TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1397 posts ]  Go to page Previous 166 67 68 69 70 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:09 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Saw the SportsCenter highlights. Once again, the Dallara proves itself that it should belong in the junkyard.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:59 am 
That was a pretty good race. But I missed the last part. I was well euhmmm .... I was sleeping, and sleeping... But it was a pretty good race.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is there an onboard of Tony's crash? If you freeze Mattzel's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=von1h9zpOGI at 1:54 you can see the onboard for a split second. And they're playing the audio over the top just before then :?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:44 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Is there an onboard of Tony's crash? If you freeze Mattzel's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=von1h9zpOGI at 1:54 you can see the onboard for a split second. And they're playing the audio over the top just before then :?

I don't know where Mattzel gets his feed, but it was the same on the Sky Sports broadcast. There was so much stuff missing, onboards, footage of previous races, driver/team radio etc. You could hear the sound/hear the commentators talking about it, but you couldn't see it. I assume they haven't got the permissions to broadcast those things in Europe.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ted2 wrote:
I assume they haven't got the permissions to broadcast those things in Europe.

That seemed to be the case at first, but later in the race they did show all the replays and onboards, like the onboard during the cock up in Franchitti's pit stop. So I don't know, it's weird :?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Someone on the Speedtv boards was at Indy & spoke to one of TK's crew after the race. According to the crew member the accelerometer in TK's ear piece recorded an impact of 175g.

Thats apparently the highest recorded G load that a driver's suffered & then actually got out the car & walked away from.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

On the second impact right?

Edit: on board replay of the crash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRF5W54_ ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:00 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

StefMeister wrote:
Someone on the Speedtv boards was at Indy & spoke to one of TK's crew after the race. According to the crew member the accelerometer in TK's ear piece recorded an impact of 175g.

Thats apparently the highest recorded G load that a driver's suffered & then actually got out the car & walked away from.

I find that quite hard to believe, not because of the size of the accident, but by the fact that he did came out of the car like nothing had happened. I think the heavy G's are caused by the sudden change of the direction on the second impact, rather than sudden deceleration.

Edit: Also, the nosecone was gone before the 2nd impact, so there was nothing on the car to absorb the energy. There would have been serious consequences without safer-barriers.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good race, not the best Indy 500 ever but I thought it was very competitive at the front. A shame that Danica didn't get pas Wheldon at the restart, but Catching Helio would have been impossible. Also loved how Helio ignored the officials and got out of his car to climb the fence.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:49 pm 
Australian - All the animals look so strange
Australian - All the animals look so strange

Find that impact loading hard to believe personally.

Anyway thought the race was decent, don't watch many open wheel oval races so it was a nice change, but it did lack any form of exciting finish.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:03 pm 

I thought this year's Indy 500 to be decent. Great racing for the lead and the restarts were amazing, seeing 3-wide so close to the pit wall is something. Great to see Helio win his 3rd Indy 500, in car #3, in his 3rd start in the 2009 season. Memorable Indy 500. BTW the Indy Lights race was freakin sweet, so much racing, and a great finish.

+9 for Helio winning
-1 for TK wrecking
+3 for Danica blaming herself finally
-1 for the first lap crash
-1 for the Miera wreck
-1 for exciting finish

8/10

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:13 pm 
pending wrote:
On the second impact right?

Edit: on board replay of the crash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRF5W54_ ... re=related

Thanks, I missed it because of my crappy internet.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Fryslân, The Netherlands, TBK-member since May 7th, 2003
Great race, great win for Castroneves.

:)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:20 pm 
Belgium is a shame for auto- and motorsport. NO channel here was showing the indy 500. Formula 1 only starts 15 minutes before racing and A1GP is only at a pay-channel. I always have to watch F1 practice,GP2,IndyCar,... on a stream.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:03 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I thought it was a great 500. Definitely better than 2008. It had a fair amount of crashes and bizarre incidents such as the amazing pitfire during Meira's stop.
And in the end it was Helio who did it. And he is a truly deserved winner. Even I had some tears in my eyes when he crossed the line, did the spiderman and came into the victory lane. So many emotions, and probably the most emotional victory lane I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:06 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Tom Vandenhove wrote:
Belgium is a shame for auto- and motorsport. NO channel here was showing the indy 500. Formula 1 only starts 15 minutes before racing and A1GP is only at a pay-channel. I always have to watch F1 practice,GP2,IndyCar,... on a stream.

Well, finnish media titles us as "the world's fastest nation" and we've only got once the Indy500 highlights in the early 90's. Only "Vauhdin Maailma" mentions the Indy500, but it's about one page everytime. Really sucks big time...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:11 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tom Vandenhove wrote:

Until a couple of years ago, Portugal only had F1 and the transmissions started sometimes after the grid was shown and ended before the podium.

Now, its moved to a pay channel, and that channel owns the rights for F1, and shows the remaining major series: Indy, NASCAR, WRC, DTM, FIA GT, A1GP, etc...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:34 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tom Vandenhove wrote:

It's fun, France too don't show the Indy 500! i see the race on a ESPN stream.

And for Sprint Cup races, LMS & ALMS, Moto GP, WTCC, WRC and A1GP, only in the Cable or pay-per-view! (or the two!)

Only the F1 qualifying and race, et the 24 Hours of Le Mans are broadcast in normal channel. with bad réalisation and VERY BAD commentators. :yuk: and too many long adverts! (fuck you TF1!)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Seems TK broke 3 ribs in his crash, he confirms it was a 175G impact with the wall while he was still doing 195Mph according o the Telemetry:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... ut-for-09/
Quote:
Tony Kanaan suffered three broken ribs and is black and bruised all over from his massive accident in Sunday's Indianapolis 500 but the plucky veteran intends to run Milwaukee this weekend.
Tony Kanaan was lucky to walk away from his harrowing crash at Indy on Sunday, caused by a failed rear suspension piece. He'll race this weekend with broken bones and severe bruising. (LAT) » More Photos

"I'm a mess, I'm hurting all over and last night (Sunday) was the worst of my life but I am going to Milwaukee and I will be driving," said Kanaan, who crashed heavily when his suspension evidently broke on Lap 98. "I've got two and a half broken ribs, my right femur, my right knee and right foot are black, I've got big bruises on my hands, elbows and pelvis.

"But I ran Indy with a broken arm once and how can I not race when (Alex) Zanardi races without his legs and my buddies in 500 CC motorcycle racing still ride with broken arms, legs and shoulders. They would laugh at my injuries."

It was no laughing matter when Kanaan, running third at whistling down the back straightaway at 227 mph, suddenly had his 7-11 Dallara make a right turn into the wall. That sheared off the right side of the car and then he roared into the Turn 3 wall head-on with just the bare tub taking the impact. A deflated tire trapped between the tub and the wall likely helped reduced TK's injuries.

"That was the longest five seconds of my life," said the 2004 IRL champion. "After that first impact, I had no brakes so I took my hands off the wheel, put my head against the headrest and put my hands on my seat belt and waited for the impact.

"It was 175 Gs and the telemetry said I hit the wall going 195 mph so I have to thank Tony George for the safer walls and IndyCar for that extra panel they added
to the front of our cars. "Those two things saved me. I don't think I'd be here right now without them."

The 34-year-old Brazilian broke eight ribs at Detroit in 2000 and says it will take six weeks for his latest injuries to properly heal. "I'm going to spend all week in Indy taking treatments and seeing Dr. Trammell and Dr. Scheid," he said. "You can't do anything about the ribs so I'll get some extra padding on the right side of my seat.

"I'll manage the pain and I'll be fine. It only hurts when I laugh, cough, sneeze or move."

Also note this from the bottom of the article:
Quote:
Larry Foyt was talking with Paul Tracy on Monday about replacing Meira in the ABC Supply Special this weekend at Milwaukee.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow he really did take a battering with those two huge impacts.

Also I hope PT does get the seat, he'd be a perfect super sub.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1397 posts ]  Go to page Previous 166 67 68 69 70 Next