TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 3134 Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gaara wrote:
On the other had according to Autosport, Indycar officials are heading out to Germany to talk to Audi. Alfa Romeo are reported to have some interest as well.

Would be surprised if Audi were interested, given the cut-backs they've made in their sportscar program and other sports they sponsor.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:50 am 
They aren't interested. IRL fans are not in either's demographic. That was why Porsche declined to join.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:14 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

CART fan wrote:
And to anyone who thought Porsche would join the IRL, they officially said yesterday that that would not be happening.

Link?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20081210/FREE/812109984

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20081210/FREE/812109984

Interesting... scenario: Audi/VW goes IRL and moves aside from Porsche that comes back to ALMS/LM? Makes no sense whatsoever both to be in the same series since the VAG ownership connection. Coincidentally new LMP regulations are coming 2011, so "swap" would fit perfectly for both.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:53 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I don't see Audi being relgated to being engine supplier in the IRL.

Depending on the economy and demand for Alfa Romeo in 2011. I don't see Alfa Romeo coming to IndyCar.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would agree with Porsche's idea for a base engine that can be used in different series. That would be ideal for manufacturers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Any info on international broadcasting?

There used to be a list of the channels that showed IRL around the world, but of course they were mostly ESPN channels, so i guess that'll change. Hopefully here in Latin America, SPEED get the rights. I'm fed up with ESPN showing repeats of spanish football, instead of live races.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think any non-ESPN channels which already had contracts are carrying on, that's what's happening with Sky in the UK I think.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PAXTON wrote:

There used to be a list of the channels that showed IRL around the world, but of course they were mostly ESPN channels, so i guess that'll change. Hopefully here in Latin America, SPEED get the rights. I'm fed up with ESPN showing repeats of spanish football, instead of live races.
International broadcasts will still be distributed by ESPN International.

Story about that here:
http://www.indycar.com/news/index.php?story_id=12905

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:15 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Premiere already announced that they'll continue to show IndyCar Live, but then again, they said he same for NASCAR last year aswell, and all we got this year was the Daytona 500 Live, all other races as 1 Hour Highlights.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StefMeiser wrote:
PAXTON wrote:

International broadcasts will still be distributed by ESPN International.

Story about that here:
http://www.indycar.com/news/index.php?story_id=12905

That sucks, then. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just noticed this story about Dallara cutting the prices of components for next year:
http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12916

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nice initiative by Dallara. You can't really ask the full price for a car out of 2003/2004.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:24 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice move - they know that by cutting costs they will get more cars on the grid. But don't worry more cars usually mean more crashed cars and more spare parts to be bought by teams :p

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good for the teams since we know what Marco's like on rolling starts :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=12907

Quote:
Less than 10 months ago, Indy Racing League founder and CEO Tony George seized an opportunity to unify North American open-wheel racing after a contentious and monetarily costly decade.

The 2008 season was quickly approaching, allowing little time to integrate and update teams that sought to transition to the IndyCar Series from Champ Car. While the process wasn't without headaches, results on and off the racetracks were immediate and portend for steady growth.

"I think the first year of unification went as well as anyone could have hoped," George said during a wide-ranging question and answer session. "There was plenty of opportunity to have not lived up to anyone's expectations. Given the late opportunity -- the season was about to start -- there's was a tremendous amount of challenge to be overcome. But everyone pulled together and made sure that the equipment was in the hands of the teams so they could go about their business."

Officials of the sanctioning Indy Racing League, manufacturers and teams worked with new entrants to get them up to speed as quickly as possible. With Graham Rahal of Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing winning on the streets of St. Petersburg, Fla., in the second race of the season - becoming the youngest winner in IndyCar Series history - it validated the procedures and spirit of cooperation. Rahal was among the six first-time winners in the 2008 campaign, and one of nine different victors.

"After we got through the first couple of races, it was always my feeling that by Indianapolis we would really start to come together and I think we did," George said. "There was still some uncertainty in the minds of many that whether the (new teams) were going to be competitive. Getting to Indianapolis you had a couple of weeks of practice and four days of qualifying and then a 500-mile race with the big stage and the spotlight on everybody. I think it kind of settled everyone and that's when we started coming together as one.

"Up until that point, there was still a lot of talk about Champ Car drivers and IRL drivers, and I think we all became IndyCar teams at that point. We went from transition teams to we're all one series. I would view 2008 as a great success and I look forward to 2009."

Now the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's Centennial Era, which kicks off in 2009, dovetails with unification under the IndyCar Series banner. The Speedway celebrates its 100th birthday next year, with programs and special events planned to commemorate its contributions to American automobile history and sports.

"It's nice to have a big milestone or a big anniversary to celebrate on the heels of unification," said George, the CEO of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "We look to take full advantage of the beginning of our Centennial Era celebration and I'm excited.

"I think unification was a long time coming, but it's now behind us and we have a very deep and competitive field of cars. We're all looking forward to next season. There will be some challenges pulling things together for next year, but we've been through the biggest challenge and I think that was pulling it together at all.

"I hear every day of more drivers that are interested in coming to the series and hear talk of new potential teams for next year. There will probably be one or two that don't return, but hopefully a team that comes in will be able to take advantage of this opportunity that's been created."

George also sees opportunities in the long term, such as two IndyCar Series seasons.

"In 2013, we'll be through our Centennial Era and our new technical package will have been introduced for a couple of years," George said. "I think you'll continue to see a predominantly North American-based championship. I think 16 to 20 races for what we do now is a comfortable number. I know there will be opportunities for us to do some more international outreach, whether it's through licensing or actually taking our product and creating a winter season.

"Drivers want to drive every week and if the operating budgets and sponsorships we depend on are there I think you could see us do as many as 22, 24 races a year. Or you could see something like ALMS has done in licensing our specifications, our name and brand for a European schedule."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:33 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I would love to see 24 calender but first they need to sort out the cars. I'm not going to tune in in 2010 if they cars are the same as its crap.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Georgeboi999 wrote:
I would love to see 24 calender but first they need to sort out the cars. I'm not going to tune in in 2010 if they cars are the same as its crap.
For 2010 they will still be running the current Chassis/Engine package, however a new formula is due for 2011 which will include a new chassis & engine formula, the new engine's are most likely to be Turbo's.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:45 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ya I knew that before. I just feel that they need to change soon to survive.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 3134 Next