TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 197 98 99 100 101151 Next

What's going to be the biggest surprise of 2016 season?
Ferrari beats Mercedes 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Williams will stay 3rd in standings 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
McLaren Honda gets podium 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
No wet races 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Maldonado and Palmer are incredibly reliable and scores in every race 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
People will not complain how boring it is 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
It isn't actually boring at all 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 79
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:09 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
webbsy wrote:
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/17163095/sebastian-vettel-halo-opposition-justifies-death

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/171 ... delay-halo

So can I suggest that both Seb and Rosberg sit out racing until the Halo is implemented then? After all, F1 has suddenly overnight become a death trap and is super super dangerous.

You do realize almost the entire field wants an iteration of halo? Hamilton, Ricciardo, Alonso all want versions of it, so should they fuck off then?

And they are 100% right;

Lewis Hamilton wrote:
"I take safety very, very seriously. The interesting thing is that while the halo system does not look great or in the racing spirit, the chances [in one of the examples given] are 17% better of saving the driver's life.

Actually Scotty yes I do. There is another series that caters to their fears.

I know that I may have Neanderthal opinions on this to you (and the state of the engines) but I believe that if issues of drivers being smashed in the head were a common occurrence in open wheel racing then yes I would agree. But the fact is those incidents weighed against the massive amount of open wheel racing are pathetically small. I don't believe they warrant changing the fundamental fabric of open wheel racing when there are series that cater to their needs.

This isn't the 60s when safety was starting from zero. Safety in F1 I would say is at 99%. Nothing can ever be 100%. Changes to safety should be more aimed at things that are outside of the car, ie operational systems, not using antiquated tyre barriers behind conveyor belts, having curbing that encourages dangerous driving, and fixing drivers standards.

Plus you know we are not just talking about F1 right? This is for all FIA sanctioned open wheel racing. Because if its not they can be and should be sued up to the wazoo if not.

So you believe that all open wheel racing should be killed off and is defunct?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:23 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I would like to see a completely independent research into the halo and how it could have been safer in those examples.
Somehow I think the results of the fia are too positive and biased

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

"So sorry that wheel left you in a persistent vegetative state. Some people decided they preferred looks over preventing the small chance of a drivers head being hit by debris."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:13 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

micha wrote:
I would like to see a completely independent research into the halo and how it could have been safer in those examples.
Somehow I think the results of the fia are too positive and biased

Michael Schmidt (AMuS) agrees with you.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 02481.html

It would be interesting to see how the halo would perform in something like Daniel de Jong's accident at Spa last year. Or to give a more relevant example, Sainz at Sochi.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

Last edited by RtN on Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jeez, why all the sudden bitchfighting?

Could we just, like, not have this entire discussion again? We've had it in the winter, we've had it in spring (haha, Massa had a spring in him, get it? Halo wouldn't have prevented that) and we will have it again in the next winter and every time a car flips or loses his wheel. No need to fill another 2 pages every time with the same opinions as 6 months ago. And again. And again.

But that is ofcourse just my opinion.

Last edited by Omega on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:

If you or anyone else will stop watching the sport because drivers want 17% more of a chance of surviving a potential fatal accident, well then

What if I told you that I want F1 to be as dangerous as Isle of Man. Implicitly that would mean the tracks are public roads like old Spa and the risk of death increases enormously.

But before getting hostile, please remember that a large number of people consider Isle of Man the pinnacle of motorsport. Especially those who organize the event, riders who race there and people who go to watch the event year after year. Similarly, I'm no different from them as I can't help being awestruck by the bravery of the riders.
Simply put: spectacularity overshadows safety.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To add to JJ: nobody is forcing men to get in a car or on a bike and race with it in dangerous conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
There was a kid in Italian F4 that suffered a heavy crash and a cooling system hose entered the cockpit gushing him with warm coolant water, suffering burns on the legs

He was very skeptical with the halo, now he wants fully closed cockpits

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
webbsy wrote:
I know that I may have Neanderthal opinions on this to you (and the state of the engines) but I believe that if issues of drivers being smashed in the head were a common occurrence in open wheel racing then yes I would agree.

Henry Surtees, Justin Wilson, Jules Bianchi, Ayrton Senna would disagree if they could.

If you truly think the halo would have done anything to help Bianchi you're delusional. The forces obliterated the rollhoop which is a much much stronger structure than the halo will be.
If anything, it would have made things worse.

And the fact that this crash keeps popping up in the halo discussion makes me fear that the fia, teams, drivers and fans grosly overestimate the halo and protection it could provide.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I love it when forum keyboard jockeys think they know so much better than actual f1 engineers that they can go so far as to call them delusional.

Personally I can see how the halo design could have saved Bianchi's life, through deflecting the force of the impact (rather than trying to stop it) above the head of the driver - it's actually the benefit of the front 'spine' element of the halo design that everyone hates.

But I'm not an engineer, so more importantly I'll make the outrageous suggestion that maybe those F1 blokes have more information on this than we do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:28 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Philthy82 wrote:
I love it when forum keyboard jockeys think they know so much better than actual f1 engineers that they can go so far as to call them delusional.

Personally I can see how the halo design could have saved Bianchi's life, through deflecting the force of the impact (rather than trying to stop it) above the head of the driver - it's actually the benefit of the front 'spine' element of the halo design that everyone hates.

But I'm not an engineer, so more importantly I'll make the outrageous suggestion that maybe those F1 blokes have more information on this than we do.

Halo could have worked like a fucking guillotine, making Koenigg's 1974 Watkins Glen of modern time. Halo could then only be more merciful.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If I understand Halo correctly it is a steel bar with a carbon fibre skin (much like the Indycar suspension), steel bends, so at a guess in Bianchi's accident it would have folded back onto him, maybe not to the extent of Koenigg, but it in itself would have done damage, even the FIA stated Halo would not have saved him and as micha said, the impact cut through the roll hoop like a hot knife through butter. The only thing that would have saved Bianchi would have been if Charlie had done his job properly and sent out the safety car when he should have done instead of worrying about how angry the public and Honda would have been over yet another interruption to the race.

As for the rest Scotty mentioned, only Henry Surtees was killed by a flying wheel, Senna was a part of the suspension no bigger than an M8 bolt and Justin Wilson was a nose cone full of lead weight, it is questionable whether Halo would have saved Wilson, it may well have given the trajectory and size of the item, but it wouldn't have saved Senna in any universe.

Motor Racing was the original extreme sport, now it is reduced to being so safe that a monkey could drive, and give it a few years, if the FIA has it's way nobody will be in the cars full stop, they'll all be in a truck in the paddock driving by radio control. If you don't like the danger or aren't prepared to take the risk, don't watch (or compete), part of motor racing's early appeal was the 'daredevil drivers risking life and limb to be the fastest man on earth', it's why so many people flocked to events, and the reasons why the grandstands are empty now (in addition to pricing) is because that danger has all but been eliminated, the drivers are no longer hero's, they're just drivers. You can never make anything 100% safe, just look at MotoGP and their tarmac runoffs as an example.

I also don't get why they're so suddenly scared of flying wheels, since they've been tethered to the cars for God knows how long, if bodywork is an issue, tether them too like NASCAR does.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They're acting like drivers are getting killed left and right each weekend because of the lack of halo.

At this rate we'll end up with remote controlled cars before 2020 because a driver might find yet another way to have a freak accident.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

People are screamish about marshals being near the track attending a stopped and how often were they hit?

They have fireproof overalls and how often do we see fire these days?

Prevention is better then saying oops, we could have prevented that but decided it just didn't happen often enough to implement it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you want to completely prevent the death of drivers, marshals, spectators, mechanics then your only option is to ban the sport completely, no matter how safe you try to make it, death will rear it's ugly head, as I said, just look to MotoGP for the most recent example of a "safety feature" designed to minimise injuries, killing someone.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You've got to decide what is an acceptable risk and what isn't.

Being hit by a wheel or other large debris isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
so just cover the wheels, it'll minimize the odds of flying around and bouncing at someone's head

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I still think some kind of windscreen would be considerably more effective (it stops smaller parts as well), and would look 100 times better than the halo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Either FOM have reworked the data channel since I last saw it or this is something new?

Either way fans should be getting that rather than the current outdated timing screen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:16 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

On Sky F1 after qualifying they said they were watching the 'new' timing screens from the McLaren motor home that updated the timing at every 200 meter interval. I think that might be it. Look how each sector is broken up into segments. And I agree, this is what we should be getting but its well established that CVC and FOM don't really want to invest back into the sport for the good of the public.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 197 98 99 100 101151 Next