TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 530 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Exactly. It's just another excuse for people to bitch and moan about DRS, when in reality people have forgotten what actually happened last year. For instance, the battle between Hamilton and Webber which saw the RBR completely unable to pass the McLaren despite having the DRS aid.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have never liked nor will I ever like these Tilke's stadium parking areas with no elevation difference or a chance a spin would be harmful.
Ironically, the race will supposedly be a huge thriller in comparison to those at traditional circuits. I wish it would be other way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The constantly ongoing debate about DRS makes me want to leave this forum forever!!!

Yes this is a discussion forum but no I don't want to read about the same subject over and over again. PLEASE, we now know who is pro and who is against, can we please drop it and talk about the weather or how old Schumacher is?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Autosport says there was only 29 yet clip the apex's overtaking stats has 46?

The odd thing about them making the zone longer is that while there was some easy DRS passes last year, There was also a decent amount of good racing going into the braking zone which were then continued down the following straight.

By making the DRS zone longer I think we may end up seeing more of the easier passing & less of the battling into the braking zone we saw last year.

They have also moved the detection point before turn 1 so any passing done there may see DRS do nothing but allow that driver to use it to pull away taking away any possibility for the overtaken car to try & fight back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Omega wrote:
The constantly ongoing debate about DRS makes me want to leave this forum forever!!!

Yes this is a discussion forum but no I don't want to read about the same subject over and over again. PLEASE, we now know who is pro and who is against, can we please drop it and talk about the weather or how old Schumacher is?

The weather will be fine. Emlyn Hughes was pointing out how unlikely it is for F1 to spend 2 weeks in the Far East and not have any track time disrupted by rain, but that's what's going to happen.

Schumacher is 43.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:44 pm 
Eddie Jordan

I really like this track. Nice to see a track making DRS work. It was too hard at Suzuka!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Exactly. It's just another excuse for people to bitch and moan about DRS, when in reality people have forgotten what actually happened last year. For instance, the battle between Hamilton and Webber which saw the RBR completely unable to pass the McLaren despite having the DRS aid.

First of all, my post was formulated as a genuine question, precisely because my memory might have been playing tricks on me and I was asking confirmation.

Secondly, I remember the RB problem to overtake because they have the crappiest top speed. But many of the other passes made by faster teams (Mercedes, Mclarens...) were done in a very easy fashion with DRS giving too much an advantage to the car behind.

So if there were little overtakes that year, it's not because the DRS was ineffective, and Jason's autosport article proves nothing. It's not about the frequency of overtakes, it's about how easy it is when the overtake actually takes place.

Omega wrote:

Read the page again and take a chill pill.

Nowhere there was a discussion pro or against DRS. We are only discussing the actual length of the DRS zone in response to the article, it is a recurrent subject but it's a key element to the races nowadays. Just like weather, tyres and Schumacher's diaper brand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 pm 

phil1993 wrote:
Race is at 7am BST. Lord knows why they've done that with both Japan and Korea.

I actually quite like the layout (except the pointlessly lengthy straight) but the surroundings are indeed terrible.

S1 is crap, but the rest of the layout is one of the best pieces in whole calendar imo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:15 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

coldtyre wrote:
kals wrote:

First of all, my post was formulated as a genuine question, precisely because my memory might have been playing tricks on me and I was asking confirmation.

Secondly, I remember the RB problem to overtake because they have the crappiest top speed. But many of the other passes made by faster teams (Mercedes, Mclarens...) were done in a very easy fashion with DRS giving too much an advantage to the car behind.

Sooooooo faster cars overtaking slower cars then?

Not really a DRS issue is it?

If people don't get by via DRS they find a way to bitch about it anyway. KERS makes passing to easy, Pirelli makes passing too easy.
Or if they don't get by they bitch about their driver being "held up" and his strategy being compromised.

Bottom line, I'd much rather have this debate race after race than the same old "F1 is shit, cars only pass in pit lane and back off after the last stops" debate like we did in the refuelling era.

There's always something to moan about....

Also the track, I've been around it thousands of times on F1 2011 and watched the races from here so far.....still can't picture it in my mind's eye.
Doesn't strike me as anything special it seems, nothing worth remembering. Long straight and a final flat out chicane before the start finish straight....that's honestly all I can picture.
Not great...

Oh, that and smog. Lots of smog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:39 am 

kals wrote:
For instance, the battle between Hamilton and Webber which saw the RBR completely unable to pass the McLaren despite having the DRS aid.

IIRC, if anything, DRS only interfered in the battle in a bad way, wasn't it? Didn't Webber make a "legitimate" overtake on Lewis, to then just be re-overtook due to DRS?

But at least this will be fixed this year:
StefMeister wrote:
They have also moved the detection point before turn 1 so any passing done there may see DRS do nothing but allow that driver to use it to pull away taking away any possibility for the overtaken car to try & fight back.

PS: I know DRS passes are legitimate as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:07 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I think they are getting better with the DRS zones now i dont mind it as much lately.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Also the track, I've been around it thousands of times on F1 2011 and watched the races from here so far.....still can't picture it in my mind's eye.
Doesn't strike me as anything special it seems, nothing worth remembering. Long straight and a final flat out chicane before the start finish straight....that's honestly all I can picture.
Not great...

Goddammit you pissed me off with the rest of your post, but this is spot on. :lol:

I've been wondering the same yesterday and started watching some onboards, it was like discovering the track again. :o

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:04 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Oh here we go

Last edited by phil1993 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:14 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

:lol: :lol: it was always going to happen :D

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Fryslân, The Netherlands, TBK-member since May 7th, 2003

:tumble:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:39 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:46 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Back in the day it used to be Brazil and Imola as the 2 anticlockwise tracks on the calendar, where driver fitness was tested. Then Turkey came along and made it 3.

There seems to have been an obsession with anti clockwise circuits since then with Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Korea and the USA now being anticlockwise tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:48 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

what is this whole 'gangman' thing?! I must have missed something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tobias wrote:
what is this whole 'gangman' thing?! I must have missed something.

One of korean singer PSY's songs has gone mental recently, I actually really like it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:58 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

It's a pretty decent and catchy song. And it takes the piss out of people who pretend to be part of the high end 'gangnam' culture of the region, which is fun too.

Edit: And the video is fucking hilarious.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 530 Next