TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 730 Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

JB-F1 wrote:
Actually I completely disagree. I hated the fact that he was always centre of attention, and then just upped and left when he got bored with it. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the series apart from for his money

There's a part of me that thinks that we didn't get the full story on Maktoum's departure. I really doubt that someone who put in so much time and effort and money into a venture like this would up and walk away just like that. I get the feeling he was strong-armed by someone. Might be the wrong opinion, but that doesn't matter to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
A1GP opener may be non-points event

ZandvoortThe first round of the new A1GP season is set to be a non-championship race, reports this week's Autosport magazine.

A delay in the production of the new 'Powered by Ferrari' car means there will not be a full grid available for the races at Zandvoort next weekend.

The opening points race has already been pushed back one, following the cancellation of the round at Mugello (originally scheduled for last weekend) and a maximum of 19 cars will be ready for Zandvoort with 23 nations expected to compete this season.

When asked by Autosport whether the opening race would be a non-points event, an A1GP spokeswoman said: "That is something we have to address and a decision hasn't been made. That fact that we are admitting that we will have to look at it means that it is an option."

It is not yet clear which teams will not make Zandvoort, and the series will not release an official entry list until every nation has launched its team. The Team Monaco launch is scheduled for today.

A1GP's technical and operations director John Wickham says the delay of the cars was caused by "parts coming through late, particularly electrical systems."

A group test for six new cars at Snetterton this week was scrapped in favour of running "12 or 13" cars at the circuit next week, just three days before practice begins at Zandvoort.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70824

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:45 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

How many times have I said "uh-oh" allready about this?
:(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Teixeira is simply the face that fronts A1GP, he may have a small stake in it, but it's nothing compared to how much RAB Asset Management have. I'm sure it's the teams + Teixeira that share the remaining 48% of the company, I think that was how it worked.

The Hedge Fund manager at RAB, one Philip Richards, spent $150Million buying the Sheik's 52% share, and lost his job as a direct result of how that, and the continued investment, has hit RAB's profits, he was basically sacked last week. A1 has now teamed up with Octagon and we all know how badly they treated Brands, had it not been for Palmer we'd have lost 4 UK tracks a few years back, so A1GP's future doesn't exactly look rosey.

Sorry to be the destroyer of dreams, but A1GP is on borrowed time, the World Economy is so fucked up because of these hedge fund manager and dreamers bringing the banks to their knees with bad investments (let's just say I have more than everyday Joe Public's experience of these idiots) that unless the Sheik comes back or Teixeira put's his hand in his pocket (unlikely) I doubt it will last the season, as soon as the new HFM at RAB see's the figures he'll pull the plug and A1GP will end up being wound up as they won't find an alternative investor in this climate.

TBK1/FL regulars will remember my predictions of economic gloom that I made about 2-3 years ago, what is happenning now is nothing compared to what's coming, this "credit crunch" is just the tip of the iceberg and a lot of problems are still being ignored or covered up by mergers and Government's bailing companies out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:58 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't get it, the first car was completed quite a while ago, wasn't it? How long does it take to make 23 cars? I shouldn't take this long!?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:59 pm 
I don't think it's got anything to do with the amount of time tbh. This is almost certainly money-related now

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ferrari was probably offered a share of A1 in return for it's partnership/investment, was the "in" thing to do around that time, Ferrari probably put a budget cap on it so things just drag along at a snails pace, unless of course there's a different motive behind it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:23 pm 

Whatever may be the reason but Damage is almost done :( Some might can say .. Ferrari is killing A1GP :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:34 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Uhh,, this livery just sucks :yuk:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:37 pm 
Actually I think that's gorgeous. Just simple

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:37 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

zack wrote:
Whatever may be the reason but Damage is almost done :( Some might can say .. Ferrari is killing A1GP :lol:

Wasn't Bernie instrumental in getting the Ferrari and A1GP deal together.... :whistling:

2008: not a good season for top line open wheel series....
How many can we kill off in one year? :ohmy:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is a very bad situation for a1gp now. I just hope by round 2 everything is running fine again... :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:13 am 

Ian-S wrote:
this "credit crunch" is just the tip of the iceberg and a lot of problems are still being ignored or covered up by mergers and Government's bailing companies out.

A little bit off topic but since it really doesn't matter considering that it's not any sort of leak information I'm actually quite interested in what's the bigger problem? Well I understand the fisical deficit on US's part and that's a huge threat to US's and in that regard, to the world's economy as well in the long term, but what exactly are this lot of bigger problems you mentioned?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:42 am 

JB-F1 wrote:
Actually I think that's gorgeous. Just simple

Yeah .. its better than Teams India's livery. And now at least we know for sure :p Monaco car is ready* for the first round.

IMO A1GP is facing all problems .. financial crisis - A1GP's First Season Loss over $200 Million! its doubtfully they have recovered it .. still they go for $$$ hungry deal! .. Now theystruggle to manufacture sufficient parts to start the season according to schedule.
Tags: mismanagement :p

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:46 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

zack wrote:
Yeah .. its better than Teams India's livery. And now at least we know for sure :p Monaco car is ready* for the first round.

Unless it's a rolling chassis. Not that I'm a cynic in any way, shape or form.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:59 pm 
On the issue of cars being ready and not ready, I hope they'll have at least one spare as well as whatever they need to get all the cars onto the grid in the first place. How many times over the first few seasons of A1GP have we seen bizarre concoctions of borrowed parts (sometimes even from John Watson's demo car) to get a car onto the grid? More than one big accident in the sprint, and cars missed races.

Nice to see Monaco racing under its own flag. And now onto the most incredibly important issue (really) - the livery. The only real excuse to have a plain white car is if your flag matches the colour scheme, so they're ok here, but there are far too many white liveries in top level motorsport for my liking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:29 pm 

Even more bad news...
translated by me:

MOTORSPORT aktuell wrote:
A1GP Team Germany: Weber quits
Willi Weber, propably one of the most famous F1 managers ever, will not send a team in A1GP.

by Christian Eichenberger, 26.09.2008 13:35:01

In one week the forth A1GP season takes off in Zandvoort - without Germany! The team of Schumacher's manager Willi Weber will not take part.

Q: What has happened, that the World Champion of 2006/07 does not take part in A1GP anymore?
Weber: It's simple. I haven't heard anything by the A1GP organisers anymore. I was not told, if they continue with us or not. May be we were a little bit too rebellious because we complained too much about the penalties against our driver Michael Ammermüller. Truth is: We heard nothing! Nico Hulkenberg, the 2006/07 Champion, is still waiting for his prize money. I've already written the 10th dunning letter (payment reminder)!

Q: Does that mean you won't compete?
Weber: Correct. We won't take part.

But you are still franchise owner?
Weber: Yes, 50% belong to me and 50% owns Tony Teixeira.

Q: Would you be willing to sell your 50% share?
Weber: Yes, I'd like to. Even though it's a shame. But since things turned out that way - that is not my way to work.

http://www.motorsport-aktuell.com/forme ... -6777.html

Especially the first answer by Weber tells everything - A1GP is in deep, deep trouble...!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

They still haven't paid the Hulk?

What the fuck is this, the CCWS?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:34 pm 
Australian - All the animals look so strange
Australian - All the animals look so strange

Gimsai wrote:
Even more bad news...
translated by me:

MOTORSPORT aktuell wrote:
A1GP Team Germany: Weber quits
Willi Weber, propably one of the most famous F1 managers ever, will not send a team in A1GP.

by Christian Eichenberger, 26.09.2008 13:35:01

In one week the forth A1GP season takes off in Zandvoort - without Germany! The team of Schumacher's manager Willi Weber will not take part.

Q: What has happened, that the World Champion of 2006/07 does not take part in A1GP anymore?
Weber: It's simple. I haven't heard anything by the A1GP organisers anymore. I was not told, if they continue with us or not. May be we were a little bit too rebellious because we complained too much about the penalties against our driver Michael Ammermüller. Truth is: We heard nothing! Nico Hulkenberg, the 2006/07 Champion, is still waiting for his prize money. I've already written the 10th dunning letter (payment reminder)!

Q: Does that mean you won't compete?
Weber: Correct. We won't take part.

But you are still franchise owner?
Weber: Yes, 50% belong to me and 50% owns Tony Teixeira.

Q: Would you be willing to sell your 50% share?
Weber: Yes, I'd like to. Even though it's a shame. But since things turned out that way - that is not my way to work.

yes indeed.

Can't believe one of the most exciting series around is going to implode.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:41 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

dang, that's bad. And to be honest I can understand Weber's decision

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 730 Next