TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: USAC Racing
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:13 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Are you also bored by the lack of excitement in NASCAR? Has your oval racing fix not gotten satisfied by todya's Indy 500?

Well, luckily, USAC has started to post race highlights on Youtube. I wish they could a bit more coverage on TV, but this will do for a while!

The Night Before the 500 midget race was a good 'un!

Post subject: Re: USAC Racing
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

open wheel short track racing is freaking awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:36 am 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

What needs to come back is Thursday Night Thunder. One of the best shows ESPN ever produced.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:16 pm 

I will definitely will be on the look for more videos that USAC posts. Great racing. Much prefer Sprint Cars to run without wings.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:32 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

dicksplaash wrote:
I will definitely will be on the look for more videos that USAC posts. Great racing. Much prefer Sprint Cars to run without wings.

I prefer them to run on dirt personally. Why do you prefer no wings though?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:46 am 

Starlancer wrote:
dicksplaash wrote:

One thing is that they look better, another is that, from what I've heard, they are too fast with wings to run 1 mile ovals, like Indiana State Fairgrounds.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dicksplaash wrote:
Starlancer wrote:
dicksplaash wrote:

One thing is that they look better, another is that, from what I've heard, they are too fast with wings to run 1 mile ovals, like Indiana State Fairgrounds.

WAY too fast with the wing to run the 1 mile ovals. Billy Pauch still has the Syracuse Mile track record at 155+... Set almost 20 years ago. They'd easily be into the 160MPH range average around the mile's.

The winged 410 sprints are so fast that they have a hard time passing, which means there isn't a whole lot of racing going on. USAC sprints and Silver Crown are like driving a school bus on ice, which usually means the racing is pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:24 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:00 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

That's brutal. Leading the race with two to go only to have something break.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:49 pm 

Some awesome racing from Eldora last month:

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBX123YBz7Q[/youtubeidiot]

Which confirms how awesome Tony Stewart is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:01 am 

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvzBkyVEko[/youtubeidiot]

Includes Kyle Larson's huge crash in the sprint car race.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:15 pm 

Quote:
Great test yesterday at Gateway Motorsports Park for the Traxxas Silver Crown Series, its our plan to have GMP on the 2013 schedule, stay tuned for other exciting announcements to come......

Would be pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:52 pm 
The most anticipated member

I don't follow much these midgets races...perhaps it's just a stupid prejudice but it doesn't seem interesting at all. But I'll try to watch more from now on.

A little off topic but I was wondering one of these days what's the reason why can't somebody buy a set of old IRL cars (old Dallaras and Panoz G-Force) and run a late models series inspired by IRL's early days? The goal is not making a competition to rival IndyCar or something like that, it'd be just a late models series for fun. Like for example there are late models series in NASCAR, why can't they do the same with IRL cars? Add some short ovals and done, you have an interesting late model series. Just like Euroboss but for ovals.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

J.Morelli wrote:
I don't follow much these midgets races...perhaps it's just a stupid prejudice but it doesn't seem interesting at all. But I'll try to watch more from now on.

Sprint cars, Silver Crown cars, and Midget cars all have some of the best oval racing on the planet. Unfortunately they have next to zero television coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dan Belcher wrote:
J.Morelli wrote:

Sprint cars, Silver Crown cars, and Midget cars all have some of the best oval racing on the planet. Unfortunately they have next to zero television coverage.

lol usac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:05 am 

Dan Belcher wrote:

I miss Thursday / Saturday Night Thunder.

That is all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Some off season rumblings.

Robert Ballou has found a ride with the Baldwin Brothers #5 and he is currently trying to find a Motor for his own #12 car so he can run some wing races when time allows.

Brian Clauson will be driving for Tony Stewart. That is confirmed.

Levi Jones will probably not run anymore. Going to focus on the Rural King franchises that his father manages/maybe owns?

Jon Stanbrough may or may not be reuniting with legendary car owner Paul Hazen. I believe Paul is 76 or 77 now. If he does not run for Paul it is rumored he might be going to Brian Clauson's old car.

Chris Windom is still ride less I believe. I think the car he was linked with is going to be driven by someone else if I remember correctly. I don't know if the family will try fielding there own cars again or try to use the family money and get him some K&N races under his belt.

Dave Darland has a ride with the Phillips 71. I believe this is only for local shows and the big Usac races. Darland was let go by Jeff Walker again cause Justin Grant is bringing cash to Walker racing. Dave also has a part time Midget ride in the 69 Fike entry and might be driving for Foxco in the Silver Crown Series.

Justin Grant is rumored to reunite with Jeff Walker Racing this year. Last time he drove for Jeff this happened, shot by yours truly.

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlYSEya6x3Q[/youtubeidiot]

Rumor has it that Keith Kunz might field a car for Rico Abreu.

Brady Bacon will be driving the Hoffman 69. Hoffman's will sometimes have a 2nd entry just like in years past as an R&D type entry.

One of these days I'm going to sit down here and rant long and hard about USAC and there lack of television/media coverage.

Last edited by Racefan4ever on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

J.Morelli wrote:

A little off topic but I was wondering one of these days what's the reason why can't somebody buy a set of old IRL cars (old Dallaras and Panoz G-Force) and run a late models series inspired by IRL's early days? The goal is not making a competition to rival IndyCar or something like that, it'd be just a late models series for fun. Like for example there are late models series in NASCAR, why can't they do the same with IRL cars? Add some short ovals and done, you have an interesting late model series. Just like Euroboss but for ovals.

Late Models are completely different than just "old cars."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Interesting slightly off topic tidbit, USAC is now the sanctioning body for RallyAmerica. Previously done by the SCCA for quite some time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is a quote from "Tony Stewart" on another board. It has been rumored to actually be him, but really who knows. The back story is Tony ran an indoor midget race a week ago and put on "controversial" square fuel tanks on it. This is the same kind of tank Sammy Swindell runs at the Chilli Bowl. It supposedly has an areo advantage on bigger tracks when you pitch the car in sideways on dirt. The indoor track at Fort Wayne is so small (and paved) that there is no possible way that there would be any kind of advantage that I could see personally.

Quote:
To Mr. Don Moore, I've raced at Ft. Wayne for a long time now and there is one thing that is very obvious. If you spent HALF as much time working on your car as you do bitching about mine, you might have a car that doesn't spin out 5 times per night. I will have my conventional tail tank back on for next years races. I didn't really like the way the new tank looked anyway but knew you would throw a fit over it like you do about everything on my car. I would love to know what else you are going to complain about so i have time to fix it before next years races as well. And for the record, I bought the car from Mike for 15k and the same amount for the car Mike is driving. Im currently buying another munchkin that has recently come up for sale. What i am willing to do is LOAN you the car to enter this coming year free of charge. You can set it up as you like, or i will be more than willing to set it up for you. I understand by watching your car that you sometimes struggle with setups. Please let me know at your earliest convenience if you are interested. As a fellow car owner for two WoO teams, a USAC sprint team, And two silver crown teams i also understand the concern over the cost of open wheel racing. But rest assured, i'm not winning races with a 22yr old car because i spend more than everyone else. If you have paid any attention over the last 6yrs that i've owned the two cars, you would have noticed that any of the parts that we have replaced on the cars are over the counter parts that are available to anyone. Every year around this time everyone has to listen to you bitch about everyone's cars (or mine in particular). I love this sport and most of the people involved, but this has gone on long enough. So again, i will loan you a car next year if you would like. If not, then shut up once and for all and quit whining. Sincerely, Tony Stewart

This is the topic in question http://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=65387