TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 199 100 101 102 103108 Next

Who is the better driver?
Dario Franchitti 20%  20%  [ 18 ]
Mark Plourde 80%  80%  [ 74 ]
Total votes: 92
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:29 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Oh no.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... -proposal/

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:03 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ENOUGH with this penis shaped vehicle already. :x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indycar are probably pissing themselves with laughter that they'd even try again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

It'll go to Dallara. The new car has proven popular (even if some don't like the looks), the price issues are created by IndyCar not Dallara (and would exist with any other manufacturer) and the building of a brand new factory at Indy just for these supplies seals the deal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:10 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

When will that thing just go away?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I like the innovation, but keep it in sports car racing.

There wouldn't be a point in having drivers race the delta wing to later jump into the Dallara.

In terms of costs, I'd rather have them use the same cell with a less powerful engine and a really low downforce aero kit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:57 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

ellis wrote:
It'll go to Dallara. The new car has proven popular (even if some don't like the looks), the price issues are created by IndyCar not Dallara (and would exist with any other manufacturer) and the building of a brand new factory at Indy just for these supplies seals the deal.

Are they even going to bother opening it to tender?

Last time with the new Indycar was pretty transparent, everyone could see Dallara coming a mile off even though they milked the Deltawing thing to death for publicity reasons (and probably didn't exactly ignore any ideas that came with the Lola etc submissions...)

So yeah, I'm not sure how much of fair tender process it actually is more than an cunning publicity stunt.
"Indy Lights is changing, be part of it!!" etc...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the Delta Wing concept is a great idea and I've thought the car was very striking. I cheered them on throughout Le Mans this year. As for submitting a proposal to use the concept for Indy Lights well, why should they?

What is so bad about it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:17 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
What is so bad about it?

It proves nothing. Everybody knows that if you have less weight and less drag you can be fast. But the current cars are built to certain regulations, and can't run like the DW. So the concept they set out to prove was pointless because everybody already knew that. They also spent the entire time changing their goals. First they wanted to beat P1s. Then it was run between P1s and P2s, and then they finally decided to aim for P2 times. They also used an existing chassis, rather than there own, and added kept the second roll blade to make it look like an LMP...but nothing else on the car looked like an LMP, making it a silly idea.

The Nissan marketing was also sickeningly shit. Talking about how amazing the car is, and Nissan like to be mad and do insane things. Bullshit because not 1 component in that car was a a Nissan part. The car was already heavily developed when Nissan jumped onto the bandwagon. The engine is a Chevrolet unit from RML, with a Nissan sticker on it. So in terms of who developed it, it's no different to Lotus stickering up random cars and pretending they are a Lotus. Now that the hype is over, watch Nissan disappear.

The DW as a car is fine. But it doesn't prove anything, it isn't revolutionary and it isn't doing anything that everyone else didn't know about.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

the DW actually had a nissan motor when it ran at Le Mans...testing was done with the Chevrolet unit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Indy Lights is a series in place to train drivers for Indycar. I don't see how the Deltawing would give them relevant experience that will benefit them in any higher classes (the difference is just too big). Indycar should just stop with these tenders and go forward with their old idea to use the tub of the DW12 to form the basis for the new car.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Perhaps Delta Wing are well aware of the fact they're unlikely to win the tender yet apply as a way to give the concept more publicity and receive funding for development.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:20 am 
Head Muppet

http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/ ... ns-others/

Anyone that wants to go can stay at my parents' house. Mom will cook, and we live 10 miles from the track.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If DeltaWing can offer a competitive bid, I hope they win. Just for the lulz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:50 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I read on Trackforum that MavTV and LucasOil signed a three year Title and presenting sponsorship with California Speedway for the IndyCar race.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:24 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Woodski wrote:
the DW actually had a nissan motor when it ran at Le Mans...testing was done with the Chevrolet unit.

It had an RML unit which was badged as a Nissan, same as the Chevrolet ones were badged as that. It was just an updated RML engine.

Notice how it's back to just being the DeltaWing too, rather than the Nissan DeltaWing? Funny how quickly Nissan bailed once the hype was over.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

chimp wrote:
I read on Trackforum that MavTV and LucasOil signed a three year Title and presenting sponsorship with California Speedway for the IndyCar race.

Which would mean that the race will remain in the shedule no matter what. And that's great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:44 pm 
Head Muppet

RIP Jerry Grant.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

For those who don't know, Grant was an IndyCar and sports car driver who was the first to set a lap with an average over 200 mph at a racetrack. I believe it was at the old Ontario track.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:24 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
kals wrote:
What is so bad about it?

It proves nothing. Everybody knows that if you have less weight and less drag you can be fast. But the current cars are built to certain regulations, and can't run like the DW. So the concept they set out to prove was pointless because everybody already knew that. They also spent the entire time changing their goals. First they wanted to beat P1s. Then it was run between P1s and P2s, and then they finally decided to aim for P2 times. They also used an existing chassis, rather than there own, and added kept the second roll blade to make it look like an LMP...but nothing else on the car looked like an LMP, making it a silly idea.

The Nissan marketing was also sickeningly shit. Talking about how amazing the car is, and Nissan like to be mad and do insane things. Bullshit because not 1 component in that car was a a Nissan part. The car was already heavily developed when Nissan jumped onto the bandwagon. The engine is a Chevrolet unit from RML, with a Nissan sticker on it. So in terms of who developed it, it's no different to Lotus stickering up random cars and pretending they are a Lotus. Now that the hype is over, watch Nissan disappear.

The DW as a car is fine. But it doesn't prove anything, it isn't revolutionary and it isn't doing anything that everyone else didn't know about.

The current cars also have 2-400 more hp than the DW. And the reason the goalposts were changing is because the ACO didn't want it disrupting the classes. It was originally supposed to make upwards of 300 bhp, and by the time the 24h came, it was down to ~250. As far as that engine is concerned, it's a bespoke engine. Nissan is badging it no more than Chevy is.

And I think it proved a lot. It had no aerofoil wings, it had the power of an F3 car, it's front tires would make a FF1800 tire cocky. The theme was less is more, not we can beat Audi with the engine from your Fiesta.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 199 100 101 102 103108 Next