TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 909 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 546 Next
 Post subject: Re: 2014 GP2 Season
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ptclaus98 wrote:
kals wrote:
ptclaus98 wrote:
He's won in every series he's entered. I didn't say he was a world beater, but he has won. And yes, I see Britons on other sites let out groans at the mention of his name no matter what the situation. I just think it's weird when that he has drawn such ire. He's not Sergio Canamasas or Jake Rosenzwieg. He's a decent midfielder and he's earned his spot in GP2. So the fuck what if DAMS wants to run him? Somebody has to pay the bills.

Well pardon me (and the rest of us) for having an educated opinion about a particular British driver.

He's won in other series? Yes, the ones owned and operated by his father...

Wasn't aware Jonny boy owned GP2, where Jolyon has won twice.

Ermmm...

"Won in other series, meaning "other than GP2"... ;)

But I didn't ask my question properly first time round. You mentioned he'd won in every series he's entered, and my question was supposed to be "Has Palmer won in other series?".

From what I saw this year Palmer won twice, plus he won once in 2012. So that's three wins not two. Chilton also won a few races in GP2. Many other sub-par drivers have also won in GP2. It is all meaningless in the end. Those two are simply fillers (in my opinion). If teams want to take them and their money then that's their prerogative. But I don't need to be supportive of it, nor do I need to temper my opinion.

In my opinion, Rossi is more deserving of a top line seat. All Palmer is doing is depriving an actual talented driver of a proper chance to show his ability.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:32 pm 
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion

phil1993 wrote:
My point though is that GP2 is supposed to house the young guns who are the best talents ready for Formula 1.

Ready for F1 or have potential for F1? I think we need to see what drivers can do over a few years. So this series will have people who maybe don't look there yet because they might get there.
Palmer is a sort of useful example in the sense that he really looked poor a few years ago but looks much better now. Ok, I don't think he is going to be a F1 star of the future (or even F1 driver) but he has improved and that's my point. We will see drivers from other junior series come to GP2 (and WSbR) where they have the chance to develop. A year is not enough for most, only the exceptional drivers will show it in that time.
Someone we see at 20 might make mistakes and we could question their seat but by 22 might be showing something special. It's a difficult thing to judge and the best teams get the right people by getting it right (just as in any other sport).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Oh I agree, but GP2 should be a finishing school. National F3 level is a sort of first major step, then perhaps GP3. GP2 should be when all the rough edges are refined and a driver shows that they are ready for Formula 1, after one or two seasons. There are exceptions, but mostly drivers either manage to show it within a year or two or just plodder on. If you haven't shown it by then, go and try another series because you might be better at it. Most of the guys in GP2 will have a very good career, just not in Formula 1. That's good in itself, but it's not really what GP2 is trying to sell itself as.

GP2 teams aren't stupid and they know when a driver has talent. But their hands are tied by budget. Russian Time employed two very good drivers who had very little budget, won the teams title and almost won the drivers title. That's how it should be...but it isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:12 pm 

You'll get no arguments on how it should be. It's such a shame. I can't think of other sports like motorsport. If you're talented at anything else you'll likely find the help. Sure you might need luck, but everyone needs a little of that. Maybe one day eh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:05 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

phil1993 wrote:
Oh I agree, but GP2 should be a finishing school. National F3 level is a sort of first major step, then perhaps GP3. GP2 should be when all the rough edges are refined and a driver shows that they are ready for Formula 1, after one or two seasons. There are exceptions, but mostly drivers either manage to show it within a year or two or just plodder on. If you haven't shown it by then, go and try another series because you might be better at it. Most of the guys in GP2 will have a very good career, just not in Formula 1. That's good in itself, but it's not really what GP2 is trying to sell itself as.

GP2 teams aren't stupid and they know when a driver has talent. But their hands are tied by budget. Russian Time employed two very good drivers who had very little budget, won the teams title and almost won the drivers title. That's how it should be...but it isn't.

Russian Time also has a shit ton of money behind them. They're running sn unsustainable business model for the love of the game. Its great, but how long will it last?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:53 am 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

I'm kinda thinking it's more like F3000 in the late 90s tbh (97ish) - an essentially self-contained series with its own culture, its own fans, and its own established regular drivers (none of whom want to give up driving in GP2, it seems), which in part made it very difficult to graduate to F1 directly from. It doesn't quite have the quirks of F3000, like the open entry system or a separate calendar, but as was the case back then, the chances are most of these drivers will end up in some kind of closed-wheel racing

I think there's a similar standard of driver too. You may get one really good driver per year, which the F1 teams will pick up on, but broadly speaking, if you look at the 1997 F3000 grid and the 2013 GP2 grid, the vast majority of the drivers aren't particularly exciting - Montoya aside, none of those guys are capable of being F1 champions (apart from as a team boss, of course), and if you're going to graduate to F1 these days without enormous backing you have to at least show flashes of being capable of that

We may talk about certain drivers being a little better than others but this has been quite an average couple of years for GP2 (and junior series generally), so I don't think you can hold it against someone like Palmer, a race winner in the last two seasons, getting a good drive when there are very few young drivers out there who would do a considerably better job. He's not going to bomb completely and that's probably what DAMS want given that there's a lack of real star quality at the moment

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I know you're not going to get the best 26, because that's always unfeasible. But back when the series began you had the likes of Rosberg and Hamilton racing in the category. Formula 1 teams, for all their failings, usually recognise the best young talents. McLaren never considered GP2 for Magnussen; they're hesitant about putting Vandoorne in there, while Red Bull doesn't want to put their youngsters in GP2. Ferrari prefers FR3.5 for Marciello.

The likelihood is that you'll always have similar groupings in GP2 in terms of relative ability, but the guys at the front are no longer the best young talents. That's the bigger problem. GP2 is selling itself as the best junior series for the next F1 drivers and getting the relevant TV coverage and status as an F1 support package - but you're only as good as the opposition. Yes, the guys in 2013 did well comparatively, but five of 2012's top six didn't race in GP2 in 2013 - so you've suddenly got a massive void. There was talent in 2013, don't get me wrong, but there was too little of it.

I also disagree that there's a lack of star quality - it's out there, spread across several categories, but it's stagnated to an extent in GP2. Mitch Evans did well but he was limited by being a rookie and having a donut for a team-mate, while Daniel Abt's team turned into idiots and when they didn't, he had some sort of hilariously bad luck. Frijns, da Costa... it's out there, but the situation is such that they can't progress properly.

One big issue is that since 2005, F1 has dropped Imola, Europe [Nurby/Valencia], France and Turkey, so that's four rounds gone for GP2.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:05 pm 

phil1993 wrote:
I also disagree that there's a lack of star quality - it's out there, spread across several categories, but it's stagnated to an extent in GP2. Mitch Evans did well but he was limited by being a rookie and having a donut for a team-mate, while Daniel Abt's team turned into idiots and when they didn't, he had some sort of hilariously bad luck. Frijns, da Costa... it's out there, but the situation is such that they can't progress properly.

How many of these are capable of being successful in F1, though? And when I say successful, I mean winning races and potentially championships

Someone like Hamilton was clearly very special. Rosberg was at least going to be a competitive F1 driver, ditto Glock. But after that, it was getting silly how certain drivers were hanging around for too long - it all started with Di Grassi making two further attempts at the championship after finishing 2nd in 2007. It set a precedent: if you're experienced and competitive in GP2, and make yourself available, you'll get a good drive. That undid all the work GP2 did in separating itself from F3000 - it turned it into a team-centred championship instead of a driver-centred one

If GP2 wants to be taken seriously by F1, I'd suggest the best thing they could do is to put a limit on the amount of seasons a driver can race in the series for - the likes of Di Grassi, Filippi and Valsecchi racing in the series for as long as they please is basically taking the piss. At the moment, the teams are hiring the best drivers available for their own benefit, instead of for the benefit of the drivers themselves which is what it should be. That needs to be stopped. Yes, you might get a few grid-fillers but you will be able to see a good driver straight away, instead of waiting three or four years. It's slowing the whole process up

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

James B wrote:
How many of these are capable of being successful in F1, though? And when I say successful, I mean winning races and potentially championships

If GP2 wants to be taken seriously by F1, I'd suggest the best thing they could do is to put a limit on the amount of seasons a driver can race in the series for - the likes of Di Grassi, Filippi and Valsecchi racing in the series for as long as they please is basically taking the piss. At the moment, the teams are hiring the best drivers available for their own benefit, instead of for the benefit of the drivers themselves which is what it should be. That needs to be stopped. Yes, you might get a few grid-fillers but you will be able to see a good driver straight away, instead of waiting three or four years. It's slowing the whole process up

I think Frijns, da Costa, Evans and Abt could all be capable of winning in Formula 1.

But I totally agree with your main point. In the time between Leimer making his GP2 debut and winning the title, Sergio Perez finished runner-up in GP2, made his F1 debut, got podiums, moved to a top team and was sacked.

When you think about, GP2 has hurt several drivers - such as Frijns - who evidently have natural talent but don't have the money nor experience of other GP2 drivers. Rather than help him get to F1, the series has done the opposite.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Calendar published

11-12-13 March Yas Marina, UAE Test
19-20-21 March Sakhir, Bahrain Test

04-06 April Sakhir, Bahrain Race
09-11 May Barcelona, Spain Race
22-24 May Monte Carlo, Monaco Race
20-22 June Spielberg, Austria Race
04-06 July Silverstone, Great Britain Race
18-20 July Hockenheim, Germany Race
25-27 July Budapest, Hungary Race
22-24 August Spa-Francorchamps, Bel. Race
05-07 September Monza, Italy Race
10-12 October Sochi, Russia Race
21-23 November Yas Marina, UAE Race

So, in order to cut the costs, no races in Malaysia or Singapore. Two Middle East races, rest in Europe (which has two more rounds now, thanks to addition of Austria and Russia)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:22 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

That's a very good calendar. GP2 in Austria should be amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

GP2 should be amazing everywhere, not just one circuit that hasn't been used for a tier 2 single seater formula in over 10 years :p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:45 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
GP2 should be amazing everywhere, not just one circuit that hasn't been used for a tier 2 single seater formula in over 10 years :p

Yeah, well, I love that circuit :p

Hopefully Austria/Russia will be cheaper than Malaysia/Singapore so that there'll be reduced costs & better drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I love the Osterreichring, whereas I've always despised the A1-Ring / Red Bull Ring. And I went there for the GP in 1998.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:48 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

It's a good track in it's own right and if it was built from scratch, a lot of people would praise it. It just has nowhere near as much character as the original. It's the same as Hockenheim, really.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yep. While I do despise it, I'd rather have A1-Ring on the calendar than the soul-less tracks in Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:58 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Rene Binder at Arden...............

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:16 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Arthur Pic will race for Campos.

It means the Pics become the first siblings to race in GP2. Arthur will also race for the team that replaces the team with whom Charles raced.

I know, don't all be amazed at once.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:18 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ferrari confirms Marciello will be in GP2 this season.

They've yet to confirm a team although Racing Engineering would be a smart bet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:24 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

ART confirms a tie-up with McLaren and Honda, Vandoorne joins
http://www.gp2series.com/News-Room/News ... rand-Prix/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 909 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 546 Next