TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 34
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 pm 

ellis wrote:
As I sit watching the 1969 Monaco GP on ESPN Classic, I can say I do quite enjoy watching 1960s technology in 2009.

The thing I miss most (OK, second most) about my previous girlfriend was that she could get ESPN Classic at her house, whereas I'm on Virgin Media and can't :x

At least I managed to tape loads of the old races from it while I had the chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:44 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

ellis wrote:
JCollins28 wrote:
BillBuckner wrote:
Grand-Am owns

Sure if you like to watch 1960's technology in 2009.

As I sit watching the 1969 Monaco GP on ESPN Classic, I can say I do quite enjoy watching 1960s technology in 2009.

Yes watching some of the best drivers ever can make 1960's technology look great. Of course in 69 this was top of the line equipment in the hands of Jackie Stewart, Jacky Ickx, John Surtees no one in Grand Am can hold a candle to those guys. Just like Grand Am as a whole can not hold a candle to a 1969 F1 race.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:12 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

BillBuckner wrote:
Grand Am is not F1, your complaint is about as valid as saying that going to the short track is a shitty experience because of the lack of Ferrari and Lotus, and that none of the drivers are as good as Jacky Ickx.

Grand Am isn't top of the line, and it doesn't pretend to be. It's a cheap racing series that provides some great racing.

Uh I'm not the one who tried to tie in F1 to Grand Am. If you want to see cheap racing that is a good show then SPEED World Challenge will fill the bill.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:10 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

JCollins28 wrote:
Yes watching some of the best drivers ever can make 1960's technology look great. Of course in 69 this was top of the line equipment in the hands of Jackie Stewart, Jacky Ickx, John Surtees no one in Grand Am can hold a candle to those guys. Just like Grand Am as a whole can not hold a candle to a 1969 F1 race.

Hold a candle in what way? 1969 Monaco GP was pretty dull. The only thing of importance was the argument over whether or not the wings should be removed or not. So in terms of excitement, Grand Am trounces it.

Grand Am does what it says on the tin. Produces close, cheap racing and mixes it with endurance racing. I'd rather see low tech cars going around VIR, The Glen and Mid Ohio, than an ultra-high tech F1 car around Magny Cours.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:46 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

ellis wrote:
JCollins28 wrote:

Hold a candle in what way? 1969 Monaco GP was pretty dull. The only thing of importance was the argument over whether or not the wings should be removed or not. So in terms of excitement, Grand Am trounces it.

Grand Am does what it says on the tin. Produces close, cheap racing and mixes it with endurance racing. I'd rather see low tech cars going around VIR, The Glen and Mid Ohio, than an ultra-high tech F1 car around Magny Cours.

So at first you said you enjoyed watching that race now it's dull? Like I said before if low tech cars with fenders interest you then tune into a Speed World Challenge race. I don't like Grand Am for a number of reasons but if it's you bag of tea then enjoy. IMO it blows just as bad as the IRL.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:17 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

I enjoyed watching it because of who was in it, and what it represented. Same way I enjoy watching almost any historic race from the 50s and 60s. But it doesn't mean they were all exciting.

Quote:
Like I said before if low tech cars with fenders interest you then tune into a Speed World Challenge race.

Why? I've watched both...hell, I've attended both...and Grand Am is better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:32 pm 
What's awesome about Grand Am, and the Daytona 24 in particular, is that you get to see the best drivers and teams race on the same track as national level teams and drivers on quite a level playing field. I don't know of any big drivers in the SWC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:57 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

JB-F1 wrote:
What's awesome about Grand Am, and the Daytona 24 in particular, is that you get to see the best drivers and teams race on the same track as national level teams and drivers on quite a level playing field. I don't know of any big drivers in the SWC

Yeah I will give you that and I will watch Daytona, but Grand Am is a a one race season in my book. As it is for most people I know.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:18 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

This page

imo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:26 am 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Elitism is bad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:30 am 

Indeed, the competition in G-A, from what I've seen, has been nuts.

It's a shame Panoz owns Road Atlanta, because I would go to a GrandAm race at Road Atlanta in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Didn't Grand-Am drop Lime Rock from it's schedule this year?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:19 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

BillBuckner wrote:
Grand-Am is good.

Seriously if you discount the ugly-ass cars it had some of the best pure racing out of any series last year (and hell, the last few years)

To me Grand Am is nothing more then a contrived NASCARised pathetic excuse for sportscar racing. If that makes me an elitist then so be it. I would take your statement and use it for Atlantics sans the ugly car comment. JMO btw and no I don't think anyone here is wrong for their opinion on Grand Am.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:36 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

BlueCelicaTRD wrote:

2009 Schedule

Daytona 24 - Its Daytona man.
VIR - Epic ciricuit, and vastly under-rated.
New Jersey - Haven't seen it yet, personally.
Laguna Seca - Decent enough
Watkins Glen - Awesome circuit
Mid Ohio - See above
Daytona
Barber Motorsport Park - another pretty unknown great circuit.
Montreal - NASCAR and Grand Am made a great decision going to this circuit.
Miller Motorsport Park - Pretty good layout, in a low scenery area
Homestead Miami RC - Standard oval RC really.

The worst circuits are Homestead and Laguna Seca - and they can hardly be called bad. Grand-Am has an awesome schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BillBuckner wrote:
BlueCelicaTRD wrote:

yes but the new lime rock is shit

I haven't been there since they did the work. At least they left the classic course so there's a possibility of running it once again. Funny how they did the work to the track only to lose Grand-Am. 1 of their 3 big races a year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:00 pm 
Aren't they supposed to be doing more alterations to LRP?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah I think they're taking away part of the infield hill as you enter "no name straight" and doing something with that section. Also the entrance to the pits with be on the downhill before the diving turn. I believe the run off in the turn will be all paved as well if it hasn't been already.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 34