TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7108 Next

Who is the better driver?
Dario Franchitti 20%  20%  [ 18 ]
Mark Plourde 80%  80%  [ 74 ]
Total votes: 92
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Excellent. There's no need to keep unprofessional people.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:36 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

I can see in Miller's quote that there's still a chance that it's just an opinion that there should be a new chief steward. Miller's comment is short and precise.

But again, huge kudos for Bernard if this he kicks out Barnhart. He's probably frustrated how people mix up with their names, I'm sure I am.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:59 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

KV cars should look different next year without the Lotus-esque paint job.

KV Racing confirms switch to Chevrolet power
November 01, 2011
KV Racing Technology announced Tuesday that the team will be powered by the new Chevrolet IndyCar turbo V6 racing engine for the 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series season.

“I am very pleased to announce that KV Racing Technology has reached an agreement to compete with Chevrolet power during the 2012 IndyCar season,” said KVRT co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven. “Chevy has a proven history of innovation and success in motorsports and we look forward to continuing that legacy.”

Jimmy Vasser, who co-owns the team with Kalkhoven, also owns a Chevrolet dealership in Napa, Calif. The 1996 CART IndyCar champion competed with a Chevy engine for the first two years of his CART career.

“I am very excited Chevrolet is returning to IndyCar racing and that we will have the opportunity to work with them," said Vasser. "I have a long personal history with Chevrolet. My first car was a 1969 Camaro, my first podium was with a Chevy engine in 1993 at Phoenix and, I am proud to say, that I am a Chevy dealer. We look forward to a very successful relationship with Chevrolet for many years to come.”

“We are pleased to welcome KV Racing Technology to Team Chevy for the 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series," said Jim Campbell, Chevrolet U.S. vp for Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. "The team puts a high value on advanced technology, as does Chevrolet with its IndyCar engine program that uses key technologies from our production engines.  Jimmy Vasser was already part of our extended family as a Chevrolet dealer, and like our company co-founder, Louis Chevrolet, his roots run deep in racing. We're delighted to have Jimmy, Kevin Kalkhoven, and the entire KV Racing Technology organization as part of our IndyCar racing program."

There was no mention of drivers in the announcement, although its new engine supply deal evidently means the end of KV's two-year partnership with Lotus, which plans to enter IndyCar racing next year with its own branded engines. Lotus has yet to announce the signing of any teams of its own; however, the new Michael Shank Racing squad announced during the Las Vegas weekend indicated that it plans to run Lotus engines, currently under development by John Judd's Engine Developments Ltd. in the U.K.

Per RACER.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:52 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Looks like the Andretti Autosport is restoring the 2005 Indy500 winning car.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000122047544#!/photo.php?fbid=10150382012818678&set=a.374196623677.159772.259148938677&type=3&theater

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

i like the guys who posted second's idea. that would be awesome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:39 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Looks like the Dixon's have been quite the unsung heroes in the aftermath of Dan's death, massive respect for them for how they are supporting Susie, Sebasitan & Oliver

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- When Scott Dixon met his new teammate at Target/Chip Ganassi Racing after the 2005 season he wasn't quite sure what to expect. After all, Dan Wheldon was a fierce competitor and rival who had dominated the season by winning six races, including the Indianapolis 500 and the IndyCar Series championship for what was then Andretti Green Racing.

Dixon, a quiet and determined driver from Auckland, New Zealand, had won the 2003 IndyCar title, but his personality was far different than the ebullient and flamboyant Wheldon, an outgoing and talkative young lad from Emberton, England.

"It was kind of a funny relationship," Dixon said recently, when interviewed by SI.com in the wake of Wheldon's death. "When we first met we didn't actually get along that well. We were decent friends, but not until we became teammates and got through the first year in 2006. That was up and down because we didn't know how to take each other. After the 2006 season we really bonded and were really, really good friends.

"He was super close, and when we started families that kicked it up another gear. We would do holidays and hang out at the track with the kids. For me, that is the hardest part with [his widow] Susie, [his kids] Sebastian and Oliver, and Dan's family, too. He left a lot behind."

The two were once bachelors who ran together before each settled down. Dixon would marry the former Emma Davies and Wheldon would marry Susie Behm. The Dixons and the Wheldons would even become parents at relatively the same time. The Dixons had a daughter, Poppy, while the Wheldons had son Sebastian, both born two years ago. Oliver joined the Wheldon family seven months ago and the Dixons welcomed a second daughter, Tilly, on Sept. 10.

During their friendship, the two drivers enjoyed tremendous rewards on the racetrack, with Wheldon winning two Indy 500s and one series title while Dixon was a two-time IndyCar champion and the 2008 Indianapolis 500 winner.

"When you win races and you win championships, that is what defines you professionally," said Mike Hull, the managing director of Target/Chip Ganassi Racing. "But the interaction of all of us, the friendships we develop over time, that outlasts winning."

Truer words have never been spoken when describing the bond that existed between the Dixons and the Wheldons. And that is why Dixon has moved his family to St. Petersburg, Fla., for the next few months to help take care of those left behind after Wheldon was killed in a massive 15-car crash in the IndyCar Series race in Las Vegas on Oct. 16.

"We actually rented a house just down the road from Susie and will stay here for a couple months to see how she does, and what she wants to do, and if she wants to move with her parents in North Carolina or if she wants to stay here," Dixon said. "We are trying to support her. Unfortunately, in most instances like this, once the ceremony and things are over everybody kind of checks out of town. We want to remain here for her and her family."

The Dixons stepped up to offer their help shortly after the accident. Scott and Emma spent that night with Susie in her hotel room to provide care and comfort as she awaited her family's arrival from North Carolina. In the days that followed, the Dixons remained with her as she returned to St. Petersburg.

"Everybody grieves differently, but for me, in many ways, it still doesn't feel like it has hit," says Dixon. "I'm just trying to help and stay busy."

Wheldon's funeral was held in St. Petersburg on Oct. 22. The Dixons attended that and flew with the Wheldons to Indianapolis for the "Celebration of Life" that was held at Conseco Fieldhouse the following day.

Dixon and Wheldon were teammates at Target/Chip Ganassi Racing from 2006 to '08. The team did not renew Wheldon's contract after than span, replacing him instead with his close friend, Dario Franchitti. But after Wheldon left the team, his friendship with Dixon only became stronger.

"Scott Dixon was pretty good on the ovals and at the beginning, when Dan turned up, Scott and Dan were not the best of friends," Hull recalled. "But what they had in common was racing. It is what drove them together. It created a friendship that is pretty special but at the time they couldn't figure each other out. As the year went on Scott started looking at the data and said, `I don't really understand how Dan can do that. I have to work on that.' Today Scott Dixon will tell you he is better on an oval because of Dan Wheldon.

"Those two guys worked pretty good together. Dan was a teammate. He was a friend and he made it happen for us in race situations. He was one of the best things at Chip Ganassi Racing that ever happened to me."

Despite the tragedy, Dixon doesn't believe his racing style will change.

"There is no doubt you change but that is more on a personal level," Dixon explained. "For me and with Dan, we were doing the thing we loved the most. You see these things, they happen and they are always in the back of your head as a possibility, but I don't think it has changed my racing at all. I've said that to Emma. When I get in the car I love my wife and kids more than anything, but I'm not thinking about that side of things. I'm thinking about the car, I'm thinking about the race and I'm thinking about how to make the car faster. It's different once you get out of the car and you go back to the motor home and your wife and kids are there. It changes your personal life, but on the track it hasn't changed me.

"When I'm out there all I want to do is win."

Since Wheldon's death the sanity of IndyCar racing has come into question. Five-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson said those cars should no longer compete on ovals, although he later backtracked and said they shouldn't race on the high-banked 1.5-mile ovals like Las Vegas.

Despite the death of his friend, Dixon defends IndyCar but admits there is time to make it safer.

"Because of the tragedy more people are going to listen and be proactive," Dixon said. "In some ways, too, it's a reality check to show how dangerous racing is in general. It's not just IndyCar. A lot of people have spoken out of tongue too much with crazy things about not racing on ovals ever again. IndyCar is what it is and in the back of our minds we all know it is a dangerous sport.

"Even the week of the Vegas race we knew there would be big crashes and I thought the race would be stupid, but we never thought it would be like it was. ... But earlier in the week there were two things that Dan absolutely adored in his life -- that was his family and IndyCar racing. I don't think he would want to see it in the way of not ever racing on ovals again. That was his specialty.

"The guy was [expletive] good on all kinds of ovals including Indianapolis ... I don't think he would want anything like that -- not racing on ovals ever again -- to happen."

Unlike Wheldon, Dixon was more of an all-around driver who could win on street circuits, road courses and ovals. But Dixon's ability on the ovals actually improved when Wheldon was his teammate and it was something Wheldon loved to remind his former team, especially after Dixon won the A.J. Foyt Trophy as the oval champion in the IndyCar Series this past season.

"At Las Vegas we were talking before the race and he hadn't qualified well there and Scott Dixon hadn't qualified that well there and he said, `I taught Dixon everything he knows and he didn't do a very good job.' I said to Dan, `I'll make sure I pass that along,'" Hull said. "Dan asked, `Have you etched my name on the A.J. Foyt Trophy? My name needs to be on that trophy that Dixon just got because I taught him everything about oval racing.'

"Dan was always looking at helping people and getting all of us to enjoy each other. Racing was the catalyst to make that happen. I have respect for the integrity he had but more so for the friendship. Our relationship and friendship became stronger after he left us and how unusual is that?

Dixon has accumulated some incredible accomplishments in his career, including 26 IndyCar wins (27 counting his one win in CART), 17 poles, an Indianapolis 500 victory and two IndyCar titles. But those statistics pale in comparison to his measure as a man and a friend as his family is willing to be there for Susie Wheldon and her two young sons as they deal with the loss of a husband and a father.

In a sport where competitors are racing against time, Dixon has proven that true friendship can last a lifetime.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1cZdGHShq

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:05 pm 
Head Muppet

Ed Carpenter is starting his own team next year and Rahal-Letterman-Lanigan Racing is back.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... l-in-2012/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:09 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The team will be called Ed Carpenter Racing and, yes, Tony George will be a part owner.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95862

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Penske have decided to stick with Power, Helio & Briscoe for 2012:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95870

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing has ordered two Dallara DW12 chassis with the intention of fielding a team in next year's IndyCar Series.

A team spokesman confirmed to AUTOSPORT, however, that the extent and the details of the programme remain undefined.

The team has not run a full schedule in IndyCars since 2008, when Ryan Hunter-Reay scored its most recent victory at Watkins Glen.

But it has been an ever-present on the grid at Indianapolis since - it led this year's Indy 500 with Bertrand Baguette - and team co-owner Bobby Rahal has always stated that his ambition was to return to the category if he could put together a deal that made a competitive package viable.

"Things are in motion, we have purchased chassis, we are very close on an engine deal for 2012, we are not as close on a driver lineup," a team spokesman told AUTOSPORT.

"We have been talking to drivers, and our intent is to put together a quality programme for next year both in IndyCar and to defend our ALMS GT championship, but nothing is confirmed yet."

RLL also runs BMW's Motorsport programme in the ALMS GT class which scooped the drivers' (with Joey Hand and Dirk Muller) and teams titles in 2011.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95866

Looks like there should be a good grid of cars next year! those that said Indycar was dead after Las Vegas can go suck a fat one

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Randy Bernard wrote:
Who would like to see a street race in Las Vegas in 2012?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:24 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Go back to Caesar's Palace

The version CART used

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:25 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

(assuming that parking lot even still exists, can't imagine it's not either a building or a parking garage now)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:48 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
Randy Bernard wrote:
Who would like to see a street race in Las Vegas in 2012?
If its the layout ChampCar ran in 2007 then yes in 8)

Coudn't find any OnBoard's from it but you can find the full race from that circuit on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/mrFGB7bt0wI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:33 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

That track they used in 2007 was one of the best American street tracks I've seen. Everything that a street track has was in one lap.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:31 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Paul wrote:
Go back to Caesar's Palace

The version CART used

For being the worst track ever used the 1984 race was awesome. Just check the fight between Al Sr and Sneva. yay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:57 am 

They can't exactly race there if there's a building where the track used to be

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:21 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

You're right. Pools and hotels sit where the parking lot was.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:56 am 

I have an onboard from Justin Wilson at Vegas in 2007. I will upload it onto YouTube.

Here it is (thanks to Mattzel for this)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:06 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

mclaren2008 wrote:
I have an onboard from Justin Wilson at Vegas in 2007. I will upload it onto YouTube.

Here it is (thanks to Mattzel for this)

Yeah that track was great...loved the amount of jumping car pictures that one weekend generated.
Indeed I think I still have Tracy flying over the chicane as my twitter background.

There were three chicanes that year that generated massive airz, Las Vegas, Zolder and the always classic Monterrey chicane in Mexico that used to throw cars into the air and sometimes rip into the chassis.
F1 probably would've cancelled the races there after one slight airborne but the tracks attitude was "well, just slow down and be more careful if its a problem"

*sigh* Good times!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7108 Next