TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21180 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1637 638 639 640 6411059 Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Frenchman Michel Disder will race for SS Greenlight in the Daytona Truck race. He did a lot out of a little in his few ARCA starts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Underdogfan wrote:
Frenchman Michel Disder will race for SS Greenlight in the Daytona Truck race. He did a lot out of a little in his few ARCA starts.

He made 10 of his 11 ARCA starts for Bowsher Motorsports, which wasn't a big budget team and he ran pretty well even though he wasn't in the best equipment. He finished in the top 20 in 9 of his 10 starts with Bowsher Motorsports, and finished all 11 races he ran in ARCA. He ran the Daytona race last year in the #22 Cunningham Motorsports entry and finished 11th.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Looks like Jimmie Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... t-cup-race

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah Richard is very old school, but he'll be dead soon so it's okay.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bleacher report predicts how the 2014 Sprint Cup rookie class will do.

Can't say I agree with some of their predictions, ex. Alex Bowman scoring a couple of top 5's, but it's still an interesting read.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:27 pm 

Last edited by Wininturnone on Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

de31168 wrote:
Yeah Richard is very old school, but he'll be dead soon so it's okay.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:13 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nothing that I know of... Just stating a fact. The man is old and his ideas are outdated. "Women shouldn't be in racecars, women can't do NASCAR, if she was a he nobody would know she was there." Stuff like that is kinda funny coming from someone who won when he had the most money and very little competition, then sucked the last decade of his career when you actually had to, as his son put it, be a "racecar driver." Aside from that oversized motor win at Charlotte and no doubt other cheated up victories.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:30 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

He didn't say it like you're implying, imo.. and what he actually said is right, imo.

Quote:
"If she’d have been a male, nobody would ever know if she’d showed up at a race track,” said the seven-time Daytona 500 champion. “This is a female deal that’s driving her. There’s nothing wrong with that, because that’s good PR for me. More fans come out, people are more interested in it. She has helped to draw attention to the sport, which helps everybody in the sport."

She wouldn't be where she is today if not for the fact that she's an attractive woman (doesn't do anything for me, but whatever), showed a fair amount of skin in magazines, etc, got her name/face out there, which in turn attracted sponsors, and top rides in Indycar/NASCAR.

It isn't her driving talent/ability that is giving her sponsorship/rides in top tiered teams. She's pretty much a mid-pack driver, be it in Indycar or NASCAR, and her results tell the tale: http://racing-reference.info/driver/Danica_Patrick

Full article is here: http://www.wheels.ca/news/danica-will-o ... etty-says/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

And from the ESPN article..

Quote:
Petty has commented on Patrick's involvement in NASCAR before, saying in 2006 that "I just don't think it's a sport for women. And so far, it's proven out. It's really not. It's good for them to come in. It gives us a lot of publicity, it gives them publicity."

But like Tony Stewart says.. she is trying to get better and improve herself.. she's not here for the publicity. She could have stayed in IndyCar and collected a paycheck just the same. GoDaddy is footing the bill for it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:57 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2458323

Quote:
"It's not a sport for women drivers because women never won races in all the years none were racing." - Richard Petty, essentially

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:09 am 

uh oh. Is Richard Petty gonna get in trouble for speaking an inconvenience truth that doesn't make everyone feel good inside?

I do think that someone finishing 10th in their 1st Nationwide series year is a big fucking deal and cements their right to be worthy of competing in that series.

If DP was serious about racing and winning, DP would of stuck to Nationwide.

I'd rather be a big fish in a small sea winning Nationwide races than being a full time backmarker in Cup. But thats what a lot of people rather do for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:03 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My bad, I guess I missed that quote. Yeah, that's a pretty shitty thing to say.

As for the staying in Indycar and collecting a paycheck thing, I have to disagree, you know she's making bank over in NASCAR compared to Indycar. In her 6 years of Indycar, she made almost 6 million, she's already at 4.5 million in NASCAR after 1 season and 10 races in just Sprint cup.

I have no issue with women in NASCAR, or racing in general, but I'm so sick of people treating her differently because she's a woman. I think she'd be shown the door if she was just another regular driver who had to work their way into the sport, which I guess is a whole other can of worms, with people only getting rides due to sponsorship/money anymore.

I still think Johanna Long would turn some heads with decent equipment.. but I think I heard/read she lost her ride in Nationwide.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

She did unfortunately, the team shut down. But yeaa in better equipment she would show something more. Danica was in good equipment, Johanna was in part time equipment and ran ahead of her plenty of times. Difference is that Johanna didn't wear a swimsuit and get photographed sprawling over a car.

Sarah Fisher was in IRL before Danica and never got as much hype.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:36 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's a shame too because Sarah Fisher was good in USAC too before going to the IRL. I thought they made a pretty big deal about her being 19 and on the front row at Homestead. I think she had a pole and ran well at Kentucky too. I'm not sure why Danica gets so much more press. It must be her marketing machine. It's kind of like the Force girls over in NHRA. There are a lot of other women drivers but they get all the ink.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:06 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can't take credit for this; someone in the Nascar Subreddit wrote this gem earlier detailing Danica's career.

Quote:
Danica is the epitome of whats wrong in racing today. Throughout her junior racing career, Danica did not win a single race, nor was rarely in position to do so.

1999: Competed in Formula Vauxhall against future F1 test driver Gary Paffett (an example on the other end of the spectrum, a very talented driver with no sponsorship and is now in DTM) and Ryan Dalziel (USCR). She scored 31 points in her first year, They scored more than 125.

2000:

She ran Formula Ford UK that uses the old F1 points systems (10-6-4-3-2-1), she scored 3 points in 14 races. Among those in that series that year were James Courtney (V8 Supercar champion), Anthony Davidson (Former Super Aguri F1 driver) and Marino Franchitti (first year in this series, USCR). Danica finished 19th out of 20 point scores.

2001: He second season in Formula Ford, was even worse. She scored 10 points on the new points system of 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-3-2-1 and finished 25th. Even worse yet, is that this field was rather anonymous and aside from Patrick Long (American, USCR) most of these drivers didn't move very far up the ladder.

2002:

Danica moved back to the US in 2002 to participate in the Skip Barber Dodge Pro Series. She ran half the races and scored 35 points. In comparison, AJ Allmendinger also in his first Dodge Season, scored 189 points in 10 races and won 4 times, dominating the season and winning the championship. For those that watch Indycar and know about the Mazda road to Indy, this would equivalent to the USF2000 series today.

2003:

Despite Danica finishing rather low moved up to the Toyota Atlantic Series (today's Indy lights). There she finished a respectable 6th place, with 2 podiums. Ahead of her were AJ Allmendinger also in his first year, who won the championship. Ryan Dalziel who finished 2nd, Joey Hand (DTM/USCR BMW Driver) who finished 7th in his first season (in a car that lacked funding and had finished 3rd in the championship 2 years prior with Joey Hand).

2004:

Danica finished 3rd in the Atlantic series with 1 pole, 3 podiums but she lost the championship by a large margin and the battle came down to Ryan Dalzeil and Jon Fogarty (USCR).

2005:

Despite not winning a race, and not competing for a championship, Danica got a drive in Indycar over both Fogarty and Dalzeil who were both eventually relegated to sportscar racing. Danica finished 12th in her first season at RLL in 2005.

2006:

More of the same, finished 9th in Indycar and beat her teammate Buddy Rice.

2007:

Danica moves to one of the Top 3 teams in Indycar and manages to finish 7th place, while her teammates finished 1st, 3rd and 9th and each of them won a race while Danica didn't finish on the podium.

2008:

Danica gets a win against a spilt field (Half of the drivers competed at Long Beach due to the merger of the Champ Car series and Indy) with around 19 drivers (one of the smallest fields in history). She then stretched her fuel a very long time and managed to win a race. But in the other 16 races her best finish was 6th. She finished tied with Marco and behind TK in points, and well ahead of the abysmal pay driver Hideki Mutoh as far as her team goes.

2009:

Best points finish, but had only 1 podium, and Andretti Green were not as competitive against Penske and Ganassi in the following years.

2010:

Danica begins her Nascar foray. During her time Danica has managed an impressive 10 top 10's, 1 top 5, 1 pole position and 0 wins in 108 races in a stock car, and most of those results came against inferior competition.

For comparison:

AJ Allmendinger in his first 108 races (which did not include any ARCA or KN series) another open wheel transplant had 3 Top 5's, 6 top 10's racing for a Red Bull team that couldn't even make the field with Brian Vickers that season.

JPM in his first 108 races had 1 win, 7 top 5's, 16 top 10's and a pole position.

So to recap. Danica got through the open wheel ranks despite having only 4 podiums in 5 years, went to Indycar where she had 3 podiums in 6 years plus a fluke win. Then gets pushed through the stock car ranks with just 1 Top 5 in lower series competition??

If I showed you Danica's statistics, without a name, you'd probably think it was a pay driver. Danica was not. Danica is a sponsored driver with money from Godaddy. I'll same something else that might make the PC world shake alittle, but if these statistics were any other racing driver, male, southern, white, they may make it to Cup but they would not have made it to a second tier program like SHR.

The entire problem is we grade women (and not even all women, see Johanna Long) on a different scale than their male counterparts. Danica is an abysmal racing driver, female or no. Thats the bottom line but she was able to make it to Indycar and NASCAR on the basis of being female, and attractive. Her sponsor played to this fact and showed Danica in bikini's every superbowl for the most part (or a muscle suit).

Richard Petty is right, it will take either 1) NASCAR manipulation which would not surprise me in the slightest 2) A race that came down to fuel mileage (doubtful since NASCAR hates those races nowadays) or 3) Rain.

She will not win based on merit despite driving a Top 20 car home to 33rd every week.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:33 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

The stats speak for themselves. Even if we're not using that as a baseline, she rarely is consistent enough to be finishing even in the top-20, much less top-10/top-5/battling for the win. That being said, she'll get that first Cup victory eventually. Worked well for Michael Waltrip, right?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:46 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yet he fails to mention that in the largest field the series sees and its biggest and most prestigious race.. the Indianapolis 500.. she has amazing statistics. In 7 starts at the Brickyard she had 5 top 10 starts and 6 top 10 finishes against the toughest 33 cars they have. 19 was a small field? Uh most of the 2005-2007 fields were 18-20 cars. It was a fluke win on fuel mileage? I'm certain that Richard Petty or David Pearson or A.J. Foyt never ever won a race on fuel mileage... give me a break. A win is a win. She'll make victory lane before her career is over. Hell Michael Waltrip was 0 for 462 before Dale hired him. Why did Pennzoil sponsor him so long? Why would he have a ride when he never won? How did Ken Schrader stay in the sport so long with so few wins yet he drove for Rick Hendrick? She is just starting her second full year of Sprint Cup racing, give it a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:47 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ryan Preece will be running three Nationwide races for Tommy Baldwin this year.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21180 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1637 638 639 640 6411059 Next