TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 150 51 52 53 5474 Next
 Post subject: Re: Indycar @ Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 am 

RIP Dan...
You are legend!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:26 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

rhashana wrote:
ellis wrote:
Quote:
No, it's fact.

Wheldon was not in this race because of the prize. He was in this race because he's an IndyCar driver with a part time ride. The incident had nothing to do with the prize, or the starting position. It was all about the type of racing these cars and tracks produce.
Sorry, I believe that to be fabrication.

1. Wheldon replaced Alex Tagliani in the #77 Sam Scmidt car. If he'd already found a Vegas ride as a freelance/part time entry, why put another full-time driver out of his seat? Tagliani agreed to move to another team for this race, but not because *he* wanted to. Someone gave him an incentive he couldn't refuse.

2. The incident had nothing to do with the Challenge or Wheldon's starting position but Wheldon being involved in it to the extent that he was was DIRECTLY attributable to it. The fatal crash could have happened to any driver at any position but it did not, it happened to him, in that car, in that position on track at that moment in time. Had he been given a chance to qualify or had the Challenge said he would start on Pole or in 10th place or 33rd (anywhere but 34th) the tragic outcome would in all probability be different.

Further point in my favour: as Wheldon didn't have to waste even 1 second on qualifying setup because of the 'starts last' rule set out in the Challenge, he focused on race setup and therefore, history will show, gained an amazing almost unheard of 10 places in 11/12 laps. Had he had to qualify, and for whatever reason (blown engine , crash, perhaps) started 34th, his car would almost certainly not have been so fast so early in the race.

What I was trying to get at earlier was that people who know nothing about this other than "a guy that drove racecars is dead" are looking at this and thinking that the $5 million prize somehow motivated Dan to do something stupid that he normally wouldn't do. Ok, so suddenly because of the money, a guy who won the Indy 500 twice now thinks he can win a 300 mile race in the first 20 laps? It's just a convenient way to try and move the discussion towards the topic of money and greed, the media loves that shit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:33 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
IndyCar officials have cancelled the annual championship prize-giving event following the tragic death of Dan Wheldon in the season finale at Las Vegas.

Wheldon was killed after suffering fatal injuries in a 15-car pile-up in the early stages of the race. Following news of his death, the final round of the series was cancelled and drivers took part in a five-lap tribute to the two-time Indy 500 winner.

IndyCar had originally planned to hold its 2011 Championship Celebration in Las Vegas on Monday night, but this has now been called off.

Plans are being put in place for a public memorial for Wheldon, with details due to be released once they have been finalised.

Randy Bernard, CEO of IndyCar, said: "No words can describe my feelings as I reflect on my memories of Dan. His infectious smile,bubbly personality and big heart made Dan one of the most caring people I had ever met.

"You could never ask for a better ambassador to a sport. Dan represented INDYCAR with the upmost respect and integrity. Dan will not only be immortalised as being a great racer but also a wonderful person. My prayers are with Susie and his two children in this very difficult time."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95479

I couldn't agree more with the final sentence

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Another thing:

I know some of you are going to disagree with me here, but thank god we're rid of that fucking shitbox Dallara once and for all. That car was the biggest piece of shit ever.

While I realize that any car can get airborne at such high speeds, the fucking Dallara was made for it. How many times have we seen that thing take off?

Watch this and ask yourself: Would the Dallara have stayed on the ground? If you answer yes, you're lying to yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:43 am 

Paul wrote:
What I was trying to get at earlier was that people who know nothing about this other than "a guy that drove racecars is dead" are looking at this and thinking that the $5 million prize somehow motivated Dan to do something stupid that he normally wouldn't do.
Oh, ok, I see. So they never mentioned that he won the Indy 500 this year or had 1 other time previously?

Either way, what a PR disaster. :ohmy: :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:46 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

rhashana wrote:
Paul wrote:
What I was trying to get at earlier was that people who know nothing about this other than "a guy that drove racecars is dead" are looking at this and thinking that the $5 million prize somehow motivated Dan to do something stupid that he normally wouldn't do.
Oh, ok, I see. So they never mentioned that he won the Indy 500 this year or had 1 other time previously?

Either way, what a PR disaster. :ohmy: :oops:

No they mentioned his wins, the Indy 500 is something most people have at least heard of. My point was that he knows that races aren't won on the first lap, or even the first half of the race. He didn't get himself into an accident because he was making dangerous moves on his quest for cash, he was caught up in a crash someone else started and had basically no chance to avoid.

Someone who knows nothing about racing isn't going to take any of that into account.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:57 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

RIP Dan :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:59 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Coming up bed time for me, been such a sad day, I hope I get some sleep :(

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:09 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Awful times for Susie :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:15 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Never ever thought I'd say this, but thank you Anthony Davidson.

Tearing apart the myth that the $5 million challenge was the cause of the accident or Wheldon's involvement in it.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:19 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2049949/Dan-Wheldon-crash-video-IndyCar-champion-dead-15-car-pile-Las-Vegas.html

Pretty tasteless article.

WARNING:
Photos depicting a fatal crash.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:38 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

And some pretty tasteless comments too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:44 am 

Wouldn't expect anything less from the DM and their readers. Pure scum.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:02 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Black_Jack wrote:
This was Rick Moore's first Indycar race back in attendance since his son Greg was killed...

RIP Dan

How awful.

For me, this whole experience took me right back to 1999 and how I was feeling then, so I can't begin to imagine how terrible it would have been for Greg's dad.

Wil Vincent wrote:
The BBC coverage has sickened and saddened me. Legard knows nothing, and only makes it harder to cope.

Legard obviously doesn't know anything about IndyCar, typical BBC to bring in their usual "face" who's not an expert on anything. It's likely he wouldn't have even known this race was going on until he had to talk about the sad news. Can't remember if it was the presenter or him, but one of the idiots seemed to suggest Dan storming up from the back could have had something to do with it... when clearly Dan just lost out in the game of Russian Roulette this horrible IRL pack racing is.

Fergie wrote:
Wouldn't expect anything less from the DM and their readers. Pure scum.

These people are fucking criminal to write such things...

Quote:
Father-of-two, 33, was pushed to drive harder in chase for $5million bonus race winnings

--------

...speculation that Mr Wheldon was pushing himself too hard after a difficult season.

--------

Mr Wheldon was not a regular driver this season and accepted the offer, leading to speculation this caused him to drive faster than normal.

How dare they suggest Dan had anything to do with starting this accident?! :yuk:

I have the misfortune of my parents reading the Daily Mail, so occasionally I look at it, and anything to do with racing is always sensationalist and ill-informed garbage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:07 pm 

I was wondering a couple of things... What's the status of the race? Is it abandoned? Cancelled? Delete the laps done like at Loudon? After all in an event like this, any other serious organisation would simply give points or half-points, regardless of how little everyone cares about it. There's been a tragedy, but IndyCar seems to act slowly.

And on a more reflective note... IndyCars are not made for these tracks, at least not in this configuration. OK, so we get photo-finishes? Yeah, but we get cars airborne every year, too, and cars are as safe as possible, but you can't save a 180 mph missile with the roll-bar into poles and catch fencing.

Speed is a problem but perhaps if these cars had to brake into oval corners we would not get pack racing and therefore there'd be much more room for everyone. CART cars ran at almost 250 mph at Michigan and Fontana, yet few crashes stemmed from the circumstances. Greg Moore would be here with us if not for the grass and asphalt, something that's been corrected at all ovals.

This is open-wheel racing and cars will get airborne in the future, it happens in F1, in GP2, in Indy and everywhere. But if we let them drivers have a few more seconds to react by allowing fields to spread a little, we will allow them to try and save crashes.

Looking at another case, Franchitti's flip at Michigan 2007. It happened because guys had to jostle for position to get a tow, because cars did not have enough power on their own. Compare it to the Hanford device used in CART in the 2000s, and I can't remember a flip in one of those races.

What I'm trying to say is that, there's another way of doing things, there's another way of having a show on ovals, and there are other ovals more suited to these cars. The 2012 car might have its rear wheels protected, but pointy racecars bunched up in groups of 30 will still find a way to get airborne if things go wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:18 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

tick-tock wrote:
These people are fucking criminal to write such things...

Quote:
Father-of-two, 33, was pushed to drive harder in chase for $5million bonus race winnings

--------

...speculation that Mr Wheldon was pushing himself too hard after a difficult season.

--------

Mr Wheldon was not a regular driver this season and accepted the offer, leading to speculation this caused him to drive faster than normal.

FFS :x

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:19 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Rest in Peace Dan.
It must be a very difficult time to his family, I know how it is to lose your father at an early age.

He died because of head injuries?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:30 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Without speculating on the actual injuries, Randy Bernard did describe them as "unsurvivable". The missing roll-hoop tells you all you need to know.

Jordi wrote:
The 2012 car might have its rear wheels protected, but pointy racecars bunched up in groups of 30 will still find a way to get airborne if things go wrong.

Totally agree with your whole post.

And with low quoted power figures of 550hp for ovals it seems IndyCar are still planning on having pack racing.

The Dallara does have a problem with getting airborne of its own accord, but this accident, like many others, was more to do with the manufactured pack racing at unsuitable ovals... the resulting contact would make any car fly. They need to go back to the CART style of oval racing.

Last edited by tick-tock on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:31 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

i see everything yesterday, but i don't posting here or everywhere, 'cause i believe it was a nightmare...but i'm wake and no, it's reality. I can't believe it happened. I always thinking i will never see a fatal crash anymore... I so disgusted, angry and incredibely sad...Why?

All my thoughts go to Dan's Family.

You will miss us, Dan. You're always a Champ' in our hearts.

Adieu, Champion. Tu nous manqueras terriblement! :(

Motorsport Lover since 1988
First TBK member to post it with a wiimote

Last edited by Gauthier on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:41 pm 

Terrible and tragic day for the whole motorsport world!

Just think how many fatal or very serious crashes occur when you go into the catch fence - Krosnoff, Renna, now Wheldon, but also Brack, Briscoe, Conway, Bodine...
It's maybe not the right time, but they have done so much for the safety on the ovals already - maybe the next step is to think of something that could replace those fences.

RIP Dan, forever in our memory! :(

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 150 51 52 53 5474 Next