TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 534 Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:37 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

My gf doesn't give a shit, she wants to see racing and rexx.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Scotty wrote:
EAS wrote:
At least, Imola's scenery is quite charming and it is a beauty to watch. Don't think it will be as nice as in the autumn, but still worth it.

I don't get this.

It's Formula 1 not National Geographic. If you want scenery go watch a travel show.

I'd take an awesome race at a featureless track like Bahrain or Austin over a boring-as-paint-drying race at Suzuka or Montreal.

Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive? Best case scenario is an awesome race at a track that looks good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:00 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Fabs wrote:

She needs to head over to NASCAR. They've got her interests all sorted out, especially the "rexx" part :whistling:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
well the race name is very Nascar-ish, perhaps that could bring more rexx, like those in Mugello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:36 pm 

mclaren2008 wrote:
Fabs wrote:

She needs to head over to NASCAR. They've got her interests all sorted out, especially the "rexx" part :whistling:

Is this your attempt at an insult or something?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
Mazepin might survive Tamburello, but not Tosa

He sure is a Tosa.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
EAS wrote:
At least, Imola's scenery is quite charming and it is a beauty to watch. Don't think it will be as nice as in the autumn, but still worth it.

I don't get this.

It's Formula 1 not National Geographic. If you want scenery go watch a travel show.

I'd take an awesome race at a featureless track like Bahrain or Austin over a boring-as-paint-drying race at Suzuka or Montreal.

Me too. But like already said, these don't have to be mutually exclusive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

like I said last year that a race in Imola is better if you attend the race during your vacation as there's lots of things to do and see at Emilia Romagna, specially if you're into cars and racing

for the rest of us watching on TV is just another race

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Imola in April feels oldskool F1 though, when I started watching F1 it was always the first European round, so even if the racing isn't good it makes me feel all warm and nostalgic inside. Let's hope the small white flowers in the grass are growing. I missed those last season in the autumn race

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cookie wrote:
Imola in April feels oldskool F1 though, when I started watching F1 it was always the first European round, so even if the racing isn't good it makes me feel all warm and nostalgic inside. Let's hope the small white flowers in the grass are growing. I missed those last season in the autumn race

Yeah. I remember coming from school just in time to see FP2, and of course capture clips from it along with a dozen of other members. Damn, where have those 15 years gone?

And yeah, I hope we see those flowers. They looked like snow last time in 2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:40 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I have to agree there! It was always nice to see that spring had already arrive in southern Europe and soon, the weather will be better! I'm excited for this weekend, Mercedes and RB will be close, old school track, just that overtaking thing but we'll see about that on Sunday!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
EAS wrote:

I don't get this.

So you wouldn't care if Albert Park became a concrete wonderland like Valencia or they turned Bathurst into Paul Ricard?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Soul Reaver wrote:
So you wouldn't care if Albert Park became a concrete wonderland like Valencia or they turned Bathurst into Paul Ricard?

Neither of those scenarios are remotely possible, even in fantasy land. Not sure what you're getting at here.

I don't care whats possible, I mean, if all you care the the on-track product, you won't mind how all the rest looks? So you wouldn't mind if that happened.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the original post meant that when a boring race happens, a nice track and scenery makes up for it a little bit and the experience is more enjoyable than the same race on a bland scenery.

Scotty you're addressing another point, which is whether we should choose venues based on scenery or based on racing quality, and to that the obvious answer is obvious: based on racing quality.

What murks the water a bit in this debate is that given today's F1 cars, the characteristics that make good racing (Tilkedromes in flat wastelands) and the characteristics that make good scenery (flowing, narrow tracks) are often quite exclusive. So we won't have both until the car is fixed. In GT racing, races are often interesting on both types of tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

seeing today's cars in great tracks like Imola is like seeing a pretty girl with flies on her face

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:15 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The White specs are back, in HD I see now that it ain´t really flowers Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Does the safety car complete 63 laps or is this just some sort of setup run for TV crews?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I really doubt that the Mercedes AMG GT brakes aren't able to stand 63 laps with those times

They'll eventually fade out and Maylander will beach the car on Tamburello gravel trap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:D

I request the full lap video. :p

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Soul Reaver wrote:
I don't care whats possible, I mean, if all you care the the on-track product, you won't mind how all the rest looks? So you wouldn't mind if that happened.

But it couldn't happen...?

Absolutely I'd prefer a race track with scenery than without but it makes up like 2-3% of what makes a race track great.

Here's a scenario for you. Would you watch a race at a boring, featureless track, if you knew it was going to be a 10/10 race, heaps of wrex, battle for the lead, variable weather, retirements, awesome strategy with an underdog winner, or a race at Spa where the race ends with Lewis winning by 50 seconds, no-one retires and there is no overtakes?

Who cares if flowers bloom in Autumn on the side of the race track at Imola. Yeah it looks kinda cool, but if the track sucks for F1 then it doesn't belong and if a race in Arabia where some action is likely and overtaking is possible, then I'd still choose it over Imola.

I might prefer the Spa race indeed. A boring race at Spa might already be a 6 our 7/10 because the looks, the history, tradition. But mostly the sensation of speed and a circuit design not created the cure F1 old cancer of lack of overtakes making it a very mickey mouse track.

Like if you but a cat in a room with a brush tied on his tail, then scare him away to move all over the room. The drawing that he put on the floor, is the new Herman Tilke track design. It was great on the first 3 tracks, then it got over-saturated.

Edit: Specially after Turkey, just straights, slow corners and a repeat of that damn fast multi-apex turn. Anyway, the circuits don't have to be turned into a parking lot to produce better racing. IS THE CAR THAT NEED FIXING!!!!!

And yeah, if the race is the best ever I won't mind the venue that much. But, with Spa, Suzuka and Melbourne as competition, the bar starts very very high already. :thumbsup:

Last edited by Soul Reaver on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 534 Next