TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 155 56 57 58 5974 Next
 Post subject: Re: Indycar @ Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

In the days of Tony George he would've been right.

Randy is different, though. Vegas is already cancelled.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:39 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't want to sound callous here, but I'm assuming - judging by the fact the monocoque was in okay state - Dan suffered massive head injuries? Sorry if anyone's offended by my asking, I just never really thought about it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:39 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

RtN wrote:

What do you mean?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:41 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 ... ours-death

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:43 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Memorial site
http://danwheldonmemorial.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:47 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

phil1993 wrote:
I don't want to sound callous here, but I'm assuming - judging by the fact the monocoque was in okay state - Dan suffered massive head injuries? Sorry if anyone's offended by my asking, I just never really thought about it.

He flew head-on into the fencing, and considering the massive mark on his helmet, I suppose that is the case. I'm not an expert of course, but if that was the case, I have a 'good' feeling in knowing that he didn't suffer much. He probably got knocked out instantly...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

dicksplash wrote:
RtN wrote:

What do you mean?

It was on the calendar for next year.

Now it isn't.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

StanV wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

He flew head-on into the fencing, and considering the massive mark on his helmet, I suppose that is the case. I'm not an expert of course, but if that was the case, I have a 'good' feeling in knowing that he didn't suffer much. He probably got knocked out instantly...

Hope so, if there is a saving grace.

Mann released from hospital
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95489

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:52 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I'm going to use was in this post because I'm hoping more than anything that the new car fixes this issue.

But the Dallara (and the Panoz before/alongside it) had a terrible aero defect caused by something called negative rake. Look it up people.
The high down force required by the IRL entertainment first regulations meant the engineers would run the car nose up to try and claw back some speed the regulations lose them
This means the car when it is disturbed takes flight a lot easier than any other machine.
And the side by side pack racing mean it gets disturbed a lot more often than others too.

I think the key crash was that backflip the Penske suffered in Indy practice after running over some debris from an already crashed car.
That happened at, what, 100mph or less? Ridiculous.

So yes, all cars take to the air, but some take to the air more often and fly a lot further than they should ever be allowed to, as a side effect of the manufacturered rules package that tries to manipulate side by side finishes.

And now I hope everyone realises its a terrible, terrible idea and needs to be changed.
If they haven't already altered the new cars to give the drivers a bit more power and a whole lot less downforce so they don't sit in one big pack all race, I hope they're making plans to do so very soon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:56 pm 

A ironic thing that i was watching the race with Senna T-shirt A vere sad moment

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

phil1993 wrote:

Spoiler'd as it may upset some people.

[spoiler]The quote that has been circulated is 'unsurvivable internal injuries'. The current working theory is that another car (presumed to be Pippa Mann's) entered the cockpit.

Obviously they tarped it because there was blood or something else visible in the cockpit, and judging by the long-lens photos of Wheldon being stretchered to the air ambulance he does not appear to be bleeding from the head, so the blood possibly came from his body.

The full story may come out at some point, it may not.[/spoiler]

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

phil1993 wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a basilar skull fracture - that's killed many racing drivers in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:58 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

RtN wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

[spoiler]The quote that has been circulated is 'unsurvivable internal injuries'. The current working theory is that another car (presumed to be Pippa Mann's) entered the cockpit.

Obviously they tarped it because there was blood or something else visible in the cockpit, and judging by the long-lens photos of Wheldon being stretchered to the air ambulance he does not appear to be bleeding from the head, so the blood possibly came from his body.

[spoiler]Okay, thanks. Judging by the amount of cars in close proximity, that isn't a surprise. Just hope he died peacefully. But the fact they said his family was beside him when he died suggests that might not have been the case... I haven't seen the pics with the blood, but I don't think I want to[/spoiler]

Last edited by phil1993 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:58 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Anway it is a very horrible way to die. I am sure however that he didn't suffer at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:01 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

A day later and it still feels the same. :cry:

I feel so bad for everyone that was at the track yesterday and to Wade Cunningham after he tweeted he was truly sorry. I hope he isn't beating himself up to badly because it was bound to happen with that kind of racing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ant Davidson tweeted this picture of him, Wheldon and Button

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

[spoiler]I've seen the replay a couple times on various news reports over the day & I think it was more likely some form of head or neck injury. Looked to me like the car went into the catchfencing pole cockpit 1st & this is what tore the rollhoop off.[/spoiler]

Also think the news reports are putting too much emphasis on the $5m bonus. He'd have raced & would have been racing through the field like he was even without the bonus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:14 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Local LV news site reports that Dan and his wife got matching tattoos at the Palms the night before the race...

http://www.lvrj.com/news/wheldon-wife-g ... 67633.html

:(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:17 pm 

If you can, download the WindTunnel episode from yesterday. Very interesting conversation between Dave Despain and Robin Miller on Indycar racing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:17 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I was watching this race, live with my girlfriend at the campground. When the story was unfloding, just like reading this intire page... I was just like all of you. Oddly, I was upset that I couldent be on "here" with the TBK family I love and sometimes hate at the same time...My emotions were and still are very overwelmed. I am at a loss, for the first time since Dale died in 2001. To my TBK family members... be strong, we, the world are all in this together. Dan was an amazing man, and he died doing what he loved to do. I will keep this short as I am very emotional as I type this. I will end, with a farewell to dan... you will be missed! RIP Dan Weldon.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 155 56 57 58 5974 Next