TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62123 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
Does Bernie still live in Brazil? He might not have long to go.

Yes, he still lives in Brazil. But if you believe he's about to be gone because of COVID, I have some bad news. An ultra-wealthy person like him is safe here, dare I say, safer than he would be anywhere in the world perhaps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thestig88 wrote:
iks wrote:
James B wrote:
Strong stuff, as it should be

By the way, Bernie's not a Boomer. He's 89

And global politics has no place in F1, F1Media. So you can keep your opinions to yourself. (not talking to you James B)

It's really annoying how politics has permeated almost every facet of life. You just cannot escape the bullshit these days. :yes:

Politicising things is a great way of controlling things (and people).

Hate to say that, but everything is political in some sense. Some things become a matter of political parties, which is awful because it's a fuel for polarization and tribalism. Hiding the difference between politics and political groups is politics too.

But seriously, if there is something that is really tied to global politics it is F1. And I mean it in a historical sense - think of the places it raced in the past and the ones it races now - and I mean it in the sense of their speech and how they walk their talk.

It is cool to see the new owners speaking against racism and making an effort to make the races more palatable to a female audience for example. But these are the same people who will close a deal with Saudi Aramco. Who knows? Perhaps these guys are just even greedier than Ecclestone was and they just know this speech sells. In the end of the day we can use the world context to either praise or to bash them. It goes both ways

But F1 is totally tied to global politics in the end of the day. We can all be naive and think of F1 just as a bunch of guys spinning around circuits in the world, but it wouldn't be a billionaire sport if it wasn't tied to the world as a whole as it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
F1 is losing a great way into making themselves more conscious into these issues. Like cosmetic companies that head forward "real beauty" instead of the usual plastic surgery famous women, or like when Gilette and Nike made some progressist campaigns.

Does it mean they are really a bunch of liberals supporting these actions? Maybe
Do they just look into the buzz and the potential profits into making people believe they care? Definately

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The only reason F1 does anything is because of money. If they're targeting those kind of markets then that's only because they think it'll make them more money than appeasing their traditional, stick in the mud, white male fan base

Despite what the media and politicians try to portray, people are becoming more accepting of a wider standard of beauty or have had enough of the shady practices of corporations etc, so if those companies want to continue making their billions, it only makes sense to alter their practices or go out of business

There's no secret woke agenda behidn it all, just companies trying to adapt to a change in attitudes to continue to make money.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:38 pm 

To expand on iks point further, watching and following Formula 1 will be an "escapism" from the unpleasantness of the world and life in general for some people, and with the aforementioned Politics now encroaching further into multiple aspects of life, F1 (for those who just want to watch "racing") sadly no longer becomes an escape mechanism, but just another avenue for political and social / progressive agendas to be forced upon folk.

I really find it quite nauseating that people will all of a sudden "care" about things the media tells them to care about, yet, for example, thousands of young girls suffer horrific sexual abuse at the hands of grooming gangs here in the UK (with the authorities actively covering it up), and no one gives a toss because the media doesn't whip it up and "encourage" people to go out protesting and have a big fucking cry about it. People will believe what the media tells them to believe, and its quite hard to believe that many "so called" intellectual folk lap it all up and happily jump on bandwagons, blissfully ignorant to all the facts, and the many other horrors going on in the world which could do with being prioritised.

Lewis calling out drivers for not "making a statement" - he doesn't get to dictate how other people choose to react and respond to things, if he thinks he can, then that opens up a whole other can of worms....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:06 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

thestig88 wrote:
I really find it quite nauseating that people will all of a sudden "care" about things the media tells them to care about, yet, for example, thousands of young girls suffer horrific sexual abuse at the hands of grooming gangs here in the UK (with the authorities actively covering it up), and no one gives a toss because the media doesn't whip it up and "encourage" people to go out protesting and have a big fucking cry about it.

Except that this is entirely untrue - it was big news at the time it broke, and I've heard the whole thing repeated ad fucking nauseum for years here ever since, especially from the far right, usually saying exactly the same thing that you're saying about how "no one ever talks about it" and trying to whip up people into protesting and having a big fucking cry about it

This isn't the place for an argument about this but I'm not going to sit here and let nonsense like that go unchallenged. Equality, diversity and social justice is in the news because a huge number of people want it. Yes, corporations are dominated by old white men who are shitting bricks about this (which is great), but equally there are a lot of people in these organisations who sincerely want change too. It's not entirely cynical and self-absorbed - don't assume other people share your own moral standards

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:16 pm 

thestig88 wrote:
I really find it quite nauseating that people will all of a sudden "care" about things the media tells them to care about, yet, for example, thousands of young girls suffer horrific sexual abuse at the hands of grooming gangs here in the UK (with the authorities actively covering it up), and no one gives a toss because the media doesn't whip it up and "encourage" people to go out protesting and have a big fucking cry about it. People will believe what the media tells them to believe, and its quite hard to believe that many "so called" intellectual folk lap it all up and happily jump on bandwagons, blissfully ignorant to all the facts, and the many other horrors going on in the world which could do with being prioritised.

Yes, but what you are forgetting is that most people are really fucking stupid. Most people don't try and educate themselves on things that have no effect on them.

So of course they will only care about what the media tells them. If people don't know anything, they can't care about anything either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:20 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I was about to say, that whole post was more enlightening about the kind of rabbit hole of social media you're down, if the phrase "being forced to have a progressive agenda" wasn't enough
Protip: no one is going to force anyone to be progressive/woke/left wing or whatever the right wing sites like to scaremonger about.
They will point to areas that need change and attitudes that are hurtful to a certain group of people and then hope people realise that hatred and fearmongering can only go so far and make their own decisions about how their own opinions and beliefs affect others

Progress doesn't come about at the barrell of a gun, it comes from individuals deciding they want to make the world a better place all by themselves.

Also trying to control the narrative is whataboutery bullshit of the highest order.
"There's this campaign happening now in reaction to THIS incident, but that's annoying to me so I'd rather point to this made up right wing fearmongering because it's apparently more important to me"

A) As James said, it's not true, and B) We've all seen 100 separate memes of a house on fire and someone else pointing to a house not on fire and saying "What about my house?"
It's just trying to deliberately undermine the cause that needs attention right now.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:59 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Is everyone too busy with politics to start the GP thread?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I usually do on the monday before the race weekend as in the sunday it could have any racing so I just don't want to flood

but will be one thread for the next two races, as they are being held at the same venue?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:02 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yeah we need a thread so we can pointlessly speculate about the chances of RAIN!! a week or more before the race :8:

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

3 pages of speculations and failed expectations to 2 pages of boredom and kimi pits and F1 is dead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:42 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
I usually do on the monday before the race weekend as in the sunday it could have any racing so I just don't want to flood

but will be one thread for the next two races, as they are being held at the same venue?

I vote two different threads because the GPs have different names, doesn't really matter though

As for rain -

:8:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:16 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

That'll change

ATM here in England it's either been ridiculously sunny or huge thunderstorms, I've been looking through the schedules and working out what races would be wet

The last 2 BTCC rounds would've had huge CHUVAS. Le Mans probably would've had a thunderstorm or two as well

Now racing is coming back, expect all worldwide rain to stop, unless it's 1 hour before a CUP race obviously.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schumifan wrote:
I vote two different threads because the GPs have different names, doesn't really matter though

As for rain -

:8:

posting weather before the race? you jinxed, race will be bone dry and boring

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A thread about the Styrian GP will be cool as hell. I vote for separe threads!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:05 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

At least the track is located in Styria ;)

Not like the Jochen Rindt Memorial Race held at Thruxton of all places back in F2.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1277542336248123393[/tweet]

Gorgeous! :8:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:19 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Think it'll look better on track, don't like the way it looks in the render.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:20 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I like it, hopefully at least on Hamiltons car stays like this for whole season, it looks better than in silver

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2447 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62123 Next