TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 164 65 66 67 68116 Next
 Post subject: Re: GP3 series
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:58 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ryan86 wrote:
ptclaus98 wrote:
ryan86 wrote:
See I don't see a car without a rear wing running around 5 seconds off the pace as necessary unfit for racing. I certainly see it less dangerous than Vergne and Perez trying to get back to the pits minus wheels/suspension etc at 40mph this afternoon.

JEV and Perez weren't trying to block other drivers. That's a terrible parallel to make.

I think there's two different issues here though.

i) Should a car with an issue ( brakes/wing/tyres/engine) whatever that slows it by about 5-7% be allowed to continue?

For me, part of motor racing should be driving around the problems presented to you. Now, as long as the lack of a rear wing didn't lead to a performance increase, and there's is pieces on his car ready to fall off and hit someone, then I think they should be allowed to continue. Same as if his tyres were shot or his gearbox or engine had a small fault. So I don't have problem with that aspect. Perez and Vergne tried to drag machinery shedding parts, that had problems turning and could only be driven at a snails pace back to the pits. So, yes I think that's more dangerous or penalty-worthy than a car that can still lap semi-competatively. In percentage terms he can't have been that much more uncompetitive that Jean Alesi will be tomorrow?

A) There is a difference between "driving around the issues presented to you" and defending your position with a terminally ill car. You keep on bringing up JEV and Perez, who were both probably trying to keep their cars off the racing line as much as possible and doing what they could to get out of other driver's way and back to the pits. Suranovich was repeatedly shown the black and orange flag. He repeatedly ignored them, and continued the race with a car deemed by race officials to be terminally damaged.

And Jean Alesi will be racing on a real goddamn track tomorrow. He'll have no choice but to let people past and if he becomes a nuisance, he'll be sent to the garage. And Jean isn't an asshole, either. In the same situation he'd have most likely been in the pits at first chance. Like most racing drivers with half a brain would do.
Quote:
ii) Was his driving dangerous?

Now, this a different matter altoghter to the first part and I would go as far as to say it was unnecessary given his lack of competitveness. What he did into the Mirabeau seemed OK as he drove a straight line, though down to the Chicane, yes, maybe he needed give the circumstances not just float around in the middle of the road appearing to wander slightly one way or the other.

His driving wasn't overly bad if he had a car that could be controlled under normal racing conditions(i.e. raced in any line, defensive or normal racing line). He was probably in the middle of the track because the amount of steering input needed from the exit of the tunnel to the chicane, though not much, would have been enough to send him round.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:59 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Well, isn't this a fun little argument;

Suranovich has been excluded btw:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99922

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
Yes, correct. Because me having an opinion on something and not agreeing with you clearly shows that I'm a poor driver. Good analogy, very mature.

Poor driving has nothing to do with it. As a matter of fact, it is amazing that the kid was able to hold onto it as he did. The point is that if you can see that sort of defensive driving with a terminally damaged car as acceptable, you don't have the mentality consistent with what I'd see as safe, whether it's karts or club racing or whatever.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:06 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

A mad Russian blocking everything behind him?

Sounds like any iRacing race, really.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

...and that's just your opinion PT. We clearly both have different understandings of safety but, like I said before we'll agree to disagree and just leave it at that. No more assumption based insults when you've no clue about my background please.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:11 am 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

dicksplaash wrote:
A mad Russian blocking everything behind him?

Sounds like any iRacing race, really.

Maybe Boney M had it right.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:12 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

coldtyre wrote:
Some collisions are avoidable and this is one of them. Every one of them had more than enough time and room to be the smart guy and let the other one be the asshole. They didn't, leading to this catastrophic situation.

And let it be known that I think Conor could have just backed off and let things play out by letting the series take care of it or by letting Suranovich make a mistake that must have surely been in the making. And that along with him knocking the wing off(alledgedly, still haven't seen if that was the case)is the blame he shares in the incident. But it really pales in comparison to the things Suranovich did.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ptclaus98 wrote:
And let it be known that I think Conor could have just backed off and let things play out by letting the series take care of it or by letting Suranovich make a mistake that must have surely been in the making.

That's the problem though, Daly knew he had to get past because suddenly there were a lot of cars on his tail as Suranovich slowed with the missing rear wing. Do you sit behind someone so slow but being very defensive and risk going backwards yourself or try to find a way past.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:22 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
...and that's just your opinion PT. We clearly both have different understandings of safety but, like I said before we'll agree to disagree and just leave it at that. No more assumption based insults when you've no clue about my background please.

It's not an insult. It's the truth. I wouldn't feel safe around you on a given track, and I wouldn't feel safe if any of my family or friends were on track with you, either. I don't care how talented you are at peddling a car. A damaged car will in most cases win out over even the greatest of drivers. That's why the race officials have those black and orange flags which they use at their discretion. And they said that he should be off the track and he ignored them.

Quit making this about a talent or credentials issue. It's a maturity issue and when the people charged with track safety are ignored by one of the drivers they are trying to keep safe, and people see merit in that, I have a problem with that. And I'm sorry, but I don't see how you can just say agree to disagree on it. Why shouldn't Suranovich have pulled off the track when he got the black and orange flag?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:25 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gaara wrote:
ptclaus98 wrote:
And let it be known that I think Conor could have just backed off and let things play out by letting the series take care of it or by letting Suranovich make a mistake that must have surely been in the making.

That's the problem though, Daly knew he had to get past because suddenly there were a lot of cars on his tail as Suranovich slowed with the missing rear wing. Do you sit behind someone so slow but being very defensive and risk going backwards yourself or try to find a way past.

That is tricky on his end, but at the end of the day do you take your chances on such a tight track on a low percentage move, or do you focus on getting to the end of the race with your car intact? He was thinking go though.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

lol at your assumptions. This has nothing to do with talent or credibility, you're on your own with that one. You picked up a brush off remark I made to Ian-S and made it something it wasn't. Read what you're writing. At least have an understanding that you are being insulting based on assumptions YOU are making and realise that the only maturity that is in question right now, is yours.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To be more explicit, the smart thing a smart driver does is:

Your car is too slow and somebody is up your ass? Choose one side of the race track and stick to it. If they're fast enough to go by, let them go and don't fight back.

Stuck behind someone who can crash out at any second? Don't put yourself in the one single spot where you will be taken out for sure with him, i.e. two inches from his gearbox.

Common sense people. They had all the time to think it through. They both decided to drive like assholes and it would be hilarious if it weren't for the endangered lives of some of the most dedicated firemen/marshalls in the world.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:31 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
lol at your assumptions. This has nothing to do with talent or credibility, you're on your own with that one. You picked up a brush off remark I made to Ian-S and made it something it wasn't. Read what you're writing. At least have an understanding that you are being insulting based on assumptions YOU are making and realise that the only maturity that is in question right now, is yours.

kals wrote:
I fail to see weaving under braking.

The fact that he had no rear wing yet was able to run competitively despite a huge amount of downforce was missing was incredible. Fucking idiot? He kept it on the road didn't he? That was reasonable defensive driving. If there was an issue then why wasn't he called in by the stewards.

This is what I'm basing my whole argument on.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh right, fair enough. I'd steer clear of most track days then because a fair few of us have the same opinion.

I won't say anything more because I've already said enough and repeated my "let's agree to disagree" point too many times. And I haven't been insulting either...

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
Oh right, fair enough. I'd steer clear of most track days then because a fair few of us have the same opinion.

I won't say anything more because I've already said enough and repeated my "let's agree to disagree" point too many times. And I haven't been insulting either...

Bullshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pray tell. Or are you referring to the joke I made to Phil which I then apologised for?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:40 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
Pray tell. Or are you referring to the joke I made to Phil which I then apologised for?

I'm talking about the times you made vague references to credentials as all the rest of us are nothing but little peons.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh come on now. Seriously? I'm sorry buddy but that's pathetic.

kals wrote:
lol at your assumptions. This has nothing to do with talent or credibility, you're on your own with that one. You picked up a brush off remark I made to Ian-S and made it something it wasn't.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
Oh come on now. Seriously? I'm sorry buddy but that's pathetic. If you feel that way then I am sorry.

I don't want nor need your pity. I want to know how you can justify ignoring black and orange flags, and where I can find all these racers that think doing so, and driving defensively by doing thus, is an acceptable course of action at any level of racing.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:57 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

This is just a small thing, but I was under the impression that he had only been given the B/O flag one lap before the crash, meaning that he could still carry on for a couple more laps should he wish.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 164 65 66 67 68116 Next