TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1277 278 279 280 281335 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fish88 wrote:
siggy wrote:
Robin Frijns is not really the smartest guy out there. I don't know him and i cannot claim that i've followed him 'all his career'. But seeing that Magnussen in a worse F3.5 field then Frijns won the title and is gonna be promoted to a top team in F1, and Frijns still on the side lines, I wonder if he just shouldn't have taken the Red Bull support. Or any support at all. Maybe it's a Dutch mentality, or he is just trying to be Villeneuve/Irvine way too soon, but he shot himself in the foot i think.

Agree with Frijns being dumb rejecting Red Bull. He didn't wanted to drive for Arden (because they were new in FR3.5). He only looked at the short term and now on the long term his career is pretty much ruined. Look at Sainz, he destroyed that guy in every class he drove against him and look who is most probably to make F1... F1 nowadays is like Football, you won't get into if you are outside of a talent program.

I don't think it is a Dutch Mentality. He wanted to get in F1 on base of talent and the bas of money like previous Dutch Pay drivers like Verstappen, Albers, Doornbos and now Van der Garde. But guess who is defending the honour of our country nowadays :flag: :oops:.

On one side I can understand his decision to not go for Red Bull. They have a big program with lots of drivers for only 4 seats in F1. But on the other hand, he has no real backup plan. The days of making it on merit alone are gone. Either you have a rich daddy, big sponsorship behind you or are part of a young driver thing of a team.

StefMeister wrote:
Would be a bit harsh for McLaren to dump Perez after 1 season in which the car has been crap.

Magnussen's a top talent from what i've seen of him in WSBR but coming into a top F1 team with all the pressure that includes in a season which will feature such a big rule change with the new power units is going to be tough.

His dad once was called the new Senna. And that wasn't Bruno they where referring to.
It's unfair to Perez and they're taking a huge gamble with Magnussen. But it did work out with Hamilton.

BTW: the link says Alonso will race despite back injury. Not that he's fit.
Quote:
Insiders say Alonso will not be completely fit but he will drive as best he can, starting in practice on Friday.

If Ferrari is smart they send him home if true. Ok, he can still get #2 but if something happens and he has to take more time to recover it will hurt 2014 for them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:12 pm 
Permabanned

Karan wrote:
I haven't been keeping up to date but...what are the current rumors on where Perez would end up for next season?

Sauber, Force India or Lotus :D
( http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/11/ ... t-mclaren/ )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:56 pm 

Magnussen did very well indeed in FR 3.5 and only had Felix da Costa and Vandoorne ocasionally beating him, but it's far from rare to see drivers not live up to their promisses once in F1, and maybe his father is the ultimate example of that.

Fish88 wrote:
I don't think it is a Dutch Mentality. He wanted to get in F1 on base of talent and the bas of money like previous Dutch Pay drivers like Verstappen, Albers, Doornbos and now Van der Garde. But guess who is defending the honour of our country nowadays :flag: :oops:.

Was Jos, the boss, really a pay driver? He wasn't kart world champion only because his car failed close to the end when he was leading and I think Trulli ended up getting it.

He then jumped into the German F3 series and won it confortably. Mclaren and Benneton wanted him after a very good test at Estoril with Arrows.

He showed a lot more results and performances in the ladder to F1 than hyped mediocre drivers like Pic, Bianchi(far from mediocre but Chilton is doing wonders to flatter him)and Vergne. Just to pick drivers from this year's grid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:39 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Martin Whitmarsh is really making me not like McLaren and what they stand for anymore. Didn't know that anyone could be more of a dick than Ron Dennis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ron Dennis wasn't a dick though, he knew his job, and more importantly, knew how to get others to do their jobs too. Don't confuse dedication for arrogance, or being a dick.

Martin Whitmarsh is the wrong man in the wrong job, his cosy hosey it'll be fine we're all human attitude isn't what's needed in that team, when that team was in it's heyday, it was run by one man with an iron fist, if you didn't do your job, you found another one sharpish.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:12 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes Ian you are correct about Dennis, I should have phrased that as "come across as a dick". Whitmarsh is just a dick.

I think he is one of those guys that gets promoted just out of sheer amount of service given to the company, or someone that implemented one good thing in their career and gets praised for that, when in reality they are pretty incompetent ala Sam Michael and Mike Gascoyne.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:53 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

It seems that every team Sam Michael has gone to, they always end up being worse off by the time he leaves. Just look at Williams.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:56 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Williams still suck and sam has been gone for awhile.
Whitmarsh is very unpredictable and with all these rumors he says nothing :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Fish88 wrote:

Was Jos, the boss, really a pay driver? He wasn't kart world champion only because his car failed close to the end when he was leading and I think Trulli ended up getting it.

He then jumped into the German F3 series and won it confortably. Mclaren and Benneton wanted him after a very good test at Estoril with Arrows.

He showed a lot more results and performances in the ladder to F1 than hyped mediocre drivers like Pic, Bianchi(far from mediocre but Chilton is doing wonders to flatter him)and Vergne. Just to pick drivers from this year's grid.

Jos joined Benetton on merits. Had the bad luck he was pushed in the pool too soon and while driving for a team that focused only on Schumacher.
He could have gone to McLaren but they couldnt guarantee a racing seat for 1995 which Benetton could.
He also could have taken on Willy Weber as his manager but stuck with Rothengarther which likely has hurt his career as well. He could sign for a then good Jordan but his manager demanded an extra zero behind his salary.
He himself also made dumb decisions. After Williams released Zanardi they offered him a contract which had a results clause. If he wasn't good enough, they could let him go. He felt he was too good for such a contract and only wanted a contract for at least 1 season.

In the end he did leave F1 as a paydriver.

Last edited by micha on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:34 am 

scarsurfing wrote:
Williams still suck and sam has been gone for awhile.
Whitmarsh is very unpredictable and with all these rumors he says nothing :lol:

Yes they've been in trouble for years. Hopefully they can recover.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
micha wrote:
After Williams released Zanardi they offered him a contract which had a results clause. If he wasn't good enough, they could let him go. He felt he was too good for such a contract and only wanted a contract for at least 1 season.

if Jos raced in Williams, you've never heard about Montoya in F1, just imagine that Compaq BMW crashing over and over :p

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
micha wrote:
After Williams released Zanardi they offered him a contract which had a results clause. If he wasn't good enough, they could let him go. He felt he was too good for such a contract and only wanted a contract for at least 1 season.

if Jos raced in Williams, you've never heard about Montoya in F1, just imagine that Compaq BMW crashing over and over :p

I think we wouldn't have heard about Button (at least not in a Williams). Montoya was under Williams interest since his F3000 time. He tested in 1997 and 1998, and left for America to gain some experience.

Never heard the Jos story about Williams. What a dumb decision (afterwards talking is easy ofcourse), but I guess he put all his money back then on the Honda effort he was involved in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:41 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

My guess is both Force India drivers out and Hulkenberg back alongside Perez.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fish88 wrote:
Never heard the Jos story about Williams. What a dumb decision (afterwards talking is easy ofcourse), but I guess he put all his money back then on the Honda effort he was involved in.

maybe the performance clause made some weight on the decision after what happened to him at benetton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:09 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Do not click this link if you don't want to get blind:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111262

(When you think it can't get any uglier after the step noses you are wrong)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

That's not been hit by the ugly branch, it's been battered to death by it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:41 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

All I could think of after reading Echti's link was this actor (SFW)...

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

and year by year seasons goes by and formula one is digging one inch at a time of their own grave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

*dies*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh fuck, i clicked Echtis link..
Oh mann, whats next monster truck tyres, fighter jet turbines???
Why cant the cars be like late 80s or early 90. Or like in 2002, 03,04???

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1277 278 279 280 281335 Next