TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Before the split, Indycar was holding it's own with 1.8-2.0 ratings for all races outside of Indy and 10+ for Indy itself.

After the split, cut those in half... On a good day.

There are far too many problems to list or narrow it down to.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Hotdogger wrote:
One of the main stumbling block for the series is that it is always going to be seen as too 'foreign' by mainstream Americans. The cars and tracks are still a mostly non-American concept, and most of the drivers are foreign and not particularly big international names either, more well known for being F1 rejects than anything else. Just throwing in a few oval races apart from the 500 isn't really going to fix that either but can't hurt.

Sure, CART was 'like that' too but it carried on rolling the ball that was initiated during the USAC glory days, retaining all of the great home grown names like Andretti, Foyt, Rutherford, etc., but it was fast becoming more and more foreign as the 80s rolled on, in terms of drivers and tracks. The traditional ladder system of midgets and sprints was gone and now you had to either go to Europe or run Atlantics or something to get in. So you suddenly appeared in the top series after spending years in ladder series that most Americans don't follow, whereas in NASCAR, you can follow an up and comer's progress nicely from K&N to trucks and Nationwide all the way to Cup. Look how the 'legend' of Kyle Larson is already forming so well even before he gets to Cup, for example.

Even if the split had not happened, it was only a matter of time, I believe, before the series would have fallen behind NASCAR in terms of American appeal anyway but would have thrived abroad quite well, perhaps even challenging F1 but of course, the split reduced its appeal to both American and global fans at the same time and started its overall downfall.

Do Americans not want to watch the competition of the best in the world, or would they rather watch the competition of the best Americans?
(I'm guessing that might end up as a rhetorical question.....or is it secret third answer: they'd rather the competition between Americans was the best in the world so they'll just watch that and pretend it is anyway?) :?

Anyway feel free to chime in on this one, I'm not making any political point, just curious really.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

We need to ask why names like Foyt, Andretti, Unser, Mears, Rahal, and even Zanardi (although to a lesser extent) garnered the support of so many people. Were the Andrettis, Unsers, and Rahal...charismatic in a good way? I don't think they were, except maybe Bobby Unser. :D

Zanardi and Foyt are/were though. Mears was just a legend though.

I think generational differences have a lot to do with it. That said, people like Hinchcliffe and Newgarden are a step in the right direction.

IndyCar needs to get rid of the perceived amateurish stigma as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:59 pm 

codename_47 wrote:
Do Americans not want to watch the competition of the best in the world, or would they rather watch the competition of the best Americans?

NASCAR's answer to reviving its ratings issue is its "boys have at it" policy. And it may be working.
Americans (maybe others too) don't want racing, they want a reality show on wheels. :p

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:29 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

Andy Murray might appear to have the personality of cold porridge (personally I think he's probably shy, maybe not naturally expressive), but he's Scottish and he's successful, and I think that counts for a lot.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13