TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 922 posts ]  Go to page Previous 143 44 45 46 47 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:21 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The part of me that remembers when NASCAR was a real sport wants them to just run the set laps and finish it under yellow if they need to. But the rest of me thinks since they've fucked it up this much in the name of entertainment, they might as well just do infinity GWCs. Anyone seriously thinking that would be acceptable from a safety and organisational point of view is demented btw.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

dr dog wrote:
This thread used to be 100 pages long. :(

Of the following replies,
Green Flag
_____ Leads
Caution
_____ Passes ____
Crash

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:28 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I would have been ok if they had thrown the yellow in turn one right after the #23 wrecked, or if they didn't even throw the yellow flag at all. but, throwing it a good 20 seconds after the wreck is inexcusably inept in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:47 am 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

FUCK

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:36 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Isn't the problem that they threw the yellow at a random time?

GWCs are fine, because everyone plays to the same rules.
No GWCs are fine, because everyone plays to the same rules.
Deciding the race result on the backstretch by a press of a button is not fine, because it's left up to a man in the booth to decide.

Frankly, it's all very NASCAR like. They happily move the goal posts and make extremely questionable decisions when the evidence contradicts the decision. This one just struck me as a case of "Well, that is when NASCAR decided who they wanted to win".

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:07 pm 

I feel the same way as most.

The car was spinning and shedding body parts well before the line, and they're usually quick to throw cautions, to the point where as soon as someone is sideways it's out.

If the same wreck had happened on the back straight then I could understand not immediately putting the yellow out, as by the time they get around to the back straight they're slowed down.

Awesome racing. But one of the biggest meh finishes ever.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Philthy82 wrote:
The part of me that remembers when NASCAR was a real sport wants them to just run the set laps and finish it under yellow if they need to. But the rest of me thinks since they've fucked it up this much in the name of entertainment, they might as well just do infinity GWCs. Anyone seriously thinking that would be acceptable from a safety and organisational point of view is demented btw.

Truck series used to be that way. I believe it took 5 or 6 attempts at IRP back in the day.

ARCA still does it this way. They have no set number of times. DIRT used that rule at Syracuse last year. Took three or four shots to get it in. 200 lap race wound up going I think 215 or 220 with all the caution laps. If these peeon series can do it than surely NASCAR can.

Or... Once the white is in the air, they race back to the line. Throw the yellow if need be, but alls fair on the last lap. If they wreck in the trioval on the last lap coming to the checker there isn't anyone taking their foot off the gas anyway so it doesn't matter what color silk the flagger is waving at that point.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nobody said anything about Dale Jr's. post race comments yesterday.

He basically said Wise moved up to get his push and there was no way in hell he was pushing that car to the front, and basically admitted to dropping the car out of the pack and giving up.

Spoiled brat crybaby.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SecretAgentHarvick wrote:
Nobody said anything about Dale Jr's. post race comments yesterday.

He basically said Wise moved up to get his push and there was no way in hell he was pushing that car to the front, and basically admitted to dropping the car out of the pack and giving up.

Spoiled brat crybaby.

Article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... y/8701261/

Quote:
"You know they're going to crash and I can't afford to wreck anymore here," said Earnhardt, who sustained a concussion in a multi-car crash at Talladega in October 2012. "You've just got to pick your battles, and I felt like we were better off not getting in a wreck and trying to stay back there."

"We already got a win, and I've been in too many late-race wrecks," he said. "I didn't want to be no part of it."

I kinda wonder if Jr has lost "it", if that makes sense. If I was a fan of his, I'd be extremely disappointed. If you get to the point where you don't go for a win, that makes me wonder.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well if you're already in the chase why risk it.

I can understand considering all the concussions he's had.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This shit makes me laugh every time.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I was honestly under the impression that the #98 car checked up when a couple other drivers pulled out in front of him.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had a quote in my head but couldn't remember it, finally found it, it was a Senna quote, go figure.

Quote:
By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for victory, it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. I race to win as long as I feel it's possible. Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it's impossible to get it right all the time. But I race designed to win, as long as I feel I'm doing it right.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wonder if the possibility of a secondary line would be feasible?

For example, the wreck happens in the tri oval like it did yesterday. If it's under a GWC situation, and the field can't make it back to the S/F line safely, NASCAR calls yellow, and instead of checking up, they race back to another line on the backstretch.

If the crash happens coming to the white on the backstretch, race back to the normal line. If it happens on the front stretch, race to the secondary line. This way it still ends under yellow, but the winner isn't decided by when an official presses a button. It's actually decided by the drivers on the track.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think that'd be too confusing. NASCAR tried to let them race it out to the end instead of throwing the yellow immediately (I think before the leaders were at S/F?), but that giant piece of Allgaier's nose kinda shot them in the foot.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I still can't get my head around DW blaming Brad for the incident with Danica, saying he came down the track across her. It looks to me like he holds his lane the whole time and she comes up massively. On a Facebook discussion, no one agreed with me. Is my hatred of the Danica hype making me see things?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, it was her fault 100%

Anyone that says different is an idiot.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hah, wow.. I totally thought that wreck was his fault this whole time.. I just watched the replay, yeah, she moved up 1 - 1 1/2 lanes into him.

I was an idiot until now. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I would need to look at it again, but at the time I instantly said it was 90% her fault (it did look like Brad was coming down, but if she hadn't been driving like my Dad then there wouldn't have been contact).

She as much admitted on the radio too that she wasn't even looking where she was driving and was looking in the mirror at the time...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well, Brad moved down a little from the cars behind him, so she probably used them as a reference to get some side-draft, something she did a lot before that with no problem. Also she barely crossed the white-striped line, if that serves as any reference. Meanwhile, Keselowski though she still was close to the yellow line, and with his momentum he probably would have her cleared when he got close to touching her, but she was in his blind spot and the spotters normally only say that there's a car below, not exactly where. Both weren't looking at each other and guessed wrong where each one was.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 922 posts ]  Go to page Previous 143 44 45 46 47 Next