TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 170 71 72 73 7481 Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:17 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
secondly the new engine rules are the same and are even more restrictive on use (was this because no new manufacturer stepped up?)

Not really new since there isn't really anything new there? At some point it looked like MGU-H was going to be dropped (would have improved the sound too) and an even earlier plan included making them twin-turbos along with other changes making the cheaper and simpler, but then it all ended up being watered down and now nothing changes. We can only guess which one was the bigger reason and came first, no new OEMs being interested or the old OEMs not wanting to give away their gained expertise in MGU-H particularly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:17 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hot take: I'm going to wait and see how the cars race in '21 before passing judgement. I may even reserve judgement until more than 1 race has happened. And changing anything on the cars is cause for optimism, it's not like they could get worse.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:51 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Yea, same here. Few renderings aren't gonna impress me as history has shown that teams will find way to do something weird with the given rules and actual cars might be something else. Like 2009 and 2014 rule changes well demonstrated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:44 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

codename_47 wrote:
mclaren2008 wrote:
Are there going to be any new teams

There will probably be at least 2 less teams by 2021

Take your pick from Renault, Haas or Williams.

So much for it being cheaper :whistling: :whistling:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[tweet]https://twitter.com/rich_energy/status/1189985428897771522[/tweet]

uho...... Would they really come back? I cant see McLaren be that retarded to deal with them..... Cyril however. He probably loves Wild Bill. Both love to boast and neither deliver.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
if the first 5 races of 2021 are boring or show a walkover from only one driver then we must make a class action lawsuit against Liberty, FIA and the teams, specially the teams

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think a problem going into 2021 is that the new rules have been sold to everyone as the thing that's going to 'fix' F1 & as such I think a lot of people are going into '21 with high expectations that likely won't be met.

The racing may well be closer but cars running closer doesn't automatically guarantee a lot more overtaking. A budget cap with a more restrictive regulations won't necessarily make the field closer or more competitive because the top teams will still be the top teams with the most resources, Best facilities etc...

People need to keep expectations in check because while things may end up been better i'd be amazed if 2021 ends up been the magic bullet that F1 seems to be really hyping them to be & therefore what a lot of fans are going in believing they will be.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:47 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

StefMeister wrote:
I think a problem going into 2021 is that the new rules have been sold to everyone as the thing that's going to 'fix' F1 & as such I think a lot of people are going into '21 with high expectations that likely won't be met.

The racing may well be closer but cars running closer doesn't automatically guarantee a lot more overtaking. A budget cap with a more restrictive regulations won't necessarily make the field closer or more competitive because the top teams will still be the top teams with the most resources, Best facilities etc...

People need to keep expectations in check because while things may end up been better i'd be amazed if 2021 ends up been the magic bullet that F1 seems to be really hyping them to be & therefore what a lot of fans are going in believing they will be.

I agree, but then I also remember the first race of 2010, when Kubica and Sutil (I think) were punted off on the first lap, worked their way through the cars at the back pretty easily, and as a result the "overtake figures" showed a huge increase in the number of overtakes which a lot of people used as "proof" that the refuelling ban had made racing better, even though at the front there were virtually no passes in the entire race and the increase was simply because of those front-runners making their way through the backmarkers (off camera!). I think that was the exact moment I stopped reading those overtaking figures, because it became obvious it didn't really reflect how good a race was - 2010 ended up being a great year with bad racing

Equally, the following year, a lot of people (particularly in the media) were raving about just how much "action" there was through DRS and the degrading Pirellis and how close the racing at the front was, when actually a) a lot of the overtaking ended up pretty meaningless because of the tyre deg and b) Vettel spent most of the year about 2 seconds ahead of the rest of the field lap after lap, just out of DRS range, not because it was close and competitive but because he was completely controlling the races and never likely to lose. It was all a bit emperor's new clothes, and I think history is slowly reflecting that

So it works both ways - you'll get people saying it's rubbish when it's good, and vice versa. But I'm pretty optimistic and I trust Ross Brawn to get it right, because he's been proven to get most things right when he's given responsibility

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:07 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

2011-2016 was probably the best era for f1, particularly 2012-first half of 2013.
Not every pass was drs or tyre disparity related yet people ignored the good racing in favour of whining about drs or tyres
Coming after decades of refuelling strategy meaning most of the passing happened in pit lane, I was freaking ecstatic that we were seeing on track action of any kind.

But people still bitched about it based on their various loyalties and it resulted in the shitshow of the 2017 rule changes as apparently we must chase overall laptimes and apparently increasing downforce was the only way to do it :roll:

Interesting the naysayers are already out to throw scorn on people who are trying to right an already very wonky ship.
They might get it right, they might not, but at least let's give them a chance without being negative Nellies

Fact is, something had to be done, and so far they seem to be doing it for the right reasons, so I'm cautiously optimistic. So sue me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:38 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Liberty can't get out of its own way with these rule changes. It was what, two years ago that they raved about more powerful engines and faster lap times? Yet in 2021 the times will crumble down again to F2 level? And this is suppose to win the fans over? It's the exact opposite of what they were saying before 2017 :lol: Classic Yankee logic, it's all new so it's awesome!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

2010 Bahrain was made worse by the layout. The extra piece of track increased made the cars more spread up. Additionally as track was longer the race had less laps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vassago wrote:
Liberty can't get out of its own way with these rule changes. It was what, two years ago that they raved about more powerful engines and faster lap times? Yet in 2021 the times will crumble down again to F2 level? And this is suppose to win the fans over? It's the exact opposite of what they were saying before 2017 :lol: Classic Yankee logic, it's all new so it's awesome!

The 2017 lap record grabbing technical regulations were the brainchild of Jean Todt, he and the FIA wanted the increase in speed. Liberty didn’t acquire F1 until 2017 and just set about promoting its product, heavily. They pushed for these new rules because their on track product was pretty average.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What the video did not mention and even most news stories seemed to sideline is that more downforce will be created from the underfloor and the large diffuser. Even if FIA has gotten its calculations wrong and teams are again smarter than expected this is such a big design change that it has to make a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

maybe during the crash tests FIA could also make the teams go under dirty air tests and reject cars that disable the aerodynamics of the cars behind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:28 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Obviously I hope this works as expected, but a downside I see is that even minor damage do the floor of the car during a race will probably just force a team to retire the car. I know that might not be too different from what we see now, but it's still a bit concerning IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bleu wrote:
2010 Bahrain was made worse by the layout. The extra piece of track increased made the cars more spread up.
Something I think GP2 Asia proved.

2 weeks prior they had raced on the usual Bahrain GP layout & put on 2 fantastic races but on the extended track the same cars/drivers produced probably the 2 worst races that 1st gen GP2 car was used in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 am 

We don't talk about that Bahrain layout

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As expected, Giovinazzi's 2020 contract with Alfa Romeo has been confirmed.

I think it's a good move as he's shown moments of potential this season and deserves a second year in that seat to see what he can deliver. Plus as a Ferrari academy driver, it makes sense to utilize that seat for him rather than bringing in someone like Hulkenberg, who I presume will be off to IndyCar or Formula E now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
As expected, Giovinazzi's 2020 contract with Alfa Romeo has been confirmed.

I think it's a good move as he's shown moments of potential this season and deserves a second year in that seat to see what he can deliver. Plus as a Ferrari academy driver, it makes sense to utilize that seat for him rather than bringing in someone like Hulkenberg, who I presume will be off to IndyCar or Formula E now.
DTM for BMW, I heard.

Rather boring silly season by the way. No shocking announcements, no spectacular changes. So far only Ocon going to Renault, and Kubica leaving Formula 1 for good. It is not certain who will be in the second Red Bull seat and therefore who will be in the second Toro Rosso (or Alpha Tauri) seat. Assuming Russell stays at Williams, there is only one empty seat available for new blood, also at Williams. My money is on Latifi. Anything else?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

perhaps Williams will rent the seat to three pay drivers with spare cash to buy their way in, as Latifi wasn't that interested to drive the bomb formerly known as Williams

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 170 71 72 73 7481 Next