TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3900 posts ]  Go to page Previous 140 41 42 43 44195 Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

considering there is a blind crest coming over the hill correa probably had little to no time to react. he may even have been off of the racing line because of the loss of his front wing. only the telemetry will tell us whether he lifted or not

we are judging and expecting these younger drivers to act as if they have been racing for decades, when in reality they are only a handful of years out of karting. racing drivers drive fearless because they have to be a little crazy to drive as fast as they do. they only thing "video game mentality" affects on the racetrack is the modern plague of moving in the braking zones to defend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wouldn't mind betting he had damage from hitting debris from Alesi, plus there was so much going on at the time over a wide area that avoiding one car would put you directly into another. It was a bit irresponsible to flat foot it through the run off area but not totally unheard of, after all any Indycar fan knows the enitre NBC crew have been creaming themselves for the last few weeks over a certain rookie whose been doing the same thing and getting away with it.

What I would rather see is the runoff be slightly reprofiled towards the end so that it doesn't come back towards the track (hey cut a few trees down and plant 5:1 more elsewhere, you've got plenty of space) and the introduction of a SAFER barrier, get those cars contained and sliding along the wall rather than grabbed and spat out back into the road.

But whether cooler heads will prevail depends on a lot, especially since the gutter press are running story after story about it riling people up who have access to a keyboard and Twitter and think they need to tell the FIA how to do stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's not a whole lot of wiggle room because of the drop behind. It's pretty steep isn't it?

Raidillon isn't always the best place for seeing yellow flags. Remember the huge pile up in the 2015 24hrs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They artificially built up the area around pit entry to "reclaim" land from no mans land (reclaim is the wrong word but they built it up, where the new pit entry is was a steep drop too) and they do it to motorways all the time to widen them. I'm not saying widen the runoff, just at the very end where it juta back in towards the track, take the sharpness out of that.

This wouldn't make it safer but it would allow the track to remove the huge car grabbing tyre wall, and let them hit and slide along a "soft" wall, that's assuming they want to do anything at all, just don't change the corner profile to appease the vocal minority outragers on Twitter (a term of phrase, not necessarily factual info as I don't do Twitter).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:29 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Sunoco wrote:
I still think assigning blame to a driver is beyond idiotic - crashes happen they just do it's motorsports. Accidents are an inevitability; you have to make sure the crashes that happen are more survivable that's how you deal with safety but it's pure naivety to think that "oh if drivers just raced <x> <y> <z> way this wouldn't happen" and apportion blame to drivers. Pure naivety.

Exactly this. I know people get emotional but thinking that apportioning blame takes the pressure off you and puts it somewhere more deserving is incorrect. If you watch motor racing you must accept tragedy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:32 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

For the last few months I have had a strong feeling we were going to lose a driver in a top tier series, I wish my gut feeling was wrong :( I actually thought it was going to be Indycar though

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:43 pm 

What a freak accident. Again reminding us that death, even in today's high level motorsports, is always imminent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I've seen some german analysis video on youtube which I cannot find now....in that, they say that Mick Schumacher made some contact with someone in/around La Source, and maybe the debris have caused a puncture for Alesi.

Last edited by Ouch on Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Someone on the iRacing forums is suggesting that Correra had no front wing before the contact with Hubert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Trident down to one car because Belgian authorities still have Alesi's car. Because of Boshung's budget issues, he's stpping aside.

https://www.autosport.com/f2/news/14576 ... -impounded

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's a curious decision, because I think that Hubert hit Boshung, causing him to go straight into the tyre wall.
As Boshung had been seen wih a puncture after that, I guess that was because of the collision with Boshung, and so, Boshung is involved in this tragedy.

mclaren2008 wrote:
Someone on the iRacing forums is suggesting that Correra had no front wing before the contact with Hubert

Maybe he hit Alesi's rear wing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hubert definitely clipped Boschung but I think it's because Alesi's crash was what triggered it all is why they're holding it.

Any one know if Sato was actually collected in the crash or just came to a stop and stalled while avoiding it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

For what I understood, Sato just stopped in front of the crashed cars.

About Boshung and Alesi, I mean that they would have kept both cars.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:53 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Must have been a disturbing sight for Sato. If I'm picturing it correctly, he would have been stopped right before Hubert, just staring into the left side of his destroyed tub.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes, must have been an horrible view, and more for a first F2 race.

I don't know if there is any picture of the left side of the car, but
Spoiler:
I still believe that Correa's car noise had totally penetrated inside Hubert's car, and crushing the driver's chest.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:52 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

What's weird and slightly miraculous about this crash is Huberts car gets the advertising hoarding attached to it post impact which prevents us seeing anything too graphic, driver wise on screen and may have prevented those with long lenses from getting a close up too

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:26 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

mclaren2008 wrote:

check pg41. someone already posted a link to a photograph confirming it

also, correra was going significantly slower than jordan king (red and white car zooming past alesi). he had at least lifted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ayrton S. wrote:
Spoiler:
I still believe that Correa's car noise had totally penetrated inside Hubert's car, and crushing the driver's chest.

By the way, no word on the actual cause of Hubert's death so far.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You'll probably find it'll be put down to BFT (blunt force trauma), it's kind of a catch all phrase they tend to use nowdays, I doubt we'll ever here of a specific reason.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:19 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ayrton S. wrote:
Yes, must have been an horrible view, and more for a first F2 race.

I don't know if there is any picture of the left side of the car, but
Spoiler:

I was there for the weekend. after witnessing this I walked 5 minutes to Eaurouge into the F1FanZone and there's a huge party going with a stage and everyone having a great time. V odd feeling. Took this video if you're interested in seeing the cockpit post-accident? Poor guy didn't stand a chance.

Nothing graphic, just shows them craning the car onto the recovery truck. Got some other pictures of the aftermath too if you are interested?

**Warning - aftermath of a fatal accident**

https://we.tl/t-5i5dGCIuBc

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3900 posts ]  Go to page Previous 140 41 42 43 44195 Next