TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:30 pm 

Beezle wrote:
GWC is like sex with your sister. It may be fun but it's wrong!

:8:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LOLWUT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:06 pm 

Beezle wrote:
And: Who really wants a Indianapolis 512.5 Mile Race?

Your sister as in not your own sister but the sister of the person who is reading that line i hope... :ohmy:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:09 pm 

If the drivers are so hotheaded that they destroy their cars in their attempts to drive the last couple of laps then that's their own fault!

They're all supposed to be world class drivers, let's stop bloody "protecting" them from themselves. They should be capable of a degree of self control.

Given the opportunity to race for a couple of laps to finish in potentially a higher position, they should also be capable of driving with a sane head and making sane moves...it could be someone's chance to grab a win.

If they decide to drive like idiots and crash into each other then so be it - nobody is forcing them to drive like maniacs, right?

Even if they did one attempt at a green flag finish, and it was more of a "Yellow/White" flag finish, where the yellow ends and at the same time they drop the white flag, and it was a single-file restart, it would be so much better than just throwing the yellow with 3 laps to go and it all finishing in such a dull way.

At least that way they have one lap to try and finish under green, and if someone decides to be stupid and throws it up the inside and spins someone in front of the pack and there's a traffic jam, well....that's racing, and if they're at the back of the pack, then the front of the pack can continue on their way to the green.

Someone will be playing it safe or get tremendously lucky and will find their way through and take a surprise win.

Cannot see any reasons for that not being implemented, to be honest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:18 pm 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Funny thing is that had Pagenaud let Newgarden through or Newgarden backed off, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

GWC finishes are a dumb idea even in stock cars. Completely throws out the basic concept of a fixed race length which has always been core to racing, and any fuel or tyre strategy along with it. Everyone expects it to all come down to the last lap every race now, but do you really need to continually fuck over the guy who's leading because the drivers behind stack it up? If you feel ripped off by that I don't know what to say.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Beezle wrote:

GWC only in the Brazil race, then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:41 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

GWC is a decent idea for stock cars, where they can rub a bit during some last lap insanity. Putting it in Indycar would just be an absolute way to see multiple versions of the end of this race, only with more destroyed cars as the result.

It would be a very stupid idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Agreed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:30 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

Gabriel wrote:
Beezle wrote:

GWC only in the Brazil race, then.

da fuq?!? :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:03 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Hi-Lites. IndyCar delivers...again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Entertaining race. Fantastic drive from Kimball.

I'd also be against GWC in Indycar (I could tolerate it on one of the ovals where we're used to seeing close finishes, I suppose). The last restart screwed Bourdais out of a great result, as well as a few others. Do we need to see several repeats of that until there's 5 cars left?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why don't they throw a red when there's an incident in the final 10 laps instead of keeping the cars circling around behind the safety car? They could have done that yesterday, restart with 2 laps to go, 1 lap behind the safety car and a 1 lap dash to the flag.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:16 pm 

cookie wrote:
Why don't they throw a red when there's an incident in the final 10 laps instead of keeping the cars circling around behind the safety car? They could have done that yesterday, restart with 2 laps to go, 1 lap behind the safety car and a 1 lap dash to the flag.

This is a better alternative, by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:18 pm 

Something that I suggested too, if anybody noticed ;)....

Tom wrote:
Even if they did one attempt at a green flag finish, and it was more of a "Yellow/White" flag finish, where the yellow ends and at the same time they drop the white flag, and it was a single-file restart, it would be so much better than just throwing the yellow with 3 laps to go and it all finishing in such a dull way.

I just think that, if I were a paying fan, the main part of the race I would come to see is the finish, with hopefully my favourite driver fighting for the win to the end and passing on the last lap or simply taking the win miles ahead of everyone...

I'd feel short-changed if they threw a yellow with 3 laps to go and no attempts at all were made to finish it under green.

Someone earlier said it's not for entertainment...yes it is, in fact, that's exactly what it is. Without the entertainment, there'd be no fans, without the fans, there'd be no Indycars.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I know that we're used to seeing last lap passes for the win on some of the old ovals, but that's rarely going to happen on a road/street course. When it does happen (say Kimi at Suzuka 2005, 1982/1992/2006/2011 Indy 500s, or the final of the British Superbikes last year), it's a race that lives long in the memory. One that we might sit down and watch again and again. If it happens every week? Not so special.

GWC would guarantee last lap crashes and battles for the win, but I think we'd soon find it boring. What if your favourite driver dominated the race, deserved to win, and then gets put into the wall on the final restart? Nobody wants to see a race end under caution, but I'd take that over a farcical finish with the leader being divebombed and half the field being taken out.

As a fan, I really wanted to see Charlie Kimball win this race, but not at the expense of Hunter-Reay, who thoroughly deserved it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 pm 

If other drivers want to be idiots and divebomb and take people out or if people put themselves in stupid places on the track wildly defending positions then so be it...the rules and regs, if enforced consistently and fairly, should begin to make wayward drivers fall into line, if not angry team bosses threatening that one more stupid throw-it-away move will see the contract being torn up early, and the professionalism should be stepped up.

Saying that, Sato is still in a seat, so perhaps I'm being hopelessly niave there. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:15 am 

Tom wrote:
Someone earlier said it's not for entertainment...yes it is, in fact, that's exactly what it is. Without the entertainment, there'd be no fans, without the fans, there'd be no Indycars.

Careful with where we are going with this... elsewise we'll be getting into Bruton Smith territory and advocating mandatory cautions to bunch up the field.

Why not enforce banger rules or throw the Indy folks into a figure 8 track? It'd be entertaining or something. :p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:26 pm 

I fall well before the line of competition cautions and the like.

Figure 8 racing should be for fuckin' proper Yank V8 tin tops anyway :thumbsup:.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:04 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Not every GWC ends in a LOLfest, most are standard enough and it's only really the plate races that go batshit insane.

But yeah, Champcar brought in a rule where if there was anything caution worthy in the late stages of a race then they'd red flag it instead of wasting laps behind the safety car.
Seems like the most logical thing to do in this situation.

(Can only really remember Vancouver 2002 being subject to this actually happening though, after a big enough pile up with only a few laps to go meant there were cars everywhere and it was red flag or end under yellow)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next