TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1497 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 675 Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It dates back to the old forum. From about 2006 onwards every F1 thread saw a rush to post every little thing that happened during the race in an attempt to be first. And on one occasion there were about 2 pages' worth of 'Kimi pits' or equivalent.

It's not quite as busy nowadays so it doesn't happen as much.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:50 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

RtN wrote:
It dates back to the old forum. From about 2006 onwards every F1 thread saw a rush to post every little thing that happened during the race in an attempt to be first. And on one occasion there were about 2 pages' worth of 'Kimi pits' or equivalent.

Thank God as well. If there's something I absolutely detest on a forum it's reading through these factual no-substance posts. (it still happens here, as well)

Start.
Green.
Caution.
Pitstops.
Crash.
Green.
1 lap to go.

But that's why I don't usually spend my time on a forum while watching a race.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Definitely. When crap tracks keep getting built and added, Sepang suddenly finds itself quite high up the list of favourites.

The thing is I don't consider a lot of new tracks as being crap. I mean, the layouts are fundamentally sound. Yeongam, Buddh are both good circuits (although AbDrab and Bahrain are indeed crap). The problem :

- Lack of atmosphere or fans so far away from the track that it creates this absence
- No gravel and/or tarmac runoff
- Walls miles away
- Lack of vegetation

It can't just be me but somewhere like Istanbul Park was a brilliant circuit if you plonked it in Spa-like scenery. But the track width/wide shots/run-off all reduces the spectacle. Similarly if you took Albert Park and gave it Yeongam-scenery we'd probably hate it.

Oh, and my other irritation is with the fuck-off massive straights. They're a joke, especially now with DRS/KERS/Pirelli tyres. Monza used to feel so special because of the long straights. Now every new circuit has a long straight that adds so little to the spectacle.

For a modern circuit, I think they got it pretty much spot on with Austin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Its a delight watch rain fall within 10 laps or less to the finish, some drivers' efforts drowning in the monsoon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:12 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

phil1993 wrote:
The thing is I don't consider a lot of new tracks as being crap. I mean, the layouts are fundamentally sound. Yeongam, Buddh are both good circuits (although AbDrab and Bahrain are indeed crap). The problem :

- Walls miles away

Oh, and my other irritation is with the fuck-off massive straights. ... Now every new circuit has a long straight that adds so little to the spectacle.

So the problem is not that the tracks are not good? It's that...they are not good? :p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:16 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

anyone still has that screengrab of a marshal on the track to pick up some debris with no yellows being displayed? (2008 I believe)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:34 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

StanV wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

- Walls miles away

Oh, and my other irritation is with the fuck-off massive straights. ... Now every new circuit has a long straight that adds so little to the spectacle.

So the problem is not that the tracks are not good? It's that...they are not good? :p

:p Well, what I mean is that yes, those straights are annoying, but the general layouts are good. :p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StanV wrote:
RtN wrote:

Thank God as well. If there's something I absolutely detest on a forum it's reading through these factual no-substance posts. (it still happens here, as well)

Start.
Green.
Caution.
Pitstops.
Crash.
Green.
1 lap to go.

But that's why I don't usually spend my time on a forum while watching a race.

Rofl, this is number two of why me and probably a lot others are starting to become less active on this forum. I wanted to make a suggestion to the mods to ban those responsible (for example when Vettel crashes, each 4th to mention it gets a ban of a day), but instead just closed the forum.

By the way, number one was only this morning. It has been a good day :p

Omega wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
Reading through the thread I like how you can't criticise any driver, even ones having not so much bad but anonymous races like Grosjean, without someone leaping to their defense.

That's why I stopped giving an opinion long ago. Whatever you say, there's always someone else saying why you are an idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2 DRS activation points & 2 very long DRS zones.

Don't need 2 zones at Sepang & they certainly shouldn't be placed right next to each other on the 2 longest straights where we already see some good racing!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:50 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

I honestly think we should have a full season without DRS, to see if it's still awesome. Because Pirelli have really been the best thing to ever happen to F1.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

ellis wrote:
I honestly think we should have a full season without DRS, to see if it's still awesome. Because Pirelli have really been the best thing to ever happen to F1.

Totally agree. Races such as Monaco 2011/12 where DRS has been pretty redundant shows is it's still possible.

I'm a fan of moving the sport forwards and using DRS, but I don't think it's being used correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Monaco 2011 and 2012 aren't good examples. They were not good races. Some intensity and a couple of incidents but other than that bland and predictable.

Despite being a fan of it's introduction, I would like to see how F1 would be without DRS.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:23 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Monaco provides different racing to the rest of the series. But look at what happens when it rains - DRS is disabled and the racing is awesome. Pirelli essentially emulate what happens when it rains, by having tyres go off and provide less grip. They are far less driveable than Bridgestones. Ok it isn't the same as when it rains, but it's the same idea.

I'm not saying DRS is a bad idea and should be banned. DRS is a good idea, but implemented wrongly IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:12 pm 

They should use DRS like they do it in the Formula Renault 3.5 series. No drs-zones and limited time period to use it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

LeonArtez wrote:
They should use DRS like they do it in the Formula Renault 3.5 series. No drs-zones and limited time period to use it.

Doesn't work, then everyone uses it at the same time. DRS doesn't work (most of the time) if the guy in front also uses it. Perfect example was Melbourne, there was a queue of cars behind Vettel at the start but the DRS cancelled each other out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Plus they'll be a safety issue with doing it the FR3.5 way (sorry, I'm being Mr. H&S) whereby drivers will take more risks when in close battles and attempt to open DRS exiting corners, cars will snap out of shape more easily, etc...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:16 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
Plus they'll be a safety issue with doing it the FR3.5 way (sorry, I'm being Mr. H&S) whereby drivers will take more risks when in close battles and attempt to open DRS exiting corners, cars will snap out of shape more easily, etc...

Part of the spectacle 8)

I know what you mean though. It'd be ridiculous to have it free-for-all somewhere like Monaco, but then equally you can't change the rules to be circuit specific.

I still think an FR3.5 style solution is best. At least it gives the defending driver some sort of ammunition.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

See ellis' comment, a free for all won't / doesn't work

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:10 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Looking forward to this Grand Prix, but I've got some negative feelings as well. Good track, one of the few good tracks Tilke has made. Last couple of years the races have been quite a bit above average. The only thing I have my doubts about is the starting time.

An acquaintance of my mother has lived in Kuala Lumpur for a couple of years. Around this time of the year the question isn't if it's going to rain, but when it's going to rain. It does rain every afternoon, sometimes a little early, sometimes a little late, but it does 90% of the days. By letting the race start at 16.00 local time there's allmost a guarantee for rain. We all know how much it rains in Malaysia when it does and we all know that the race will be stopped etc.

So, kind off mixed feelings about this. What does Charlie want? Late afternoon starting times so people in Europe doensn't have to get out of bed in the middle of the night, which I absolutely loved to do. That brings a high risk of delays since Charlie is already afraid of a few raindrops. I'm afraid of a new anti-climax, getting excited about a rain race only to be let down by more and more delays.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:53 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

the first one was hot, run it then (October)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1497 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 675 Next