TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 2731 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If the tyres were been damaged by the kurbs, Surely we would have seen some signs of it through the weekend with some cuts on the tyres through F1 practice & also in the support categories.

If it was debris I still see that as a worry as the amount of 'debris' failures we have seen this year suggest's that the 2013 tyres are more prone to suffering damage than other tyres.

Whatever the cause we have seen so many issues this year I think its clear changes need to be made regardless of certain teams not wanting anything to be changed.

Sky just showed some shots of Rosberg's tyre starting to delaminate, Had a big chunk of the tread missing across the centre of the tyre when it was taken off the car.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
Ok so now everyone has calmed down, perhaps we should have a discussion about stuff (tyres especially) that don't result in "suck it" and "fuck you".

There are 2 possible scenarios regarding tyre failure.

1 - something on the track, be it debris or a damaged kerb was causing it.
2 - the tyres suffered failures on there own.

Lets address these separately.

If it was the track (most likely a kerb or debris from various incidents if it were) then the tyres are obviously quite sensitive to such objects, probably as a result of the type of tyre Pirelli is trying to build to help F1. BUT, if it was debris, nobody will listen or care. Pirelli will still get the blame, especially by fans, a few teams and drivers. The loser in it all would be Pirelli - they'll leave, and the fans are the biggest losers.

If it was a structural failure then this goes hand in hand with the changes Pirelli wanted to make and were told no, they could not do it. So Pirellis argument would be that they seen there was an issue, wanted to change it, and some teams and the FIA said no. They asked to test, did one with Mercedes, and got in trouble. So what are they meant to do there? Once again, the loser is Pirelli - they'll leave, and the fans are the biggest losers.

No matter what the cause, Pirelli will get blamed, probably leave, and we as the fans will suffer. And all because F1 teams cannot get along enough.

I should say, regarding my post earlier about what was "acceptable" to post, that was made by me as a user, not as a mod. I didn't mean to imply that I'd get people in trouble for it, more I was disappointed in how some people react to certain situations. It's like cheering and booing things. It's massively disrespectful in a sport that is generally quite good in that regard. And I feel saying "suck it" to Horner because of his statements about the tyres is stunningly short sighted given the major beneficiary of the situation was Mercedes, who are more involved in the tyre debates than every other team combined, to the point they were found guilty of violating the regulations in the FIA court. So that's just an awful excuse to post something that I personally find disappointingly abusive. Again, I'm posting that as my own view, not as a staff member.

It's nothing to do about his statements on the tyres, and they were found guilty of rule violations mainly due to the FIA having no clue how to properly converse and explain their own rules to the teams.

Cheering and booing things disrespectful? Nonsense. That's what sport is - it is team versus team, man versus man. Senna and Prost. Hill and Schumacher. Reutemann and Jones. Not everyone is a neutral purist and if they were holy crap would the sport be dull.

Oh, and again, I said at the time I felt sorry for the driver. Christian Horner, not. The tyre gate saga makes up about 10% of why.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:16 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

A lot warmer today than it was in practice.

Probably a combination of the tyres, kerbs and the temperatures which caused them to fail.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
RtN wrote:
As I posted in the farce thread, if the failures were as a result of tyre construction, why did they suddenly stop after the first safety car?

Regardless of what the cause was, I hope that this gives all the teams holding out on construction changes the kick up the arse they need to OK them. Those tyres should've been in use this weekend.

I don't think it was a coincidence that we had a whole bunch of failures after a bunch of debris was on the circuit, then it stopped when the track was cleaned, and then we had one more after there was debris on the circuit again.

Yup, this was posted at the Fastlane by Erwin too, the curbs are all like it at Silverstone and it was plainly obvious the drivers were dropping wheels off exiting the last corner and other places like Becketts.

It's the easy option to blame the tyre manufacturer for a tyre failure when you don't take everything else into consideration.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gary Anderson just showed on BBC how much of a Kerb was sticking out, probably was the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:22 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

MaTT wrote:
It's nothing to do about his statements on the tyres, and they were found guilty of rule violations mainly due to the FIA having no clue how to properly converse and explain their own rules to the teams.

Completely disagree with that, and Mercedes knew EXACTLY what they were doing which is why they had unbranded helmets and high security. The "explain the rules" excuse is an amazing cop out which the FIA only bought because they need Mercedes to stick around as an engine supplier. Any idea that Mercedes didn't know what they were doing is just stunningly and amazing short sighted.

Quote:
Cheering and booing things disrespectful? Nonsense. That's what sport is - it is team versus team, man versus man. Senna and Prost. Hill and Schumacher. Reutemann and Jones. Not everyone is a neutral purist and if they were holy crap would the sport be dull.

Oh, and again, I said at the time I felt sorry for the driver. Christian Horner, not. The tyre gate saga makes up about 10% of why.

Completely disagree with that. I managed to go on forums as a Vettel fan and not post stuff like suck it and fuck you when he takes the lead. Similarly I think Martin Whistmarsh is by the most slimey, dodgy man in the paddock since Flavio was here, and I managed to not post such things when Perez tyre blew, or McLaren struggle (which they do a LOT now days). Supporting is one thing, but I think it leaves a bad taste when such comments are made. Nobody is 100% neutral. Not everybody manages to post such comments.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fish88 wrote:
Gary Anderson just showed on BBC how much of a Kerb was sticking out, probably was the problem.
All kerb's are like that though & that kurb has been like that since 2010.

Plus as Anthony Davidson pointed out during his analysis, Running over that kurb has been the racing line in every category since they altered the track in 2010.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, at least we agree on Martin Whitmarsh :lol:

Look, let's just agree to disagree on this one. Obviously a lot of my reasoning is down to things I can't say even on a password protected forum, and as ever I respect your opinions as you're one of the folks here who really knows their stuff.

I'll just zip it from now on anything Red Bull related ;).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So if this is the race that seals the fate of Pirelli, what other supplier is ready, willing and able to supplier tyres in less than 6 months to the entire grid and hhave technical data to them before the end of the year? Remembering that Michelin did't exactly leave F1 on good terms, and was basically only there because of Edouard Michelin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Once in a while, Atlas turns up something brilliant - there were 4 Michelin punctures during the weekend of the 2004 Belgian GP (Button, Coulthard, Montoya, and Briscoe in practice). The cause was the kerbs, in particular the kerb at the Bus Stop.

It has happened before.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Completely disagree with that, and Mercedes knew EXACTLY what they were doing which is why they had unbranded helmets and high security. The "explain the rules" excuse is an amazing cop out which the FIA only bought because they need Mercedes to stick around as an engine supplier. Any idea that Mercedes didn't know what they were doing is just stunningly and amazing short sighted.

One thing that I haven't actually heard anybody say about this was that their whole argument seemed to rest around an email exchange with Charlie Whitting.....Now I would have thought official confirmation for using a 2013 car in season when it is explicitly banned would have come from an official confirmation letter from the FIA. Now unless the email from Charlie specifically said "I Charle Whitting as Cheif Technical Director with the FIA, upon confirmation with the FIA's legal department, expressly give approval for Mercedes to test their 2013 car, even though it is against the technical regulations" then Mercedes argument would have merrit. However from what I have read, that express consent wasn't the case.
Those emails should have been tossed out.

As Ellis points out, they knew exactly what they were doing, and I dare whisper that they planned the whole thing this way as well, that without that email exchange they couldn'T have bent the FIA over and had them between a rock and a hard place. Those emails were their way out of it, and they knew that before they even tested, hence the smug looks on Ross Brawn's face when announcing they had emails to back them up.

I just don't think they thought it would blow up the way it did.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm not sure what's more cringeworthy, McLaren's performance in 2013 or these McLaren cartoons.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

RtN wrote:
Once in a while, Atlas turns up something brilliant - there were 4 Michelin punctures during the weekend of the 2004 Belgian GP (Button, Coulthard, Montoya, and Briscoe in practice). The cause was the kerbs, in particular the kerb at the Bus Stop.

It has happened before.

Yeah but Bus/stop was modified that year. The curbs at Silverstone have not been changed since 2010.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:22 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I don't know how to react to this race. It was amazingly exciting, but maybe for not all the right reasons.

I also don't know what caused the issues, I'm not a fully qualified tyre tech so I don't feel like I'll be furthering the discussion in any way.
All I can HOPE for is that it was debris related, not tyre construction related.

This is what happens when you get a hot, sunny day in England, no-one knows how to handle it :p

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Echti wrote:
RtN wrote:

It has happened before.

Yeah but Bus/stop was modified that year. The curbs at Silverstone have not been changed since 2010.

How do you know that? Curbs are removed and modified depending on the series that visits a circuit. Silverstone hosts multiple different types of racing series, two wheels and four throughout a season.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
RtN wrote:
As I posted in the farce thread, if the failures were as a result of tyre construction, why did they suddenly stop after the first safety car?

Regardless of what the cause was, I hope that this gives all the teams holding out on construction changes the kick up the arse they need to OK them. Those tyres should've been in use this weekend.

I don't think it was a coincidence that we had a whole bunch of failures after a bunch of debris was on the circuit, then it stopped when the track was cleaned, and then we had one more after there was debris on the circuit again.

I'm not sure. Wasn't Rosberg's tyre on the verge of a failure? Other teams must have been marginal at other times.

It's not uncommon to see pieces of carbon fibre on the circuit throughout an entire race, without anyone picking up a puncture.

My guess would still be the curb. I know they're probably identical to other FIA circuits, but that doesn't mean a part of it couldn't have been damaged.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rosberg called to the stewards for going too fast under yellow flags.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Uh-oh...

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:30 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

They're not gonna change shit, maybe a fine and a reprimand but the race will stand.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 2731 Next