TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:23 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

rhashana wrote:
Speaking of riots, one's about to happen because Wilson and Carepenter's cars weren't legal and they were give slap-on-the-wrist fines instead of being DQ'd. "Popular win" > "making a mockery of the sport, again".

WTF? First Randy leaks momentum-killing news the day before Indy that owners want him out, then after what almost everyone says was a great race they dick around with blatant rules violations. You couldn't be more stupid if you tried.

That's the NASCAR way of doing things, if you pass the finish line first, you win.
If you cheated, you can pay another way.

It's far better for average Joe than the FIA way of doing things, the number of casual viewers I know that were left confused as to why Schumacher didn't start on pole in Monaco is a classic example.

Besides, don't the cars go through pre-race checks? So someone in an official capacity missed it rather than them just blatant cheating.

@
Woodski
of course yes, my comment was in relation to the lack of spectators for the Truck race, which you'd think would attract a larger crowd than the Indycars, given where the event was being held.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:39 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

But the question I would ask is if the fines were representative of the seriousness of the offenses?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Depends whether the parts were on the car during scrutineering.

Quote:
The pieces in question were legal for the Indianapolis 500, but were not allowed to be used Saturday night at Texas.

Sugests that they were, and someone missed them.

Plus.... Ed would be bankrupt if they were, surprised he didn't get fined for his whining on the radio during the race, NASCAR usually come down pretty hard... ah, wrong organising body :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:47 am 

Ian-S wrote:
It's far better for average Joe than the FIA way of doing things, the number of casual viewers I know that were left confused as to why Schumacher didn't start on pole in Monaco is a classic example.
2 problems with that:
1. There are more "fans" than "causal fans", and the number of "fans" is not that much to begin with. Piss them off and have them talk bad about the series and that's a quick way to kill what you have.
2. In NASCAR the money is big. In IndyCar you basically pay to play. If the playing field isn't fair, why bother?
Quote: Mike Conway on Twitter today (now deleted) "@Mikeconwayindy @IndyCar where does this end? We may as well all run illegal if your only going to dish out fines..."

Ian-S wrote:
Besides, don't the cars go through pre-race checks? So someone in an official capacity missed it rather than them just blatant cheating.
It can be both. IndyCar issued a tech bulletin at some time last week to the teams specifically to outlaw the piece found on Wilson's car after the race. It was legal @ Indy but to restrict pack racing and increase safety had to be removed at Texas. Amazingly Speedtv's marshall pruett took a photo of the piece on Wilson's car earlier before first practice and he says HE BELIEVES it went through Tech three times like that and it wasn't caught. It coudl be that they took it off before Tech and put it back on after, thinking a top 3 finish was unlikely and they wouldn't get caught.

If it's true it went through 3x and wasn't caught, that's pathetic especially when the part the Tech inspectors should have been checking on every car due to the tech bulletin. But even if they missed it, unfortunately it doesn't mean "the car is legal before it should be legal now". It just means lots of people should be punished!

kals wrote:
But the question I would ask is if the fines were representative of the seriousness of the offenses?
They didn't fine the driver or dock him points, it was a team penalty. But the part was made illegal for safety and performance reasons. Cheating on safety should be a very serious offence, and the penalty even from a team standpoint is a joke. We don't know that half the field didn't cheat. What if they had? Should the fine be any less just because one or 2 cars were found to have cheated?

Pruett says performance-wise it didn't make a difference but if it gave Wilson a different amount of downforce to other cars who followed the rule, then who is he to say? He won by a relatively big gap but what if it'd been 1 car length? Would Pruett say it didn't make a difference then?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:19 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Has anyone explained yet, what was the difference between the "sidepod top deck aerodynamic element" with the one used in Texas and the one used at Indy?

I found it hard to see any difference between Wilson's car and others.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:28 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

I have to assume race damage (hence the lenient fine).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:46 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

It's the carbon bit between the exhaust outlet and the sidepod hump.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:02 am 

Jon Beekhuis explains the differences between Indy car & Texas car in this video:

I explain here: can't see on first look, am blinded by the Dallara's ugliness.

The sidepod top deck cover (Wilson's infraction, his was found on the car) --
JB in the video wrote:
First, turning to the top of the sidepod, a sidepod top deck cover. Doesn't look like much.. you may not run them here, that takes away downforce and adds quite a bit of drag
If taking them away makes the car slower (due to more drag) and less easy to drive in the corners (less downforce, car doesn't stick to the track so much), then having it on the car makes the car faster and easier to drive.

The rear wing wicker (Carpenter's infraction, his was taller than regulation) --
JB in the video wrote:
And finally, yes, the rear wing. The rear wing angle we've mentioned is key to speed and to downforce... blahblahblah .... but look how sensitive these cars are. This little wicker was added just before the final practice. Will Power says just by adding this, it tips the car over between being a car you can drive flat out, or one that you have to lift, showing these cars are ULTRA-SENSITIVE aerodynamically.

Look again at an earlier post-race article by Marshall Pruett:
MP wrote:
Most drivers suffered ill-handling cars at some point during the contest, falling back, getting sideways then falling back, or, in some cases, spinning and crashing. For those like Wilson who avoided the peaks and valleys, the 550 km race paid off just as he'd hoped it would.

The key to finishing could be found by pushing close to the edge of adhesion--and possibly straying over it for brief periods--without living on the ragged edge.
Oversteer was the most common handling trait, with numerous drivers drifting through the corners at over 210 mph.

And here's part of the Texas race recap on Ed Carpenter's website:
EC's site wrote:
Starting 19th in the 24-car field, the owner/driver of Ed Carpenter Racing made his way to the top ten by lap 37 after a solid pit stop by the ECR crew. And Carpenter continued his charge to the top five by lap 67.

At the 100th lap, the Butler University grad began challenging the likes of Graham Rahal, James Hinchcliffe and eventual race winner Justin Wilson. He slipped past Hinchcliffe for third on lap 111 and set his sights for second.

After having to pit on lap 119, Carpenter slid back to sixth but drove up to third ten laps later......
It continues "But by lap 137, Ed felt a vibration in his Dallara chassis" and he had to pit and went a lap down. He finished 12th, and was fined $5000 for his illegal performance-enhancing part and his team docked 1 owner point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That cover is a drag co-efficient device, slapped on to increase the top speeds at Indy where the car was failing miserable, I'd say it's doubtful that it produces more downforce, it's not even shaped properly to do that, given how little downforce they were running at Texas, having a higher top speed might not have been a good thing.

Ed's "modification" would have been far more beneficial, although I did't get the "it made the difference between the car being drivable and not" statement in the pre-race unless they got the wording the wrong way round, cos usually sticking those flaps on increases downforce (hence why special Ed did it), it doesn't decrease it and make the car harder to drive (unless of course you put them on the bottom of the wing, which they didn't), then again, maybe Indycar managed to changed the laws of physics :lol:

About the way punishments are handed out, the FIA way of doing it is beyond stupid, NASCAR/INDYCAR isn't perfect either, but it's far better than the "carried forward" way the FIA do it, just exclude them from the result and take their prize money instead of handicapping them in the next race.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:57 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Ok, thanks for the pics and the video.

It's not much that Dale Coyne team did wrong, but when they had such a solid run, it makes you wonder if that made the difference.

What really is amazing, is that the car passed inspections three times!

I hope they check the regulations now to be more clear and make sure that the penalties for breaking them are justified.

Had this kind of penalty been given to a Indianapolist 500 winner (not just Dario, generally speaking), where the prize money and visibility are way higher, it would have caused a massive credibility problem for the series. Now we're just back at the New Hampshire 2011.

(Picture related)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So I've finally caught up with the race, and I'll add myself to the list of people that like the new aero package. At the start I wasn't too sure; it almost seemed too spread out. As the race wore on, you could really see how much more of a handful the cars were. I don't know if it was a little difficult to follow another car in the corners, but you could pass around the outside anyway, so yay. Cracking finish to the race as well. What a shame for Graham.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The only person in the western hemisphere who disagrees with you/us/etc. is special Ed....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:52 am 

Nobody cares about what he thinks, anyway.

Tho, I'm proud that I have a picture taken with him (by him, I mean cardboard cutout).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22