TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Remember when....
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:12 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Remember when we watched F1 races then went back to playing with our toys and didn't spend hours bitching about them on the internet straight afterwards.

*sigh* Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Remember when we watched F1 races then.... didn't spend hours bitching about them on the internet straight afterwards.

I don't.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:23 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh yeah i remember seeing this blooper in 2010 on speed channel.Where an idiot got in the way of Sebastian Vettel car and was hit not that hard like the car was going 15 mph I laughed my ass off. I'll try to find the vid.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Remember when the helmets were the easiest way to recognize a driver because they were simple, original and almost never changed designs?

Also, for some countries, remember watching F1 on free-to-air TV? And having good commentary?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tobias wrote:
the camera angles in which you could actually somewhat grasp the speed of the cars. Now, due to advertising, long distance is used and the sensation of speed is often lost.

This

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
thank God some people are putting some races on youtube so we don't have to stand to that Mercedes and bernie show

I'm still watching F1 while still on TV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:27 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
I find that dwelling on the past only makes me feel more cynical and miserable.

Think we should be putting more effort into debating "imagine ifs" instead of "remember whens"

I agree with here Scotty, but you know how the older you get the more you still see and imagine yourself with an internal perpetual age?...its usually around 17-19 for most people.

Well for me F1 is the same and I still view it through the lense of 1994-95. I know that actually the competition of the current generation is WAY WAY better today than then...but I just can't help it.

But do I want it to return to that era? Hell no! Its been and gone and just wouldn't be the same. So I, like you, look forward to the "imagine if", but its established that our "imagine if" scenarios are a bit different to each other lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:01 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I dunno, I'm watching back a lot of this mid-late 90s racing on YT and our definition of "good races" seemed a hell of a lot different back then

Aside from the batshit crazy races like spa/Canada 98 etc, it was a "good race" if the top cars were on different fuel strategies leading to one or two pulling away and the rest running at a slower pace consistent with heavier fuel.
The main drama being if the lower fueled cars could get to the end of the pitlane before the lesser-stopping cars passed them on the track.

If that happened "Damn good race, brilliant strategy, 10/10"

Today we have arguably too many easy DRS overtakes and a hell of a lot more non-DRS passes than we ever got before too, and people moan it's boring.
Even a race like Hungary 2016 would've been worshipped as amazing 15 years ago just because of the Kimi/Max battle.
Hell, I think I remember enjoying Hungary 2001 just because Alesi managed to go around the outside of someone in turn 1 (for like 12th!) and Barrichello out-fumbled coulthard on pit strategy meaning Ferrari claimed both titles as a surprise instead of just the drivers title like we expected, that's how low standards were.

Be careful what you wish for....

Twitter:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm blaming the near bulletproof cars for most things. And overcomplicated tyre rules.

Maybe there wasn't more passing back in the day but you sure as hell knew that at any moment anyone could retire. Suddenly you heard the commentator say there is a strange sound coming from [driver A]'s car when he passed the start/finish line. The commentator questions if he will make it to the end. You know if he does and keeps the place it will be his first points of the season. You sit up straight.
Then the teammate of the guy in front retires. If his car breaks down, it means the leader's car could also break down. You move to the tip of your seat.
Then you hear the commentator mention [Driver B] is still running on his 2nd set of tyres and trying to make it to the end. He's in 2nd but [Driver C] is gaining on him fast. And [Driver D] is a mere seconds behind him. Only 10 laps to go. How will this end??? Can [Driver A]'s car make it to the end? Will [Driver B] be able to fend off [Driver C]? Will the leader's car stay intact or does it also go boom? In that case [Driver B] will win his first race and the team's first win. Someone in the rooms speaks but you hush them. Only 9 laps to go.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:03 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I dunno, I never really watched for unreliability.

I remember Spa 2002 being an engine detonation fest and everyone seemed to think that made it a great race, but I didn't get it

Overtaking is what it's all about, not random battles that are shaping up to look good then BOOM, technical problem forcing anti-climax.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'd rather have the anticlimactic surprises than no surprises at all like nowadays.
Unpredictability, whether it happens due to unreliability, track conditions, driver errors or fluctuances in performance (Force India at Spa '09, Mercedes at Singapore, first 7 races in 2012), is exhilarating.

Remember when there was a constant threat of getting stuck into the gravel?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Remember when people felt appreciative of watching GP racing rather than behaving entitled like nowadays?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Fryslân, The Netherlands, TBK-member since May 7th, 2003
Remember when... in the nineties... Sylvester Stallone was seen a lot on the grid before the Formula 1 races.
He wanted to make an actionmovie about Formula 1, switched to the IndyCar Series and Driven was the result.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:37 pm 

Does anyone else feel that the more in-depth coverage and information available these days (internet etc), means F1 leaves less to the imagination? if that makes any sense? In years gone by, footage, features & information about lower teams, incidents etc was scarce, therefore making it more intriguing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I miss reading magazines about F1 and other forms of racing like it was back in the 90s and early 2000s.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Regardless of the number of passes today, it's pretty hard to get excited about the same team dominating the podium pretty much every race. IMO engine rules and the development freeze are the main reason things have gotten so dire.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:39 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thestig88 wrote:
Does anyone else feel that the more in-depth coverage and information available these days (internet etc), means F1 leaves less to the imagination? if that makes any sense? In years gone by, footage, features & information about lower teams, incidents etc was scarce, therefore making it more intriguing.

Yeah, and not only F1 itself, but being able to watch a lot of extra races, even older F1 races on yt. I really valued the F1 weekends more before getting acess to Nascar, WRC and what not. Even Tour de France is a kind of a race for me that I didn't watch before.

Besides that. From 96 to 2000 we had some great championship battles. If not on track itself, the points battle was intense. And the epic tale of Schummi trying to win the drivers title with a Ferrari after so many years. Then that crazy 2003 season, and then 06 with Schumacher trying to prove he can do it against another competitive driver and the battle was just insane, my favourite duel IMO. Then the following two years were really crazy as well and 2010 was a classic 5 men battle. Next DRS and most importantly crazy tyres, but all combined with having 2 good teams to fight for the drivers title. All the while the sound and speed of cars were nice to follow.

Now it's a boring grey team dominating every weekend with in a boring categorie. We still had one of the best duels for the championship in 14, but still wasn't the same. Oh boy, those grey cars, I forgot this, how boring the team colors are nowadays.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:44 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

remember when there were no graphics on the screen

I liked when it was up to to the commentators to provide margins, laps to go, positions etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:58 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

stimaro wrote:
Remember when... in the nineties... Sylvester Stallone was seen a lot on the grid before the Formula 1 races.
He wanted to make an actionmovie about Formula 1, switched to the IndyCar Series and Driven was the result.

Ah yes, Driven. The movie in which Sly could suddenly drive a whole lot faster when he started 'humming'.

"Hmmmmm mmmm hmmmmm mmmm hmmm..."

"He's going for it!"

(Cool pictures though)