TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1421 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yup when the other car his the gearbox and wheels it went bouncing straight towards where the spinning car was going, can’t really imagine a gearbox and a couple of wheels would destroy a car but you never know.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

What a shame. The race director now has blood in his hands by making them do a 1-lap shootout in this visibility when they did multiple laps behind the SC.

Post subject: Re: 2023 Formula Region
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The tyres are too good, I know that sounds double Dutch, but they disperse too much water into the air, back in my day it was mostly reasonably easy to see in wet races and spray wasn’t as immense as it is now, lap times were double the time of a dry lap time too as we were going a lot slower (as a result of having less grip and less water dispersed), when it stopped raining, it would often take hours for a dry line to appear too. I only ever remember two times where I though “this is too sketchy to race” and they were both times where the rain was so thick you couldn’t see your hard in front of your face, and that was when we were sitting on the grid.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:32 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

They're going to test "mudguards" at Silverstone for F1, to help disperse spray. Of course, it depends on if it rains...

But that did look sketchy for racing in :-(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

amq55 wrote:
What a shame. The race director now has blood in his hands by making them do a 1-lap shootout in this visibility when they did multiple laps behind the SC.

It was actually penultimate lap because of the "+1 lap" rule.
But it doesn't really matter. Could have happened at the start, or after some other SC, or in the middle of the race if there's Trulli-train with bunch of cars following each other.

Anway, that kind of accident can happen anywhere. Monza before Ascari. At a straight leading to 130R in Suzuka. At T19 in Baku. In Jeddah anywhere really.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yup as you say, “Motor Racing is Dangerous”, the only true way to eliminate risks like this, is to not race in the rain, which I can tell you, no driver will agree to, rain racing was always a highlight back in the day (maybe not so much now as tyre technology has advanced).

And those rain guards won’t fix the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:51 pm 

Ian-S wrote:
Yup as you say, “Motor Racing is Dangerous”, the only true way to eliminate risks like this, is to not race in the rain, which I can tell you, no driver will agree to, rain racing was always a highlight back in the day (maybe not so much now as tyre technology has advanced).

Apart from the will of the drivers, look at F1 for example, fatal accidents in the rain are very rare. We can compare this accident with Hubert's, in the dry, much more serious. Rain is not the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:35 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

amq55 wrote:

Well, that's the product of "finish under green" at all costs that has come over to Europe. I mean finish under yellow is allegedly bad for the "show" so I'm not surprised even ladder series don't finish under yellow these days anymore. Apparently even rain at Spa isn't worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What show? (Not directed at you) The only people watching these series are hardcore fans that don’t care for “the show” and just want to see good racing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:17 pm 

Tell that to the organizers then. What was the reason why this race couldn't finish under yellow in these conditions?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yup, no reason at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:13 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Watching the video again, the car looks like it got hit by the wheels

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

But halo (too soon?).

In all seriousness that was my initial though too, but also there’s another red car flat footing it through the accident scene at the same time as well so maybe that car hit him out of frame, behind all the shouting you can hear what sounds like another impact off screen.

Most of these cars have onboard cameras nowadays so they’ll be an investigation and I would imagine they’d be more info in that, maybe there is more amateur views too and people don’t want to upload them for obvious reasons, but it seems fairly clear something else happened out of view of the only view we have at the moment as that initial impact, though bad, doesn’t look like it would be fatal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:

Unfortunately Ian, hearing some comments from current F1 drivers, I'm not sure about the highlighted part anymore.

The famed era of drivers who would drop the wheel if it weren't for the risk, is a thing of the past, and apart from vert few drivers of this generation (Mags comes to mind), it's headed a different direction and I'm getting ready to see Eau rouge gone, and heavy rain racing gone, with the approval of all pilots

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:39 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I also think that current drivers are not keen to race in those conditions, and keen to removing Eau Rouge. But it's for them ok to Race in Baku and Jeddah. Hypocrits.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
Ian-S wrote:

Unfortunately Ian, hearing some comments from current F1 drivers, I'm not sure about the highlighted part anymore.

The famed era of drivers who would drop the wheel if it weren't for the risk, is a thing of the past, and apart from vert few drivers of this generation (Mags comes to mind), it's headed a different direction and I'm getting ready to see Eau rouge gone, and heavy rain racing gone, with the approval of all pilots

Yeah, I get what you’re saying but talk is easy, when the F1 drivers refuse to race will be the day things change, it’s not there yet. Besides didn’t Alonso say something like it could happen anywhere? There’s also a big commercial difference between Formula One and Formula Renault/Regional, F1 management will be more inclined to delay races than other series as obviously someone getting killed on live TV with an audience in the billions will not be good for the ‘brand’ whereas Formula Regional that sometimes attracts barely 5000 viewers worldwide, not so much.

If they banned wet races, then what happens the next time someone gets killed (presumably in a dry race)? Will everybody want to ban racing in the dry too? The sport is dangerous, eliminate one risk, and another will pop up in it’s place to remind you in a horribly ironic way that it is inherently dangerous regardless of what you do. I still say the tyres have a lot to do with it, they move way more water nowadays than they did even 20 years ago….

But hey, if there is an up side from climate change, it’s less wet races…. (Ok, ignoring all the other problems associated with that lol).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No one is wanting to get rid of Eau Rouge, they want to make it safer. Fun fact, it used to be tighter then it is currently.

Also, this is the kind of situation they want to avoid when they say there's no visibility in the wet. As was pointed out, modern tyres throw up more spray then they used to. When they're behind the SC and say it's bad, just think how worse it would be at speed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
drivers today are also driving more aggressively than those from when racing cars were death traps. Some of them feel entitled to drive this way so they demand conditions are perfect

they often forgot one of the main rules of motorsport, that is "to win a race you must finish first" and not driving like is overtime at Talladega

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't get the argument against Eau Rouge when the crash happened in the middle of Kemmel. One of the cars must've caught a river of water, lost control and caused the crash.

To me, this is nothing more than incompetence from race control. They know the track, how it behaves in the wet, the cars and how they behave in the wet and the skill levels of the drivers. Just red flag it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Race 1 soon to start in Mugello. Going to be an emotional one.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1421 Next