucked up the F1 rubber.

"That gave us a huge advantage, and allowed us to run higher tyre pressures and the car as low as possible."

Now a complete driver, Wilson dominated 2001 to become Britain's first (and only) F3000 champion. But the deserved F1 break didn't come, and Wilson had what Palmer describes as "a holding-pattern year" in World Series by Nissan. Teaming up with Franck Montagny at Racing Engineering, he finished fourth in a series won by Ricardo Zonta, who in turn was attempting to rebuild his career after a stint in F1.

Mower adds that "his days in Palmer Audi did him a world of good, not only in the series but working at the corporate facility, because he had so much experience driving so many different cars."

"Justin was always refreshingly straightforward and uncomplicated in relaying what the car was doing and what he wanted out of it," adds Palmer. "He would never have any excuses: he was always the first to blame himself for not getting the most out of it, and that level of candour is unusual."

Wilson was also gaining in stature (metaphorically) out of the car. "What was very rewarding was seeing Justin grow in confidence year by year," Palmer recalls. "In F3000 he got more and more assertive, and quite correctly so. His view and judgement on sporting, technical and the commercial sides became increasingly valid."

Finally the F1 break came for 2003, yet Wilson never forgot the friendships forged with everyone throughout his career.

After Nordic folded, Mower would work for the Conquest Racing Champ Car team, for which Wilson would drive, and remembers: "We went to a party, Justin as my guest, and my wife took her best friend.

"That was Julia [who Wilson later married] - they hit it off straight away although couldn't be more different, but then I guess opposites attract!

"It's a tragedy," adds Mower, who now works on Nissan's LMP1 project. "Without a doubt he was special, on and off the track.

"We had no idea how much of an impact he had on other people's lives. There's a nine-year-old kid here who races karts and has dyslexia, and Justin took a mentor role with him and got him sponsorship from the Dyslexia Foundation - but he never talked about anything good that he did."

Palmer remembers Wilson as a great inspiration for his son Jolyon: "He was very influenced by him and definitely used Justin as a role model, and he was very good at giving Jolyon time - he's very straightforward, just like Justin was."

"I saw him only a couple of weeks ago at the Laguna Seca historic meeting," adds Dean (United was running cars, with Dean racing a Formula 5000 Lola, while Wilson was competing in a Porsche 911).

"I had some photos from the JLR days, and he remembered everyone's names - all the mechanics, the truckie... It struck me as I walked away that was another mark of what a genuine person he was.

"We were working late one evening on an F1 car, and as we were leaving Justin was still there, wandering around the paddock and looking at the cars. Even after his professional career, he'd have still carried on racing for the love of it."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Autosport.com wrote:
A Formula 1 career cut short

Justin Wilson was quick and popular as a rookie in 2003, but in the end that wasn't enough. ADAM COOPER reflects on the Briton's single campaign in Formula 1

By Adam Cooper
Special contributor

The list of drivers to move from an F1 team based in Faenza to one based in Milton Keynes includes some pretty impressive names. Mark Webber was the first to do it, and since then Sebastian Vettel, Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat have made the same journey.

So too did Justin Wilson when he graduated from Minardi to Jaguar in the middle of his rookie season in 2003. It should have been the chance of a lifetime, but it didn't work out as everyone had hoped - and in the end commercial reasons that were way beyond his control meant his F1 career didn't extend into 2004.

It took a lot of hard work from Wilson's manager Jonathan Palmer and a major commitment from team boss Paul Stoddart to make the Minardi opportunity happen. The Italian team had run Fernando Alonso and Webber over the previous two seasons, and Wilson was seen by Stoddart as a natural successor, another talent that he could help send on his way to stardom.

There was one difference - while Justin's predecessors were clear team leaders alongside Tarso Marques and Alex Yoong, he was up against F1 veteran Jos Verstappen, so he faced a much tougher challenge.

Wilson's race engineer that year was Alex Varnava, who had previously run both Alonso and Webber.

"Towards the back of the field you have a high turnover of drivers, very typical for an underfunded team," says Varnava, who is now head of quality (systems and engineering) at Mercedes GP. "You're pushed into a situation where you have to get to know someone quite quickly.

"Where some would be a little bit hesitant, and deal with that kind of scenario differently, Justin wanted to know.

"He wanted to know about me - we'd routinely go for curries in Northampton with [his younger brother] Stefan or a couple of my friends - he wanted to be a part of it, he wanted to learn, he wanted every opportunity to give everything he could.

"What struck me was the level of commitment that he went to, even with the seat fit. His issue was that he was very broad across his shoulders, so the problem was trying to squeeze him width-ways into the cockpit. He'd do anything to fit in the car. There was never a grumble about it - it was, 'Tell me what I need to do, and I'll do it.'

"He was like a sponge, wanting to soak it up. 'How do I get quicker? Talk to me.' He was very thorough, and he wanted to understand everything."

With a minimum of testing behind him Wilson qualified 20th and last in Australia, but he stunned observers by finishing the first lap in 12th. His starts were to become his trademark.

"He was very good at overtaking in general," says Varnava. "He always did it cleanly and fairly, there was never any fuss or bother, it was quite surgical the way that he did it.

"He saw opportunities that other people might not have seen, or they might have been far more aggressive with their approach. Where it really showed was race starts. It was that awareness of what was going on around him."

He was even more impressive at Sepang, where he jumped up to eighth - only to suffer a drinks bottle failure: "We all understand the need for hydration in Malaysia. The first words out of his mouth weren't that his drink system had stopped, it was, 'I'm not sure I can keep going'. It was about what he could give.

"In the end after another two or three laps he came into the pitlane, and managed to get the car stopped. We had to physically lift him out of the car, and he was on the garage floor, on a drip. He would give everything.

"We improved the seating position slightly and took away some material inside the monocoque, just to give him a bit of manoeuvring, really. But it was by no means ever perfect. He always had some sort of compromise, not being able to move his arms properly because of the constraints on his shoulders.

"I can't reiterate enough - it was never a problem. If we could make it a little bit better that would be helpful, but he'd never grumble about it. Everything he did, he was a gentleman all the way through."

Justin continued to catch the eye with his charging first laps, and his pace relative to Verstappen. Then in the middle of the season another opportunity began to open up.

Jaguar had become frustrated by Antonio Pizzonia, who was struggling to match team-mate Webber, and it was apparent that the Brazilian was unlikely to be around in 2004. Nick Heidfeld and Alex Wurz were among the names in the frame, but when the team decided to make an immediate change, it chose Wilson.

"Once he had that good run in the Minardi there was no getting away from Jonathan Palmer, he was on it!" says former Jaguar team principal Tony Purnell. "But that's what you employ a manager for.

"He was not pushing for him to replace Pizzonia; it was much more about the following year, and trying to get his foot firmly in the door. I think when we suggested it could be a bit more immediate that was a little bit of a surprise to them.

"For a little time there he was a bit of a sensation. Especially his starts. The analysis guys said, 'You know, he goes round pretty quickly and consistently.' The Minardi people were pretty complimentary, so the jungle drums were giving us a good message.

"It was definitely worth a shot. Paul Stoddart was, 'He's a helluva guy, there's no way I'm standing in his way, he's done a great job for us. Best of luck'."

With Stoddart's blessing Wilson was able to get out of his Minardi contract, but before his Jaguar deal was announced he had to do a secret late night seat fitting.

"Being so tall I think there was a general worry that he couldn't fit in the chassis," says his race engineer Stefano Sordo, now head of aero performance at Red Bull. "So before announcing it we just wanted to make sure that he would fit.

"He couldn't actually sit in the car, so eventually we removed the seat. He was driving without a seat, resting on the back of the chassis, with a few bits of padding around. I remember we trimmed the cockpit bulkhead, just above his knees.

"It was a balance between the car being structurally safe and him being able to raise his knees past the bulkhead so he could get out. That was not unusual, but it was a larger trim than with other drivers.

"He was definitely tight in the cockpit, very, very tight. It was big chance for him, and it's normal human nature, you try to accommodate everything that the team asks you to do, and you try to be a very nice guy. He would never have complained."

At Hockenheim the team was worried that Wilson wouldn't pass the FIA's extraction test, but in the end it wasn't an issue. Things started well when he was seventh in Friday qualifying, three-tenths behind Webber and ahead of the Ferrari of Michael Schumacher.

"I don't think it was very easy for him, but he gelled straight away with the team," says Sordo. "He was very humble. A very down to earth person, very friendly, a really lovely guy. And he was definitely quick enough to be in F1."

"He was dedicated and utterly professional," Purnell recalls. "Just a sort of ideal team member. No edges, no temper tantrums, really in control of himself. He was good for the team because of that attitude.

"At the time Mark was really on a high, and everyone loved him. To enter that situation is difficult. In fact Justin walked into that pretty well, and he was popular."

Wilson retired early with gearbox problems in Germany, and life got tougher in subsequent races as he found it hard to close that frustrating 0.3s gap to his team mate, who was by now well dialled in at Jaguar. He'd not just changed teams mid-season, but also tyre supplier, from Bridgestone to Michelin.

"He was up against a young Mark Webber," says Sordo. "And also the car at the time wasn't an easy car to drive, it was quite difficult to get the laptime. And from what the drivers were saying the Michelin was a more difficult tyre, and it was harder to get the grip out of it.

"In the races we suffered a lot from rear tyre degradation, so we had a big balance swing between qualifying on new tyres and the end of a race stint on the scrubbed tyres.

"Even when Mark was quicker Justin never complained about the car. He said, 'Well if Mark can do it, it's down to me to try to find the laptime in this corner or that corner'. Most of the time he said, 'Leave the car as it is and I'll try to work on myself to extract the last bit of speed'. It was a very positive attitude.

"He had Mark at the top of his game," says Purnell. "And it's always a problem for a racing driver to sit there and look across, and you know you're in the same equipment, and you're a good chunk off. That's a difficult thing, especially as he came off the wave he had with Minardi.

"I think he expected to jump in the car and go as quick as Mark. He was very much 'the man' at Minardi, and the press was full of him. I think it dented his confidence, the fact that it was a grind to find the speed. There were flashes, but it didn't really come. It was nothing more complex than that, really."

Varnava, who knew Jaguar well having previously worked on its test team, has an interesting take: "The two teams ran their operations very differently.

"Jaguar had much more in the way of resource, much more in the way of data engineers, the way they ran the car over the course of the weekend was very different to the way we ran it at Minardi. We were a small team, everybody mucked in.

"Being his first season he was still getting familiar with circuits, and getting familiar with the way the weekend ran and the car behaved. It was all-new at the start of that season.

"And before you've even found your feet you're back into that cycle after changing teams mid-season. They would have had a level expectation, and he wouldn't have had the experience under him to do it."

Spa and Monza brought more mechanical retirements, the latter coming right at the start. Then in a rain-affected race at Indianapolis, Justin earned what would be his only point with eighth, having run as high as third during the stops. Jaguar struggled badly in the finale at Suzuka, with Webber and Wilson finishing 11th and 13th. It was a low-key end to the season.

In late November Justin tested alongside F3 man Christian Klien at Valencia. The Brit was 1.4s faster, but Klien had an ace up sleeve - not just the promise of Red Bull sponsorship for 2004, but longer term, he brought with him the prospect of survival.

"I remember coming back on the plane from Valencia with Christian and Justin," says Sordo. "We sort of knew that Christian was going to get the drive. To be honest that was a bit sad, if you think about a young driver hoping to retain his seat.

"If money was not an issue probably the team would have kept him for another year and seen what he could have done. The other thing is Mark was very positive about him - he kept saying Justin is quick."

As Sordo says, it came down to cash. Purnell was aware that Ford's support was likely to be pulled at the end of 2004, and Red Bull was his Plan B. After the Valencia test Justin was told that he didn't figure in Jaguar's plans.

"We had him under consideration until the last possible moment," Purnell insists. "Because he had done nothing to make us think, 'Don't even put him in the frame for next year'. He was very much in the frame, because otherwise we would have told him after the last race.

"The decision to drop Justin was not without its commercial drivers. At that stage I was the only bloke in the company who knew what the future was. Although it wasn't at that stage a 100 per cent decision [by Ford], it was high risk, and I knew that I had better think of the future.

"HSBC had definitely decided to quit F1, and the scene with Red Bull was pretty damn clear - you take our boy, and you're dealing with the biggest sponsor that you'll ever see. That's the way F1 is, sadly.

"It was crystal clear to me that, strategically, getting together with Red Bull was mighty sensible. I knew what I was doing. The future of all the staff depended on the right decision.

"I'm quite sure that if Justin had dazzled in the car it would have been different, but you have to chew everything over, and weigh it all up. He took everything with good grace. I never really knew how he viewed his F1 career, but I never got the impression that he thought it was all totally unfair.

"I think it was more, 'I had the chance, it was great, it didn't work out, let's make the best of the new situation'. That seemed to be the sort of bloke he was."

Sadly the new situation did not involve F1, but Justin turned his attention instead to the USA.

"In terms of outright speed, he had it, or he had the ability to get there," says Varnava, whose previous drivers provide a good benchmark. "He'd demonstrated it against Jos, he'd demonstrated it against Mark in F3000.

"OK, perhaps he didn't have the opportunity to do it against Alonso. He had the pace, he simply couldn't deliver it in a Minardi, but he managed to outqualify Jos several times.

"If there was ever anything that was going to stop him being a world champion in F1 it was just that little bit too much Mr Nice. He didn't have the approach of 'I'll have you off just to make sure I get through'. All of the politics, all of the spin, that goes into unsettling your team-mates.

"It sounds strange but I feel that F1 wasn't the world for Justin anyway. It is so self-centred and you have to have an element of that to be successful. It just wasn't the world where Justin should have been.

"It was by no means that he didn't have the pace, he was just too honourable a character. But he had every right to be a world champion."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:16 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:19 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Interviewer: "What do you do best off the track ?"
Justin: "Being a father..."

:( :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:01 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Justin Wilson's funeral was held today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3229177/Justin-Wilson-laid-rest-Northamptonshire-funeral-tributes-flood-ex-Formula-One-driver-killed-IndyCar-race-month.html

The face of his father is...well...too much. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Today I've been going through some old boxes, and found these...

The top is from the 2001 F3000 race at Barcelona, I was there for the Saturday only of the F1 weekend. The autograph is a nice find as I didn't know I had it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:48 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Julia Wilson thanks the motorsport community for all the support their family has received.

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/justin-wilson-s-widow-sends-heartfelt-appreciation//