TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:51 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
They started their relationship as master and student but now, they are team-mates who are determined to bring the GP2 Asia Series team title to Malaysia.

Alex Yoong, Malaysia's most successful racing driver and the country's only Formula One pilot, first got to know Earl Bamber three years ago when the New Zealander was just 15.

Bamber, who was talent spotted by My Qi-Meritus.Mahara in 2004 when he was still karting, was ready to make the step up to Formula BMW Asia after a year of nurturing by the Malaysian team.

Knowing full well that Bamber needed an experienced head to guide him before his big debut, Yoong was roped in to help fine tuned the Kiwi's driving skills.

It was a perfect partnership as Bamber absorbed all of Yoong's knowledge and in 2006, stunned the racing world by winning the Formula BMW Asia drivers' title by claiming 10 victories in a dominant season. He was still only 16 at the time.

"When I first met Earl, I knew there was something special about him," recalled Yoong. "My Qi-Meritus.Mahara have a long history of nurturing motorsports champions but Earl was a different class even as a 15-year-old.

"We worked closely for nearly a year before his stunning success in Formula BMW Asia in 2006. He certainly has a bright future ahead of him and his results over the past three years have shown he has the potential to be in Formula One.

"It seems a little strange that we are now team-mates but we are comfortable with each other and I believe we have what it takes to win the team championship for My Qi-Meritus.Mahara."

It has been a busy year for Bamber as he has competed in International Formula Master, Formula Master Italy, the Australian Formula 3 Championship, Formula V6 Asia (where he is leading the championship) and Toyota Racing Series New Zealand in which he finished runner up.

Bamber's competitive performance also attracted the attention of A1 Grand Prix where he has represented his country in the 2008-9 season, finishing his first two races on the podium.

In the GP2 Asia Series, he stunned the more experienced drivers by scoring points in both races at last month's Chinese Formula One Grand Prix – where the GP2 Series was a support race – including finishing second in Round 2, making him the youngest ever driver in GP2 history to have a podium finish.

Success, however, has not increase the size of Bamber's ego. He has a surprisingly mature head on his young shoulders and while he can be as playful as any 18-year-old, he never shrugs his responsibilities when it comes to staying fit.

Having won a quarter of all the races he has competed in, Bamber knows he has the speed and the skill to reach the very top of the motorsport world. But he is also wise enough to know he can't get anywhere without discipline.

"Talent and determination can only get you so far in the sport. A driver must also have an iron will and the discipline to stick to a strict training regime," said Bamber.

"There may be days where I may not feel like training but I don't give in to the temptation. I also stay away from junk food, although I do love drinking Coca-Cola. I guess that's my only vice.

"I'm also lucky to be racing for My Qi-Meritus.Mahara, who have a history of creating champions. Part of the reason for their success over the last 12 years is because they treat their drivers as part of the family.

"They take care of our all needs and this helps us to concentrate and stay focus on driving. My Qi-Meritus.Mahara have taken me from a small town in New Zealand into the winners' circle in motorsports. It has been a perfect partnership and long may it continue."

On the GP2 Asia Series, Bamber said that while he will be looking to build on his stunning start, it is the team championship which matters.

"We are the only Asian team on the grid but we have big ambitions. Our main goal this season is to win the team title. I believe we are on the right track," said a confident Bamber.

"The GP2 Series is without doubt, the hardest championship I have raced in but the China results have given my confidence a big boost. I'm sure My Qi-Meritus.Mahara can challenge for the team title."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:47 pm 
Mika Maki has quit GP2 Asia to concentrate on a title tilt in F3 and will be replaced by Renger van der Zande

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72266

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:53 am 
And Tiago Monteiro has bought BCN, renaming it Ocean Racing Technology

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72271

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Monteiro announced Yelmer Buurman as his first driver. Hope he gets his act together this year.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72281

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thats cool. There has been no GP2 in ages, when is round 2? lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:47 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Feature race is on Friday, don't forget :) On Eurosport starting at 10.15 am :p

Karting event with Massa is also shown at 21.00 ;)

Sprint race is Saturday :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:26 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Friday? :O

is there a stream?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

*changed the topic title*

Coverage started on ES2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

They have eurosport streams right?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:17 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't think there has ever been stream for Eurosport 2. Better look for some justin.tv streams?

Yamamoto spun.
Interesting, there seem to be some spectators next to the main straight. Quite many even.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Actually I think the racing is more decent than I'd have expected.
But unfortunately I have to go now, promised to my friend to have a lunch with him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:40 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Awesome race, just like in the first GP2 season with overtaking ad even a flip (D Nunes). Especially the 2 Dams drivers pulled of some unbelievable overtaking maneuvres :eyecrazy:

Any channel broadcasting Speedcar live today? Dubai sport showed it last year but it's not on their TV schedule for today :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:47 am 
Kobayashi was a second a lap faster than everyone else. Incredible

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kobayashi seems to overpace his teammate in the "old" gp2 cars, where d'Ambrosio overpaces him with the "new" cars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shaddix wrote:
Kobayashi seems to overpace his teammate in the "old" gp2 cars, where d'Ambrosio overpaces him with the "new" cars

D'ambrosio spun at the start of lap 2 when overtaking someone in turn 1. He fell back from P9 to almost the final place. He pitted early and then worked his way back up to P7. If he can avoid spinning tomorrow he has a good chance to get his first win.

Last edited by cookie on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ow ok, thanx, I didn't read any details of the rae :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:19 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

there was a race today? Crap, I missed it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:27 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Mattzel89 wrote:
there was a race today? Crap, I missed it.

And a flip happened. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:28 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

was the race good atleast? I don't really care if there was a flip or not.

edit: Just saw cookie's post, looking forward to the race tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I should have capped it, but I didn't bother because usually when I manage to make the clip and put it online 3 other people allready have that same clip online by that time :P

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 22 Next